Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Common core thoughts? Article added

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:41 AM
  • 55 Replies
http://www.iflscience.com/editors-blog/teacher-marks-child-s-55515-answer-incorrect

This is my opinion.

If for a team project you have 15 people and need 5 groups of 3 to give the assignments because there 5 stations to work at, you cannot show up with 3 groups of 5 and that is what this "new" math is all about, you cannot just memorize facts, you need logic to survive in the world.

The simple answer indeed is 15, but the student was asked to show something that had already been taught and explained to him, so the answer is partially wrong.

* this is what the article says:

The web has kicked up a storm after a child was marked as incorrect for saying "5+5+5=15"on a grade school math test.

The question simply asked to use repeated addition to solve 5x3. The math question is a typical question set by the Common Core for third graders. However, under the guidelines for the Common Core, you supposed to understand 5x3 as “five groups of three” not “three groups of five.”

The child was then marked down again for drawing six rows of four instead of four rows of six.

The image was originally uploaded to Imgur and Reddit around a week ago where many commenters were infuriated by the overly pedantic “by-the-book” thinking. One popular comment on the Reddit post said, “So now you just took a kid who was doing well at math, confused them, and turned them off of it with your continuous nit picking of shit that doesn't matter.”

by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lenashark
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:15 AM

I hate sites like that and I can't stand parents who throw a fit and blame everything on common core without bothering to learn anything about it. It isn't "according to common core" this is wrong, it is according to the stradegy that they were specifically asked to use, that is not the correct answer. Common core just says that they should know certain stradegies, which they should, it doesn't decide how those stradegies work or say how they should be taught. In repeated addition strategy, you multiple the second number the first number, not the other way around, so its adding five threes, not adding three fives. The student was incorrect.

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Your link doesn't work?

But I agree with the PP people just LOVE to scream how evil Common Core is and about new math, instead of calming down and realizing that if you don't do a problem correctly it's NOT correct.

If you're told to build a bird house and you build a dog house instead you can't blame common core, yes they're both houses for animals, BUT you were told to build a bird house, it doesn't matter if you built a house and you built a bigger one than asked, you're still wrong and you still didn't follow directions. 

artemisa3001
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:48 AM
I added the info from the article.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Your link doesn't work?

But I agree with the PP people just LOVE to scream how evil Common Core is and about new math, instead of calming down and realizing that if you don't do a problem correctly it's NOT correct.

If you're told to build a bird house and you build a dog house instead you can't blame common core, yes they're both houses for animals, BUT you were told to build a bird house, it doesn't matter if you built a house and you built a bigger one than asked, you're still wrong and you still didn't follow directions. 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:01 PM

Now, see, I thought the kid had it right because I read it as having five 3 times- 5+5+5. Same with the 4 x 6 problem; I see "you have four 6 times- 4+4+4+4+4+4.

Apparently, I read multiplication "backwards".

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:42 PM
4 moms liked this
5+5+5 doesn't represent what's happening in the story.

Getting the correct answer with flawed reasoning is a good indication that the next time the student will be completely wrong.

Unfortunatly expecting kids to think and use reason is very scary for some people.
coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:51 PM
2 moms liked this
Your last line really hit the nail on the head! God forbid we teach our kids other/new/different ways to think and solve problems. The "this isn't how we did it!" argument drives me crazy!

Quoting maxswolfsuit: 5+5+5 doesn't represent what's happening in the story.

Getting the correct answer with flawed reasoning is a good indication that the next time the student will be completely wrong.

Unfortunatly expecting kids to think and use reason is very scary for some people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
artemisa3001
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:03 PM
Easily 99% of the people commenting on this article on FB were saying the teacher was stupid and the common core was useless and the answer was 15 because no matter what, 3x5 = 5x3

Smh...
ladyluke2007
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:16 PM

When they started the common core - new math, it drove me crazy.  I still don't like it much.  The reading part of common core was tough for my kids.  Memorizing words instead of using phonics was a huge deal for them.  It finally got to the point that I sat down and tough them phonics.  My son said "Gee, that aint the way they teach me in school, but this is easier." He went from hardly reading to grade level.  I didn't even try it with the last one.  I got home school curriculum and he is reading well and doing math well.  For a first grader, he is reading like the second graders are in public schools.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Your kids not learning phonics has nothing to do with common core.

They go to a school that has a different approach to reading instruction. Most schools teaching common core standards still rely heavily on phonics instruction in the primary grades.

Quoting ladyluke2007:

When they started the common core - new math, it drove me crazy.  I still don't like it much.  The reading part of common core was tough for my kids.  Memorizing words instead of using phonics was a huge deal for them.  It finally got to the point that I sat down and tough them phonics.  My son said "Gee, that aint the way they teach me in school, but this is easier." He went from hardly reading to grade level.  I didn't even try it with the last one.  I got home school curriculum and he is reading well and doing math well.  For a first grader, he is reading like the second graders are in public schools.

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 7:32 AM
2 moms liked this
Most complaints about Common Core aren't related to CC at all. Still surprises me that people don't know that. We adopted CC 2 years ago but are using the same math curriculum from at least 9 years ago. People still complain that they don't like the new CC math. It's not new CC math People! Ugh!

Quoting maxswolfsuit: Your kids not learning phonics has nothing to do with common core.

They go to a school that has a different approach to reading instruction. Most schools teaching common core standards still rely heavily on phonics instruction in the primary grades.

Quoting ladyluke2007:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)