• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She Tells Me Nothing!

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:27 AM
  • 25 Replies

Went to parent teacher conferences last night. Was informed that dd has been going to a theatre group once a week during school hours since November.

Dd's teacher broke her leg and did not do fall conferences so this is my first time corresponding face to face all school year. She said she was so proud of dd's work in the theatre group, then informed me that dd was suppose to be in a play at the art gala a few months back but apparently couldn't go because we had something going on.

I knew nothing about this! I never saw paperwork and she never mentioned it. When I got home I asked her about it.

Her response- Yeah I wanted to be a lamb but they made me a flower so I told her I wasn't going.

Me- You never told me you were going to be in a play. I would have liked to have seen you as a flower.

Her- It was going to be a surprise. But I didn't want to be a flower. Maybe next time you can come see me when I'm not a flower.

This is not the first time she has kept stuff from me. She won a coloring contest I didn't even know she participated in and went on a limo ride and a trip to Jimmy Jones for winning a citizenship award. I found out about it when another mom posted a pic online of the kids standing outside the limo.  I ask her about her day every night. I ask questions. She usually just says it was good. Tells me about lunch and playing with her friends. She talks about who has a crush on who and who got their feelings hurt or was being mean on the playground. But never hey mom I won an award or am in a play. *sigh*

Anyone else have a kid who leaves them in the dark?

by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shellybird
by Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:38 AM

Yup, and then she is horrible about breaking down about how "You don't even know what I am going through at school!"

Well DD if you would tell me when I ask how your day went I would know then.  So know I have to backtrack and get the school story first before dealing with the current issue that made her upset in the first place.

*sigh*

I can't wait till she really gets hormones!

Sydel
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:43 AM

LOL I have a teen and the hormones are lots of fun. Dd2 usually tells me about any and all drama. She is everyone's friend and hasn't had too many issues. Usually when there is some physical altercation she is equally at fault for "accidently" pushing or rough housing with the other participant.

I just hate that she doesn't tell me good things. Like in between telling me about how yummy her cantalope was and how she traded Shopkins with A she couldn't mention that she was the student of the month??

Quoting shellybird:

Yup, and then she is horrible about breaking down about how "You don't even know what I am going through at school!"

Well DD if you would tell me when I ask how your day went I would know then.  So know I have to backtrack and get the school story first before dealing with the current issue that made her upset in the first place.

*sigh*

I can't wait till she really gets hormones!

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:24 PM

Ds1 forgets out-of-the-ordinary stuff like awards.

Ds2 remembers to tell me stuff like that because he loves any excuse to take the cell phone he and dd share to school with him, and things like a theater group would be after school.

Dd tells me everything, even things I don't necessarily want to know : )

canadianmom1974
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:28 PM
Well here, to take the kids off school grounds they need a signed waiver, so I'd have known about a limo ride. When my kids have gotten awards, their teachers have emailed me (and kept the award a secret), but the kids are pretty good at keeping me informed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marti123
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:46 PM
That made me laugh!

DS1 is just laid back, he doesn't have too much to say. Sadly he only mentions accomplishments, oh say, when he has lost screen time, and seems to suddenly want to debate his behavior is not as bad as I perceive.

DS2 is not bright enough to remember. Poor guy.

DD at 2 years old tells me more abou her day the the first two put together.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2016 at 9:14 AM

If it were my child, I would discuss with her that she's not old enough to be making those types of decisions on her own. I would let her know there will be consequences next time if she doesn't let you know ahead of time.  

I agree that at our school, we require parental permission for off campus activities.

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2016 at 9:18 AM
DD tells me EVERYTHING about her day. It's not all it's cracked up to be. I hear about everything that happened to her and her friends. DS says nothing, he's pretty quiet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2016 at 9:39 AM

What type of decisions is she not old enough to be making?

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

If it were my child, I would discuss with her that she's not old enough to be making those types of decisions on her own. I would let her know there will be consequences next time if she doesn't let you know ahead of time.  

I agree that at our school, we require parental permission for off campus activities.

GleekingOut
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2016 at 9:39 AM

This. I would have had to sign permission for her to enter the competition too - especially if it involved a trip off school grounds.

Quoting canadianmom1974: Well here, to take the kids off school grounds they need a signed waiver, so I'd have known about a limo ride. When my kids have gotten awards, their teachers have emailed me (and kept the award a secret), but the kids are pretty good at keeping me informed.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2016 at 10:02 AM

Deciding if she's going to be in a play or not.  Especially since she lied to the teacher about why she wasn't going to be there.  That's a decision she and her parents should be making together.

If she practiced for a while to be in the play, even if she felt her role wasn't important, she and her parents should have decided if she was going to opt out or not.  

Quoting GleekingOut:

What type of decisions is she not old enough to be making?

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)