Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Playdates and Guns

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:21 AM
  • 31 Replies

I just saw the women on The View discussing this topic and the panel was split.  When you allow your child to go on a playdate at someone's house do you ever ask if they own any guns?  I always ask two questions - Do you own a gun?  Do you own a pitbull? (pitbull owners save your breath.  I've heard it a million times, it's not the dog it's the owner blah blah blah.  You won't change my mind about them)  If they do own either I then ask some follow up questions like is the gun locked up, unloaded and where will the pitbull be while my child is at your home.  If I don't like any of the answers I apologize and let them know I'm not comfortable with my child being at their home but I always offer to have their child to my home for a playdate instead.  Does anyone else ask questions like this prior to allowing their child to go on a playdate at someone's hourse?    

by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Raeann11
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:53 AM
I have never asked.
Sydel
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 12:02 PM

Most of the responsible gun owners I know inform parents without being asked.

I wouldn't let my dd go to anyone's house unless I have spoken with the parent. I don't really question them but I do have a conversation with them to feel them out. Who lives in the house and who will be there while my child is there is a big one for me. More so than guns because my child knows not to play with guns. I will also ask mutual friends their opinions on them. I also like to come inside the home while dropping my dd off to get a feel for it. If I'm not comfortable I'll invite myself to stay for a little bit.

We do not have guns but we do have a pitt bull and a boxer. My dogs live in my house. It's their home and they will be where ever they please when guests are over. I totally understand the fear and the stigma and would actually prefer parents who know their kids have anxiety or fear of dogs don't send them to my house.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 12:04 PM
Around here its pretty safe to assume they own a gun. I teach my kids gun safety to prevent accidents.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 12:29 PM
Being DH is a cop and I am an NRA instructor, it is a given we have guns. No one has ever asked how we store them or if they are safe.

I inform people we have a large German Shepherd and cats. So many kids are allergic that we don't risk it. We have a friend whose kids come over but pop Benadryl first as they are mildly allergic to my dog. No big deal.

I don't ask either question. My kids know gun safety and also help teach it in Scouts and also work and train with my dog so they know how to act. It is a non-issue if the kids are educated.
GwenMB
by Gwen on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:11 PM

I've never asked either of those questions. If I don't trust the parent(s) to keep my child safe, my child wouldn't be going to their house. There are so many more potential dangers in a house than just a dog or guns - there is medications, alcohol, older kids who might do questionable things, risk of sunburn on nice days etc. So I just make sure I can trust the parent(s) where my child is going or my child doesn't go there.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Never thought to ask. I only send them places where I feel secure that they are safe.... I should not have to ask.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
A_McCool
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:58 PM

No.

anotherandree
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:02 PM

We've talked to our kids about guns.  They know that people own guns and even their mother likes to go shooting from time to time (I don't own a gun, I borrow one.)  However, if they are asked if they want to see it by their friend, they simply reply no and then WALK WAY.  If the friend just pulls it out to show them, they say nothing (we don't want them to be having a conversation while there is a gun OUT) and WALK AWAY QUICKLY and then go get a parent!

mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:03 PM

Nah... I don't ask things like that. Of course, mine don't have "playdates" so it's not an issue for us. They only go to peoples' homes that we ourselves are going to..just because that is the way it always works out.  

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:05 PM
I've never asked.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)