Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

These Elementary School Students Avoided a Fight -- but Were Arrested Anyway

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:58 AM
  • 9 Replies

These Elementary School Students Avoided a Fight -- but Were Arrested Anyway

Jacqueline Burt Cote

handcuffsIt's hard to imagine just one child between the ages of 6 and 10 getting arrested for any reason, but the thought of five elementary school–aged kids in handcuffs for the "crime" of not stopping a fight is nearly incomprehensible. Sadly, that's exactly what happened in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, last week -- and their parents (not to mention a lot of other people) are understandably outraged.

If you're hoping, at this point, that maybe learning the details of this incident will make it somehow less absurd, I'm sorry to tell you that's not the case -- there's literally nothing about this story that makes any sense at all.

Apparently "at least" five students from Hobgood Elementary School were handcuffed and detained by police officers on Friday on the accusations that they failed to intervene in an altercation that occurred off the school grounds a few days earlier. Police identified the spectators from video footage of the fight and subsequently obtained warrants for their arrests. The kids were held at a juvenile detention center and released later that day. And while police wouldn't reveal which state law the kids violated, exactly, several parents said their children were charged with "criminal responsibility for conduct of another." It's worth noting that at least half of the kids involved are black.

Why these young children are being held responsible for the conduct of anyone else is unclear, but perhaps Zacchaeus Crawford -- father of three of the kids who were arrested -- put it best when, per the Daily News Journal and WKRN, he said: 

There are innocent kids that have been arrested, that have been entered in a system they have no business in ... Three people, three kids, all having to be arrested, all having to be processed, entered into the system, and they didn't do anything.

As a mother, as a human being, I just can't begin to wrap my head around this insanity. Why, why, why?? They're children. And guess what parents and teachers tell children? Don't get into fights. Stay away from kids who do get into fights. Be safe. Don't get hurt. These kids were most likely just doing what they were told, but still they couldn't win. Think about it: If any of them had tried to intervene, they likely would have been pulled into the fray themselves and then, who knows, probably arrested for fighting! 

It's deeply unfair that these kids were forced to experience this level of trauma for absolutely no reason at all. How are kids who go through something like this expected to have any trust or faith in the system at all? Then again, the sad truth is that these kids might be better off not trusting in the system anyway. After all, from what we've been seeing lately, chances are it will only fail them again.

To make matters worse, there's only been the slightest acknowledgment of wrongdoing on the part of the authorities so far, with the police chief saying the experience was something to "learn" from, and that they want to "make things better so they don't happen again." The city manager also promised that "if something needs to be corrected, it will be."

I should certainly hope so, but I wouldn't be surprised if things didn't get "better" and if nothing was "corrected." There have simply been far too many stories recently of authority figures abusing their positions at the expense of innocent kids for me to believe we're anywhere close to a solution. That's scary, and it's sad, and it's finally just a huge shame.

Thoughts?

by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:19 AM
2 moms liked this

And this would be why I teach my boys, and my Sunday school kids for that matter, to get an adult when you see children participating in dangerous/reckless behavior.  I can't imagine that it would have been that difficult to run and get adult help, or even call 911 to report the fight.  I'm not saying that the kids should have been arrested, but there is an alternative to standing there watching.

And this just pisses me off - "Its worth noting that at least half of the kids involved are black."  That matters how?  So the other half aren't black?  And that matters how?  I really can't stand when people try to make everything a race issue.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:35 AM

Quoting steelcrazy:

And this would be why I teach my boys, and my Sunday school kids for that matter, to get an adult when you see children participating in dangerous/reckless behavior.  I can't imagine that it would have been that difficult to run and get adult help, or even call 911 to report the fight.  I'm not saying that the kids should have been arrested, but there is an alternative to standing there watching.

And this just pisses me off - "Its worth noting that at least half of the kids involved are black."  That matters how?  So the other half aren't black?  And that matters how?  I really can't stand when people try to make everything a race issue.

As it turns out, all 5 of the kids were black..ages 6-13 according to the videos of the parents speaking to an emergency meeting. So was one of the arresting officers. The only thing I can even think would be a reason to mention race of the children involved is that city is only 13% black and 77% white with the remainder being other races. 

This fight took place off of school grounds at someone's home. According to the news reports, it was pushing over a basketball game. The police became aware of it after the scuffle was recorded, sent to them and then put on youtube ( which I can't find anywhere btw). 

From what I can see from videos I have watched, the 2 girls that were older siblings and arrested were not on the warrant, nor were they present. The arrests also took place at school during hours and the pushing occured on private property. The Chief of police states that he is personally investigating why the children were arrested and if it was even legal to do so. This leads me to believe that something is amiss in that department. I can't fathom why those children would be arrested for a pushing match over a basketball game that happened after school at someone's private residence. It's honestly baffling to me. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

GwenMB
by Gwen on Apr. 20, 2016 at 2:35 PM

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting steelcrazy:

As it turns out, all 5 of the kids were black..ages 6-13 according to the videos of the parents speaking to an emergency meeting. So was one of the arresting officers. The only thing I can even think would be a reason to mention race of the children involved is that city is only 13% black and 77% white with the remainder being other races. 

