Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are These Pretty Basic Questions

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:49 PM
  • 56 Replies

Working on the 30 page packet to enroll dd in a new district. Some of the questions seemed intrusive. However I might be just paranoid. For anyone who has recently enrolled their kids did you have similar questions to these?? Some I felt were unnecessary and others just seemed they should be on a preschool application. (The district does not offer preschool) Maybe a teacher could explain why they ask some of these?

Age of mother at birth of the child?

Were parents married when child was born?

Are there two full time parents in the home?

How long have parents been married?

Age child was potty trained? Age they started to walk? Age they could dress themselves? Age they could feed themselves?

Please describe emotional state of your household

How would your rate the communication level between yourself and your child?

I'm not mad about any of the questions just a little surprised to see them. They gave me pause. *This is a public school*

by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:54 PM

I've never enrolled my kids in public school..only private and our school did not ask any of those. 

I don't understand why the age of the mother and whether the parents were married when the child was born would be necessary. It is intrusive IMO..

I can understand ( somewhat) the query about having 2 full time parents. They look to be determining if there is a custody issue at play and whether both parents can pick up/be present for the child(ren). 

Asking about the child...those seem bizarre for a public school unless someone is looking for an IEP/ 504 for a SN child. 

I have to say those would give me pause as well and I am not sure if I would answer them..

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Khooks
by Jessica on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:08 PM
I wouldn't answer those questions.
Sydel
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:10 PM

It did ask about IEP/504 and I answered no. These questions were not anywhere near those questions. I double backed to make sure I was suppose to be answering them. Like if you answered no please skip. But there was nothing like that.

I can see the full time parent and personality question but why does it matter how old I was when she was born? That was the first question where I was like wait.. what did I just read?! LOL

Quoting mcginnisc:

I've never enrolled my kids in public school..only private and our school did not ask any of those. 

I don't understand why the age of the mother and whether the parents were married when the child was born would be necessary. It is intrusive IMO..

I can understand ( somewhat) the query about having 2 full time parents. They look to be determining if there is a custody issue at play and whether both parents can pick up/be present for the child(ren). 

Asking about the child...those seem bizarre for a public school unless someone is looking for an IEP/ 504 for a SN child. 

I have to say those would give me pause as well and I am not sure if I would answer them..

2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:15 PM

I hoenstly don't remember what questions we had. I have seen these kinds of questions before but don't remember what for. 

I think it is just a way for the school to get a better idea of where your child is including emotionally.

If your household was going through a divorce, it gives you a way to let them know along with whether your child is developmentally behind etc.

Doesn't bother me to answer stuff like that and my answers are not very typical, LOL.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:30 PM

Quoting Sydel:

It did ask about IEP/504 and I answered no. These questions were not anywhere near those questions. I double backed to make sure I was suppose to be answering them. Like if you answered no please skip. But there was nothing like that.

I can see the full time parent and personality question but why does it matter how old I was when she was born? That was the first question where I was like wait.. what did I just read?! LOL

Quoting mcginnisc:

I don't blame you...those are odd. I would probably ask them *why* they need to know these things before consenting to answer them. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Sebbiemama
by Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:50 PM

I don't remember those kinds of questions! It is kind of weird but I would probably answer them. I'm not sensitive about any of that so there's no reason not to. I'd probably just skip any question that made me uncomfortable (assuming an answer is not required). 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:59 PM

I don't remember being asked any of those questions, not even for the private preschool dd went to.

I'm pretty open with most things, so I would probably go ahead and answer the questions.

Sydel
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:03 PM

I answered the first few without pause but when it asked my age at birth of child I'm not gonna lie I stopped and was WTH. Packet is completed in full. Just need to get her immunization record and I can turn it in.

Quoting wakymom:

I don't remember being asked any of those questions, not even for the private preschool dd went to.

I'm pretty open with most things, so I would probably go ahead and answer the questions.

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 5:15 PM

I have never been asked ANY of those questions when enrolling my kids in school, and they've been in several schools in several states.

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Mar. 11, 2016 at 5:23 PM
Yes, they are basic questions.
I remember from registering for kindergarten.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)