Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I mention this to her mother?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:19 PM
  • 44 Replies

So I teach 4th grade catechism (Sunday school, religious education, whatever you want to call it) at our church.  I've done so for quite a few years now and really enjoy 4th grade because the kids are old enough that you aren't doing every little thing for them and you can have some great discussions with them about the world aroud us.  Although at this age, the maturity gap between the kids on the older end of the spectrum and the younger kids becomes glaringly obvious.

One of the little girls in my class sucks her thumb pretty during class on a very regular basis.  So far none of the other children have said anything about it and I honestly wouldn't permit them to be mean to her because of it.  However, I can't help but wonder if this is something that I should bring to her mother's attention.  I do casually know her mother through PTA, so it isn't like I'd be a total stranger, but I certainly wouldn't call us friends either.

What would you do?

by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wife-4-life
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:24 PM
4th grade is way to old to be sucking a thumb. I'd defintely say something if I knew the parent. If I didn't know them then improbably wouldn't. I doubt it will change anything though. I'm sure the mom is aware of it. How could she not?
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:25 PM
5 moms liked this
I can't believe that the mom would not know. I wouldn't say a thing.
2babymomma
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:27 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm sure the mother is well aware that her child is a thumb sucker. She's more than likely trying to stop it bit it is a very hard habit to break. Some people never stop.
Bieg9093
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Have you told the child to stop? 

Don't text and drive. 

That doesn't mean you can look at your phone at red lights or stop signs or if you think you can do it quickly or if traffic's slow.  Just don't.  You're an adult.  Exercise some impulse control.  Quit driving like a 4 year old. 

Pukalani79
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:40 PM
I would not say anything. The mom probably is very aware of it
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

No and that is something that I would't ever do.  I don't want to draw attention to it and embarrass the child.  She's painfully immature to begin with and I certainly don't want to make things worse for her.

Quoting Bieg9093:

Have you told the child to stop? 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:46 PM

I'm sure that the mother has to know that her child is still a thumb sucker.  However, I wonder if her mother knows that she sucks her thumb in a classroom setting?

Quoting 2babymomma: I'm sure the mother is well aware that her child is a thumb sucker. She's more than likely trying to stop it bit it is a very hard habit to break. Some people never stop.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:46 PM

I'm sure that the mother has to know that her child is still a thumb sucker.  However, I wonder if her mother knows that she sucks her thumb in a classroom setting?

Quoting Pukalani79: I would not say anything. The mom probably is very aware of it

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:48 PM

I probably wouldn't unless the other kids start trying to make fun of her for it. If that happens, I'd go with, "I just wanted to let you know the other kids are starting to make comments about Suzy's thumb-sucking in class."

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:49 PM

I'm sure that she knows, but I wonder if she knows how often her dd is sucking her thumb.  All of us have bad habits that we do in the comfort of our own home, yet wouldn't dream of doing them while out in public.  I just wonder if her mom knows that its happening in a classroom setting as well.

I really feel for this little girl and would hate for the other kids to tease her over this.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: I can't believe that the mom would not know. I wouldn't say a thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)