This fight took place off of school grounds at someone's home. According to the news reports, it was pushing over a basketball game. The police became aware of it after the scuffle was recorded, sent to them and then put on youtube ( which I can't find anywhere btw). 

From what I can see from videos I have watched, the 2 girls that were older siblings and arrested were not on the warrant, nor were they present. The arrests also took place at school during hours and the pushing occured on private property. The Chief of police states that he is personally investigating why the children were arrested and if it was even legal to do so. This leads me to believe that something is amiss in that department. I can't fathom why those children would be arrested for a pushing match over a basketball game that happened after school at someone's private residence. It's honestly baffling to me. 

A pushing match is now considered a fight?! While pushing people is definitely not nice, and is often how a fight starts, when saying that someone was arrested over a fight, I was definitely picturing punches having been thrown.

How in the world are kids who weren't even present arrested, esp when they aren't on the warrant? Something definitely seems to be amiss.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 20, 2016 at 3:56 PM

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting steelcrazy:

A pushing match is now considered a fight?! While pushing people is definitely not nice, and is often how a fight starts, when saying that someone was arrested over a fight, I was definitely picturing punches having been thrown.

How in the world are kids who weren't even present arrested, esp when they aren't on the warrant? Something definitely seems to be amiss.

I did a lot of googling after I saw this on here this morning. Every single article and video said it was a pushing scuffle over a basketball game at a private residence. They also state that the 2 girls were not present. One was arrested at her home while her 2 younger brothers were arrested at the school. So, one family had 3 kids arrested for not stepping in and stopping it. Nice, huh? 

There is definitely a reason the Chief is personally investigating this issue...something is seriously wrong here IMO. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:26 PM

Something is definitely off with this. Since when is pushing considered a fight? I could see a school possibly trying to claim that, but this was not on school grounds.

And why were 2 kids who weren't even there arrested? My first thought was, "Ok, what did the parent(s) do that has the police trying to "retaliate" through their kid(s)? There has got to be more going on behind the scenes of this than we are being told.

lizzig
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 5:30 PM

damned if you do, damned if you don't.  if they had tried to intervene, outside of going to get an adult, they would have goten in trouble themselves.  we give our kids such mixed messages these days it's crazy!  i'm not surprised that this happened, i'm surprised it hasn't happened more.

SusanMueller
by on Apr. 22, 2016 at 12:56 PM

At the very 1st, I’d favor to state thanks to you for this enlightening article. Second, I'd prefer to wonder wherever I can learn a lot more info <a href="http://www.proessaywriting.com/">proessaywriting.com</a> concerning your post. I arrived right here via Bing and can't discover any associated web websites connected to this matter. How do I sign for your web blog? I had prefer to stick to your updates as they arrive along! I'd a query to interrogate but I forgot what it absolutely was... anyways, thank you very much.

jewels.unicorn
by Member on Apr. 22, 2016 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

My son got in trouble in grade 2 for stopping a grade 6 bully beating up a grade 1 student. The older girl was holding a young boy in a headlock and banging his head against the brick wall of the school.

My son stepped in (ever the stand up for others kind of guy) and when he asked her to stop, she ignored him at first. So he asked her again, he said, "You're hurting him, please don't do that!" Her reaction was to shove him away with one arm, knocking him to the ground. So ds stood back up and stepped on her foot to distract her so the other child could escape. Ok, not the best way to deal with it, but he was attacked first, and he did what he thought was right thinking he can't hit a girl, and stepping on her foot (she was wearing flip flops and he had proper shoes on) but not stomping on it, was just enough of an action to get results.

Of course she took a swing at ds and this was when the younger student ran away and got a teacher. The teacher then took ds into the office for hurting the older girl.

Turned out it was a sister & brother and the brother was actually hurt, the sister was mad at him, but ds was the one who ultimately got in trouble from the Principal and sent home for the rest of the day!! None of that made any sense to the rest of us, but clearly the school had it under control the way they thought was right.

Dh & I were livid - this is how kids are treated when helping to protect others? Guess who minds his own business now and doesn't help out others because he's afraid of the trouble he'll get into? My son, who was the most caring kid in the world until that incident. And now he'd be one of those who were arrested because he was just standing there not doing anything about it because of what happened when he did try to help.

Ridiculous!

Murffsmom
by Member on Apr. 22, 2016 at 2:09 PM

Video shows fight that led to Murfreesboro child arrests; Mom speaks out... Search this and it will take you to it news channel 2 I can't get the link to work:(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)