Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Big Swim Suit Debate

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:44 AM
  • 136 Replies

Spring is here... Well not so much in Ohio where there is still snow but according to the calender it's spring.

This year I broke down and gave dd2 a bikini for summer. She is 8 years old and been asking forone. This is something I would never have allowed for dd1. She's 14 and just got her first bikini. 

But as I've gotten older my views have changed. I don't think it's right teach our girl's to be ashamed of their bodies or to cover up out of fear that a bad man could be looking or could hurt them.  I don't think covering up makes you more or less modest. I think that's a mind set and your values and actions are more important then your choice of swimwear.

Here is a picture of her suit. I got it at Wal-Mart when I was making her Easter basket.I also got her a cute terry cloth romber to wear over it for when she's not in the water.

* Website picture

What is your stance on little girls in bikinis? Yay or Nay? And Why?

by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4wildbeasts
by Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:03 PM
7 moms liked this
I think that one looks cute. I am against the ones that look like bras on top, but not enough to actually care if it isn't my child. My personal thoughts are that I don't want my daughter wearing a two piece to look good for others, but if it is more comfortable for her then I am fine with it. Using the restroom in a one piece swimsuit is a major pain in the butt.
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I think that suit is totally adorable and age appropriate.

engagedandproud
by Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm getting dd a tankini
almburr
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:04 PM
I have no problem with bikinis. That's all my girls have ever had.
SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I finally caved when dd was 10, still no triangle tops.
my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:09 PM
3 moms liked this

That one is not horrible. I probarly would let my dd's wear one like that. I hate the "string" bikinis for kids. Those triangles do not stay in place and cover properly.  I personally perfer a tankini. I'm not teaching my kids to be ashamed of their bodies but to respect them that they are not objects.  If a person only wants you because you look hot in a bikini and not what your mind and personality is then it will not last. My oldest didn't get a bikini til she bought her own.

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:12 PM
6 moms liked this
It's an absolute no for me. I'll do a tankini, but no bikinis or monokinis here. It has nothing to do with shame or the risk of perverts here, but respect for self, modesty and age appropriateness. IMHO, bikinis are women's clothing. Like it or not, it's a very sexualized garment and not something appropriate for a small child to wear. I want my DDS to learn to carry themselves with confidence and grace without leading with their sexuality. When they are teenagers I'll reconsider, but for now, something more modest is what they'll get.
Sydel
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Are you suggesting that a child who wears a bikini lacks confidence and grace? Where you raised the same way when it came to covering up? I'm just curious.

Modesty is a big debate in general. I don't think one person is more right than the other. My teen has legs for days and has always been modest. She is very big on layering. I'm pretty conservative in the way I dress as well. It's how I was raised. My youngest however is more free. I think if she could, she'd just walk around naked! I have to constantly talk to her about sitting properly and wearing shorts under her dresses and skirts.

I don't think at 8 years old she plans on leading anything with her sexuality. She is a competitive swimmer and owns close to 25 swim suits. I think she wanted the bikini because she honestly just likes them. 

Quoting shadow_lark: It's an absolute no for me. I'll do a tankini, but no bikinis or monokinis here. It has nothing to do with shame or the risk of perverts here, but respect for self, modesty and age appropriateness. IMHO, bikinis are women's clothing. Like it or not, it's a very sexualized garment and not something appropriate for a small child to wear. I want my DDS to learn to carry themselves with confidence and grace without leading with their sexuality. When they are teenagers I'll reconsider, but for now, something more modest is what they'll get.

Sydel
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

That's how I am. I've never been in public and looked at someone else's kid and thought OMG. Now grown women. I am guilty of people watching.

Quoting 4wildbeasts: I think that one looks cute. I am against the ones that look like bras on top, but not enough to actually care if it isn't my child. My personal thoughts are that I don't want my daughter wearing a two piece to look good for others, but if it is more comfortable for her then I am fine with it. Using the restroom in a one piece swimsuit is a major pain in the butt.

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:32 PM
No, not at all. I don't remember it even being an issue when I was a little kid. Back in the 90's I don't even remember seeing bikinis in the swimwear section, by the time it was available to me i was old enough to wear one. In other ways I just followed moms example. It was given that if you wore a dress you wore tights underneath etc...I've always been more of a jeans and tee shirt kind of girl though.

It's hard for me to explain my opinion here. Maybe it simply doesn't make sense lol, but it's how I feel.

Quoting Sydel:

Are you suggesting that a child who wears a bikini lacks confidence and grace? Where you raised the same way when it came to covering up? I'm just curious.

Modesty is a big debate in general. I don't think one person is more right than the other. My teen has legs for days and has always been modest. She is very big on layering. I'm pretty conservative in the way I dress as well. It's how I was raised. My youngest however is more free. I think if she could, she'd just walk around naked! I have to constantly talk to her about sitting properly and wearing shorts under her dresses and skirts.

I don't think at 8 years old she plans on leading anything with her sexuality. She is a competitive swimmer and owns close to 25 swim suits. I think she wanted the bikini because she honestly just likes them. 

Quoting shadow_lark: It's an absolute no for me. I'll do a tankini, but no bikinis or monokinis here. It has nothing to do with shame or the risk of perverts here, but respect for self, modesty and age appropriateness. IMHO, bikinis are women's clothing. Like it or not, it's a very sexualized garment and not something appropriate for a small child to wear. I want my DDS to learn to carry themselves with confidence and grace without leading with their sexuality. When they are teenagers I'll reconsider, but for now, something more modest is what they'll get.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)