Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bus Rules - Does Your School Do This?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:57 AM
  • 25 Replies

A facebook friend posted a rant this morning about how unfair the bus garage was being.

Apparently she called them and asked if her son could ride home with his cousin and they told her no.

They stated all students must ride home on their assigned buses for security reasons.

She said back in her day parents didn't even have to call the bus garage. All kids had to do was bring a note and they would let them on.

I know that with our garage you can not bring a note but you can call the garage and get approval and they will put it in their computer system. To get approval they must talk to both parents invovled and I think a medical emergency form is required.

Thoughts? Do you know your district rules when it comes to riding home with friends?

by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Beautifulmom513
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:04 AM

Our school district does not allow it. At least at elementary level. Not sure about older kids. At elementary level, all kids have a bus tag on their back packs saying what bus they are suppose to be on. The driver checks it as kids are getting on bus. If they don't have tag or right number, they can't get on. They are very strict about it. As far as taking different bus home, you can request another tag. You have to get principal approval tho. I had a situation a few years back where I babysat for a family nearby. Same district and school my son goes to. But different bus number. There was some days where I was working, and some days I was at home. I had to talk to principal and get her approval to get a second bus tag for my son so he could go on bus to home where I babysat instead of bus home. So he had the 2. He knew which days he was suppose to take which bus. I understand their reasoning for how they do it and have no problem with it. 

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:05 AM

I don't see anything wrong with that rule at all. What stops a kid from saying their mom wants them to go home with friend when mom didn't say that at all? Nothing. Then kid doesn't show up, mom loses her mind, the school and transportation depts, and cops all get involved, no one has any clue where the kid is and a huge mess ensues.

I'm totally fine with that being a rule. And back in the day they put lead in gas, paint, and everything else and then we learned that lead isn't really our friend, so the "back in my day" excuse isn't a good one. Here's an idea for your friend, if you want your kid to go to her friend's house after school maybe arrange for them to be car riders that day? What a concept.

I don't know if the school has rules or not, my kids' friends all live in the 'hood or in the one next to it, and they know they have to come home from school first, then we'll talk about the friend thing. And when I was in school they didn't just allow random kids to get on the bus and go home with friends, so this isn't even a new thing to me.

Sydel
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:10 AM

Neither of my girls have ever gone home with a friend. We have had friends come home with us but they either walked or were picked up by me or dh.

I understand the rule for it and think it's silly to get upset over. Dd2 goes to an afterschool program. She is listed under two different buses. But if she tried to get on a third she would be stopped and not allowed on.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I don't see anything wrong with that rule at all. What stops a kid from saying their mom wants them to go home with friend when mom didn't say that at all? Nothing. Then kid doesn't show up, mom loses her mind, the school and transportation depts, and cops all get involved, no one has any clue where the kid is and a huge mess ensues.

I'm totally fine with that being a rule. And back in the day they put lead in gas, paint, and everything else and then we learned that lead isn't really our friend, so the "back in my day" excuse isn't a good one. Here's an idea for your friend, if you want your kid to go to her friend's house after school maybe arrange for them to be car riders that day? What a concept.

I don't know if the school has rules or not, my kids' friends all live in the 'hood or in the one next to it, and they know they have to come home from school first, then we'll talk about the friend thing. And when I was in school they didn't just allow random kids to get on the bus and go home with friends, so this isn't even a new thing to me.

2lilshamrocks
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Our current school district here in TN doesn't allow it either.  Every student has to ride their own assigned bus, no ifs ands or buts about it.  We moved to TN from northern IN.  Our district in IN did allow for students to ride with other students as long as both parents wrote a note of permission.  I really miss those days!  It really does make it a little more difficult to have friends visit after school, but like anything with our kids these days, especially school related, no fun anymore.  Just no fun!  :-(

rhymia
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:47 AM

Our district allows kids to take other buses so long as there is a note. My kids have had friends over and take the bus home with them and they've gone home on the bus with friends. I haven't had an issue.  

That said I know the have been issues with families who may use day care after school. Sometimes plans change and the child is supposed to go right home and winds up at day care, or vice versa. We've had a couple kids dropped off to an empty house...so I can see why some districts make rules against it. 

Hoos456
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:52 AM
It's not allowed. In my district, you have to pay for the bus service so they will not let a kid on if the parent didn't sign them up or pay for it.

In my old district, I'm not sure about the actual rules, but the bus driver use to let my nieces and nephews get off the bus at my house. They never asked me or my parents (their guardians) of it was ok. My niece just told the driver that when my car is in the driveway, I'm home and I don't care. I never cared and I was ok with it, but it shocked me the first time she came walking in my house lol. I lived a block away from my parents, so if I wasn't home, she/them could easily walk home.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:14 AM
When my kids did take the bus, there was no switching. You were only allowed on your assigned bus.
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:51 AM

You can get a bus transfer note in our school as long as it isn't a common occurrence.  We do it through the school; we aren't supposed to call the bus company.

sissyboogs
by Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:53 AM
We have to go to the administrative office and fill out paperwork. It's a pain in the ass.
Khooks
by Jessica on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:57 AM
In pretty sure you can at our school with a note 24hrs in advance. I know any change in pickup needs 24hr approval.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)