Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tell us about your kid's school.

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:35 PM
  • 42 Replies
It's a public school. There is only one class per grade at dd's elementary school, so it's rather small, but there are 4 elementary schools that feed into the junior high and high school. There are 26 kids in dd's class. It's a Title I school - which is a federal designation that means at least 40% of the school qualifies for aid with school lunches. The school is in a major metropolitan area, follows a balanced calendar, with barely 2 months off in the summer, and did away with common core standards.
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LovlyRita
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I live in a city of 129,000 just outside of Los Angeles, so millions live within 20 miles of us.

Our local school is 400 students. I believe we have 3, 4th grade classes this year. I am not positive in the numbers. I know that last year we reached capacity and they were threatening to send new families to other schools. It's a nice school with about 3 times the parental involvement than a similar school. We are rated a 9 in great schools.

I am not sure how many schools feed into the Middle School. They have about 1000 students and the city has 3 Middle Schools and 2 High Schools. Great Schools rating is a 10.
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:35 PM

I homeschool so I have no clue about the public schools here in regards to class size. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

LadyAmaranth
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:48 PM
The school they go to is considered a title 1 I believe.
It's celebrating its tenth anniversary this year.
There's about 20-22 kids per class. Each grade, K-5, has three classes.
Last I heard there were about 700 students.
It rates an 8 in GreatSchools and doing above average with all testing.
The teachers do lots of meetings to sharpen skills and each grade will group together so they are teaching on the same page as well as they have meetings to go over each child that a teacher feels needs extra help so they can make a plan to help that child. They want all kids to succeed and do what they can to see it happen.
They are, what they call, a S.T.E.A.M school(Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math).
cybcm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 4:16 PM
It's a small public school, built in the 1930s. They have 120 (140 is their capacity) students for years Prep-6 (we're in Australia, hence the different terminology- prep is what you guys call kindergarten). As is the norm with most schools here, it is a year-round school.

They have composite classes- two of each. Preps are on their own, in classes of around 8-10, then years 1/, 3/4 and 5/6 are classed together in classes of around 18. A lot of schools in Australia have composite classes, and there is a 2-year curriculum in place for those schools.

They were one of the first schools in the state to adopt the new kitchen garden curriculum, which is now mandatory. Once every two weeks each class has a day where they cook their own lunch, from ingredients they have grown themselves/eggs they have collected from the school chickens. They learn Japanese, and have a sister school in Japan that they do Skype sessions with in order to practice Japanese and English (back in my older kid's time it was penpals, oh how time has changed).

I've had 5 kids go through that school, only one is left, my 8yr old who starts grade 3 next week (ahh the end of summer holidays) and I have always been very happy with the school. The current principal came in when my oldest was in grade 1, and she is just fantastic.
canadianmom1974
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids early/middle years school is a dual track K-8 school. Dual track means they have both a French immersion track and an English track. The school is in the 'core' area of our city, so we have a lot of low income and immigrant families which makes the school very multicultural. Newsletters are sent home in English, French, Spanish, and Mandarin, though those are not the only languages spoken by students. Obviously we have a strong ESL program.

My kids are in the French immersion program, all their programming (other than English language arts) is done in French, math (mathématiques), science (sciences de la nature), social studies (science humaines), phys ed (éducatio physique et éducation à la santé), all done in French.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cowboygal
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 4:37 PM
My kids school is connected to the middle and high school. Middle on top floor and high school in the bottom. And elementary k-6 on another side. The cafeteria and public/school library in the middle. There are two classes per grade. They have about 24 kids in each class. Every grade starts at the same time and ends at the same time. We live in a town of 1450 in Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Pretty rural. 65 miles on way to next big city.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 23, 2016 at 11:16 PM

public in a rural area. over 80% of the students qualify for free and reduced lunch. Title one funding provides extra support staff and programs. There are 4 classes per grade level. Fl law mandates that primary classes can't have more than 18 students and 22 is the cap after that.  

Impressionists
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 11:32 PM
Strange about the law. Will have to ask.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

public in a rural area. over 80% of the students qualify for free and reduced lunch. Title one funding provides extra support staff and programs. There are 4 classes per grade level. Fl law mandates that primary classes can't have more than 18 students and 22 is the cap after that.  

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 23, 2016 at 11:36 PM

Are you in Florida? It's a Florida law. 

Quoting Impressionists: Strange about the law. Will have to ask.
Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Impressionists
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry. 11:30 at night and I mistook Fl for T1.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Are you in Florida? It's a Florida law. 

Quoting Impressionists: Strange about the law. Will have to ask.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)