Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Community Pools

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:38 PM
  • 53 Replies

It has been announced that two community pools will not be opening this summer. Ten years ago our city had 5 public pools and now all are closed. Pool acess is now exclusive to YMCA members, swim team members who use the two high school pools, and then both the yacht club and country club have their own pools.

I was asked to join a committe to help secure funding for one of the pools for next summer. I have not made any decisions yet.

But while this is on my mind I am very curious how many people here utilize community pools. Is there one in your community? If so is it part of a rec center? Is it enclosed or outside? Is a membership required or do you just pay an entry fee. Also what reigon are you located in?

by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ezsrivers
by Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:44 PM

We use a community pool that can be entered with a one time fee (expensive) or a membership (expensive upfront, but cheaper in the long run). It's part of a city rec center and very well funded. There are other rec center pools, city pools, all have similar arrangements. There are many, not sure of the number. 

anotherandree
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:51 PM

We live in a suburb of Phoenix.  We have one community pool that is part of the parks and rec.  Entrance fee is $5 for non-residents and $3 for residents or a seasonal fee of $80 for the entire family.  We get a pass every year.  It is outdoors and ALWAYS crazy busy.  The hours suck, though because it is only open from noon-5pm Memorial Day through the weekend after district schools are back in session (usually the 2nd week of August).

There is also an outdoor (but covered) pool at the YMCA in the next town over.

almburr
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:52 PM
All we have around here is community pools. We are in small rural farming areas. The pools are an asset to our towns. They are a public service instead of an income maker. Two of the larger towns have more of the water park style pool with slides and lazy river.

I managed our towns pool for 9 years and also guarded there for 13 years. Entry fee $2 a day or buy a pass for $50 single $125 family

Dd21 manages the next town overs pool and also guards. That pool and town just passed a million dollar bond to build a new one. A couple foundations are match funding. Another foundation gave 500,000.
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:55 PM

We do on occasion it is outside with a kiddie pool and water slide and huge pool.  It is open to anyone in the community and others not in the town but they have to pay more to get in. 

liveforever
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:00 PM
We have 2 community pools. Theyre both outdoors and seasonal. You can buy a pass for the summer or pay per visit. We go a lot. One has a waterslide and is next to a playground so dd loves it.

The high schools indoor pool also offers open swim on certain days.
Maries_Mom23
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:04 PM

We have quite a few in our county.  The ones that are located downtown (belonging to city parks) are free to get in. I think there are 3 of them.  We live less than 2 minutes from another that costs me $7 to get me and our 2 girls into.  And there is another that is in another park that is about the same price to enter. The girls and I go swimming at least 2-3 times a week during the summer.  We are located in West Virginia.  Oh...these are all outside pools.  There is a rec center across the river with an indoor pool and it's about $6 for the 3 of us to get into (or you can buy a membership).  

Beautifulmom513
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:06 PM
Our neighborhood has a community pool as do most neighborhoods here. Ours you just have to pay $150 "HOA" fee. Which is basically just to have access to pool. But it goes towards maintance of pool and neighborhood. We do have city pools as well. But I don't bother with those because they are only open during summer and a few hours a day and unbelievably crowded. Our neighborhood pool is open from 8am-10am year around. And much less busy. Unless it's the wkn and people having parties, most of the time, we are only ones there.
Ritata
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:30 PM

My city's park and rec dept has at least 1 public pool on each side of town, we also have an indoor pool opening in the fall.  Children's summer passes are $20 and family passes for the summer are $80.  If you want year round passes it's $250 for family.  We have long winters so that indoor pool is going to be super busy. There are also gyms in town that have pools for members, most apt complexes have pools for residents' use and there is a big water park just outside city limits that is about $30/day per person. 

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:35 PM
No we don't we have our pool in our backyard.
mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:37 PM

Nope..no pools here. You would think in the south we would have one, but there is not one. Now, some of the subdivisions have them, but ours does not.  We have no YMCA or rec centers here either. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)