Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Principal Threatens to Arrest Parents Who Walk Their Kids Home From School

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:33 AM
  • 23 Replies

Principal Threatens to Arrest Parents Who Walk Their Kids Home From School

Liz Alterman

school bans walking home from schoolPicking up kids from school isn't typically a pleasant ordeal. But if you have the luxury of living within walking distance, getting a little fresh air, exercise, and quality time together can be beneficial for all -- which is why we're shocked that one school in Texas has banned parents from walking their kids home.

The principal at Bear Branch Elementary has deemed the practice "unsafe" and is so serious about it, parents have said she's threatened to have them arrested if they try to walk their little ones home.

So, what are your options? Your kids can either ride the bus, or parents and caregivers can wait in lines that take up to one hour to get through. Wow, sounds like a lose-lose for kids, parents, and, oh wait, the environment!

Even parents who live just blocks away are being forced to drive. What do you do if your car breaks down? And how is this even within the principal's purview to dictate how a child gets home? As you'd imagine, irate parents are pulling their kids out of Bear Branch Elementary and placing them in private schools. Who could blame them?

The principal's argument is that the school is located near a five-lane highway. Still, what about crossing guards, lights, and the importance of teaching children how to safely navigate a busy street? We can understand not wanting youngsters crossing a major highway alone, but for ones who live just feet away from the school, let's not put more cars on the road and pollution in the air needlessly.

Many times schools opt for a one-size-fits-all solution to an issue and it ends up backfiring. It sounds like that's the case here. Also, where do you draw the line? What if a lake is nearby? That can present a drowning issue. How about a ferocious dog who may escape from a home? Who dictates what is too dangerous? Usually, it is the parent.

While this principal might have the safety of students in mind, she's overstepped her bounds.

Is the principal out of line?

by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Khooks
by Jessica on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:51 AM
I would challenge that principle to call the police. Once you're off school property and the police come they can't arrest you for walking. I've considered walking to go get my son before. It's a little over a mile and we walk that regularly around the neighborhood but I usually just wait for the bus.
eztwins
by Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:54 AM
3 moms liked this
My response would be go ahead! The police would laugh at him. In order to arrest someone they must break a LAW not a policy of a institution.

Schools have been increasingly over reaching for some time now and it's time parents push them back in their place.
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sure there is a very good and parent caused reason for this policy.

My kids have gone to a school where a lot of kids walked (because they were close to the school) and what happened was parents decided that after Kindergarten (sometimes even DURING Kindergarten) that they just couldn't be bothered to get their kid to/from school allowing their 5-6yo to walk alone, because it was just a couple blocks. Well I'm here to tell you that kids even in Middle School act stupid while walking occasionally, and the amount of kids that ran in front of my car (and other cars) was astonishing. And there were cops supervising street crossing, kids couldn't be bothered to act safely, and their lazy parents didn't care if the kid made it home or not, so it was basically just kids running all over the place like lunatics, it was like a game of Frogger but instead of the frog trying not to get hit, it was trying to get hit. And I was the weird parent because I went and got my kids from school, and also taught them how to cross roads, but I'm one of those weirdos that actually likes their kids so there is that.

Kids trying to become the road kill because their parents are lazy assholes is likely the reason for this policy. It's not the principal being a big meanie face, she doesn't want to deal with the paper work because little Johnny got his ass run over because his idiot mom thought it was okay for him to walk home alone at 5 yrs old.

There is a solution that doesn't involve making every parent drive and "kill" the environment (like Texas gives a f**k about the environment...HA!) it's called carpooling. Moms can make groups with their friends and use their minivans for good. I drive a sedan, even I could get 2 extra kids to/from school without issue. That line wouldn't be awful and terrible and an hour long if parents used the good sense that God gave a goose for a change.

SamZ123
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:28 AM

I don't see where the problem is if the kids are older (second grade and up) but for younger kids, I think it is crazy. My kids walk to and from school every day by themselves when they are coming to my house. When they go to their dad's house, they get picked up in a car or they ride the town bus system.

Winterbaby33
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:32 AM
I don't drive. My dh works. And I can't afford cabs. So before my two younger boys began homeschooling I would walk my kids home. My school would not bus as we were three blocks from school.

So if I was told this, I would have to say call the fucking cops. I have zero other ways to get these kids home. I'm pretty positive the cops would laugh at her.
Winterbaby33
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this
But they are banning parents from picking up their kids. For me I would have to have my kids walk alone, BECAUSE they are saying you cannot pick your kid up, I don't drive, legally I am not allowed to, (eye issues). I wouldn't be able to afford a cab, we are too close for them to be bussed, and dad works.

My kids are homeschooled now but before I would walk them to and from school every day.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

My kids have gone to a school where a lot of kids walked (because they were close to the school) and what happened was parents decided that after Kindergarten (sometimes even DURING Kindergarten) that they just couldn't be bothered to get their kid to/from school allowing their 5-6yo to walk alone, because it was just a couple blocks. Well I'm here to tell you that kids even in Middle School act stupid while walking occasionally, and the amount of kids that ran in front of my car (and other cars) was astonishing. And there were cops supervising street crossing, kids couldn't be bothered to act safely, and their lazy parents didn't care if the kid made it home or not, so it was basically just kids running all over the place like lunatics, it was like a game of Frogger but instead of the frog trying not to get hit, it was trying to get hit. And I was the weird parent because I went and got my kids from school, and also taught them how to cross roads, but I'm one of those weirdos that actually likes their kids so there is that.

Kids trying to become the road kill because their parents are lazy assholes is likely the reason for this policy. It's not the principal being a big meanie face, she doesn't want to deal with the paper work because little Johnny got his ass run over because his idiot mom thought it was okay for him to walk home alone at 5 yrs old.

There is a solution that doesn't involve making every parent drive and "kill" the environment (like Texas gives a f**k about the environment...HA!) it's called carpooling. Moms can make groups with their friends and use their minivans for good. I drive a sedan, even I could get 2 extra kids to/from school without issue. That line wouldn't be awful and terrible and an hour long if parents used the good sense that God gave a goose for a change.

RheaF
by Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:42 AM
In our area, if you live within a certain distance busses won't drive you. I would tell the principle to call the police! They won't do anything. Walking your child anywhere is not a crime. Unless they are walking on the highway.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:56 AM
I wpd have told the idiot.principal to try and have me arrested and that if he refused to allow ME to pick up MY child it is kidnapping and he would be in jail!
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:32 AM

They're saying that kids can't walk home. With a parent or otherwise, and it's likely because parents are lazy assholes, not all of them, but enough that let their kids become a safety issue that a rule was needed.  Any time a school, business, or HOA makes a decision that seems mean and unfair you can bet your biscuits it's because of some assholes that ruined it for everyone else. If there is anyone to be pissed at in this situation and story it's the parents not the principal.

And if I had a neighbor that didn't drive (for whatever reason) and they had a kid at the same school as my kid and I was going there anyway I would be more than happy to get their kids from school. It's just being a decent human being.

Quoting Winterbaby33: But they are banning parents from picking up their kids. For me I would have to have my kids walk alone, BECAUSE they are saying you cannot pick your kid up, I don't drive, legally I am not allowed to, (eye issues). I wouldn't be able to afford a cab, we are too close for them to be bussed, and dad works. My kids are homeschooled now but before I would walk them to and from school every day.
Quoting mom2jessnky:

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:06 PM

We have a similiar rule but not as strict parents can walk with their student but students can not walk without an adult until 7th grade.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)