Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where do you draw the line

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:45 PM
  • 26 Replies
On tablets?

Dd is not really into video games or things like that, she just started liking mine raft and asked to play for 30 minutes every Saturday, we said fine as long as she does the things she's supposed to do.

She also gets the iPad on long car rides like going to Disney since it is a 4 hour drive from home, we do not take the tablet to restaurants, she can play there wth our iPhones when she's done and the adults are talking (I look at it as the toys and coloring books parents used to carry but all in one small convenient package) and that's it.

Today we went to watch Kumg Fu Panda 3 and sitting next to us were to boys around 6 and 4, as expected, they were moving around and talking, they are kids (dh learned early on the oldest boy's name since mom kept telling him to stop) and I noticed they had an iPad to keep the little one entertained... While they were watching a kid's movie...

Then on the way out from the mall, I see 2 little girls coming in, one was about 18 months in the stroller and the other one about 3 walking, both with a head set and holding on to a tablet, the 2 adult women with them were talking on the phone and completely ignoring the kids.

I could only wonder is this how our society is now? Am I getting too old?
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:53 PM
I don't limit tablets at home.
They are not addicted, and it is not necessary to limit them at home.
We don't use them at the dinner/dining room table and we don't take them to restaurants.
They only come out of the house on long car trips and vacations during the summer.
Pukalani79
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this
They don't use them at the table or if we are doing family activities.
coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:20 PM
I don't limit them but they've never asked to take them out of the house. They're allowed for long trips (VA Beach was over 5 hours) but that's it.

When DS was 4 we did allow him to bring the portable DVD player to dinner on our cruise. I had assumed that dinner would drag on and he'd be bored and disturb the other diners but I was wrong. He was much better behaved than my 8 year old cousin and we stopped bringing it to dinner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Gwen on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:21 PM

The examples you give are crazy and sad.

I don't limit too much at home, but they don't use them too much. But I don't allow them in the car, even on long road trips. They can read, listen to music and books on tape etc instead.

squeekers
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:23 PM

DD was little before tablets, ipods, ipads, cell phones. If we were going somewhere of distance, she was to bring books and read aloud to us. She read the entire Captain Underpants series over one summer.

KitKatt27
by Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't have tablets, but we have a 3DS. He can play it if his chores are done and I allow him to take it to bed (where the charger is). He plays it a bit before bed to unwind. It helps him fall asleep faster. Usually he falls asleep within 5-10 minutes.

He also brings it when we go out places that aren't kid friendly. Like if we have to go to a doctor's appointment and we are sitting in a waiting room for hours, or long car rides, or we were out shopping and then go to a restaurant that is taking forever. It keeps him occupied just like any other thing a parent would bring. It's the same concept as pulling a toy from a diaper bag. It just happens to be a video game.

There are also lots of therapies that utilize tablets nowadays. Especially for kiddos with autism. There are all kinds of great things that tablets can do. I get really annoyed when people roll their eyes at parents just trying to get their grocery shopping done because they have a child sitting in the cart with a tablet and a headset.

So while you assume some negativity over society changing and adapting, remember that window you are looking through isn't always crystal clear. Everyone's situation is different.

Mrs.Bolin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:49 PM

The tablets are getting redicules. I do not allow my kids on my phone at all unless they have to call 911. I am old school and take books, toys and crayons. I do let my daughter take her Nabi tablet for long car rides and to the doctors office but the time is still limited. When the timer on the tablet goes off then there are books etc. 

My oldest is 7 and she loves MineCraft as my husband and I love playing it too. If her room is clean, she has behaved well and homework is done. I set the tablet timer for 1 hour on school days. On weekend she can play for an hour with break and maybe at the end of the day for another hour. But i just worry about my kid and not anyone elses. 

Khooks
by Jessica on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:59 PM
I don't limit it per se, if I notice he's been on electronics too long I say that's enough do something else. Also, not allowed at the table or family activities. He does ask to bring it in the car and he'll play his own music with headphones. Unless we're at somewhere that involves a long wait and quiet it stays in the car.
terpmama
by Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 10:18 PM
We have leappads (not the Internet enables ones)... They get them for long car rides, doctor appointments (when siblings are getting checked, or mommy has to see the doc), any time that mom or dad needs to be in a meeting (happens rarely as they usually are with the other parent or my sister but occasionally they have to go with) ... At home we don't use often them because they don't ask and it isn't needed. My oldest (7) has to finish his homework before he's allowed on the family desktop (educational sites and supervised) and no video games on school nights.
ljmom24
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 10:26 PM
We don't limit them at home but my kids aren't home that much. They aren't allowed to bring them out if we are just running errands. We let them bring them grandmas on Christmas because they were new. We went to celebrate grandpas bday today and they stayed home. Theirs only works on wifi by our choice so limited to what they can do with them outside the house anyway. My little one falls asleep when in the car any longer then 30 min so long car rides not an issue. Older one just listens to music on headphones. I get mad at Dh for playing with his phone at a restaurant so not letting the kids and I just can't see using a tablet at a movie unless there are other issues going on. I'm not gonna judge my friend has 2 autistic kids and the iPad is a life saver.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)