Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

7-Year-Old Writes Note Giving Herself Permission to Go Home & School Buys It -- Misspellings & All

Posted by on May. 8, 2016 at 11:46 AM
  • 21 Replies

7-Year-Old Writes Note Giving Herself Permission to Go Home & School Buys It -- Misspellings & All

Caroline Olney

Kids are sent to school along with a certain amount of trust that the school system will take care of them, and usually, schools are pretty good at fulfilling that trust and keeping kids safe. But this story out of Harris County, Texas, is a reminder that that isn't always the case: A 7-year-old girl forged a note giving herself permission to skip her after-school program, and her school bought it. Even though "bus" was spelled wrong, and it was clearly written by a second grader. Like, guys. Come on.

The school let little Rosabella take the bus home -- while her dad, Charlie Dahu, thought she was at an after-school program -- and she got off the bus and hung out outside her house all afternoon because she couldn't find a way inside.

Eventually, she knocked on her neighbor's door and asked to use the restroom. He let her in, called her dad immediately, and kept an eye on her until he could get home. 

Her dad was terrified. Obviously.

Video here

So, yes. The 7-year-old should not have lied to her teachers to get out of an after-school program she didn't want to go to. But she's 7. As in, a CHILD. The blame can't be on her in this one.

It also can't really be on the dad -- there's no way to prepare for all the possible trouble a second-grade brain can cook up, and he did everything right: He talked to his daughter about what she did wrong, talked to the school about what they did wrong, and then wouldn't let Rosabella be interviewed by the news station so she wouldn't think being on TV was a reward for her behavior. Parenting, handled.

The school's at total fault here, and it knows it. The school district released a statement that went, in part, something like this:

We are reviewing our training procedures to ensure that our after-school grant program staff is properly trained in dismissal procedures. As we move forward, the district is working to make sure that all of our after-school grant staff receives the same training as district employees. At this point, the district is continuing to investigate and will take proper disciplinary action. As always, student safety is our top priority.

We're mostly just happy that Rosabella is okay. And also mostly mad that the school could let something like this happen -- it's not really making us feel good about sending kids to school anywhere.

Thoughts?

by on May. 8, 2016 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lenashark
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2016 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

For all the bus driver knows, the child's parents could have problems with literacy and write on a second grade level. The bs driver probably didn't want to refuse it and risk offending the parents or not sending the kid home on her bus. If that were my child I would be putting 95% of the blame on the child.

huskermom98
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2016 at 3:37 PM

Sorry, but I say there's a certain amount of blame on the child...how did she even know to try something like forging a note to get out of after-school care?

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 8, 2016 at 4:37 PM

Yes, she's only 7, but how does she know to write a note to get out of after care?  I wouldn't think that a child that young would come up with a plan like that all on their own.  As far as the school goes, if the note seems off, they should have called the parents to double check.  It only takes a moment to make a phone call.

lady-J-Rock
by Member on May. 8, 2016 at 4:50 PM
On my middle child's 5th birthday we went to the beach. She wanted to sit in the lifeguard stand. We said no. She asked why? Because it's for lifeguards to look for people who are drowning or a child who may be lost. Oh ok. We were building a sand castle she took her bucket and went to get water. And she found a lifeguard and said she's lost.

She also wrote a note last year in kindergarten saying that she'd be a walker and not a busser. Luckily her teacher, principal and office lady know my hand writing. The girl probably knows dad has written a note or saw another child bring in a note saying the child should get on the bus after school.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Yes, she's only 7, but how does she know to write a note to get out of after care?  I wouldn't think that a child that young would come up with a plan like that all on their own.  As far as the school goes, if the note seems off, they should have called the parents to double check.  It only takes a moment to make a phone call.

mommy053008
by Maria on May. 8, 2016 at 4:54 PM
I doubt my 7 year old would do that. But I guess you never know.
GaleJ
by on May. 8, 2016 at 5:39 PM
The little girl is very bright and despite the spelling error she understands how these situations work. If I were either her parent or her teacher I would be very specifically careful about her. I would also be looking to find something with which to engage her mind and efforts. In the classroom I always enjoyed these kinds of children, I loved the way their minds worked.
Khooks
by Jessica on May. 8, 2016 at 6:49 PM
She's bright enough to concoct a plan like that and can't spell "bus" lol.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 9, 2016 at 5:59 AM

I get notes from parents all the time with basic words spelled wrong. Many illiterate people are parents. I would never occur to me that a seven year old would forge something like that. Why does blame always have to be placed on someone. The school didn't do anything wrong.

Situations like this are why schools end up with crazy policies. I can really see them deciding all notes from home have to be confirmed by phone or something. What a mess.  

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2016 at 8:58 AM

I agree. I actually do blame the kid here though. She concocted the plan, she wrote the note, she's to blame 7 or not.

But yeah this is how schools end up with policies that any notes must be confirmed with a phone call to both parents with a number on file (better keep that stuff updated!). And then parents wig out about it. @_@

While my spelling is on point, my handwriting is sometimes pretty bad, it's not 2nd grade level or anything, but it's not the normal pretty handwriting most adult women seem to have. It just depends on how bad my wrist is hurting on a particular day, handwriting might look okay on Monday and be illegible on Tuesday. Thankfully my kids haven't tried any shenanigans, and their handwriting definitely doesn't look like mine or their dad's LOL.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I get notes from parents all the time with basic words spelled wrong. Many illiterate people are parents. I would never occur to me that a seven year old would forge something like that. Why does blame always have to be placed on someone. The school didn't do anything wrong.

Situations like this are why schools end up with crazy policies. I can really see them deciding all notes from home have to be confirmed by phone or something. What a mess.  

mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 9, 2016 at 11:09 AM

The fault lies with 2 entities as far as I'm concerned. 

The 7 year old came up with the idea to write the note...

The school officials for falling for it. Trust me..you can tell that a child wrote the note. It looks NOTHING like an adult's writing...even " bad adult writing" is not like a child's writing. I looked at the note online and it is very representative of a small child's writing with the overly large writing and the misspellings of " too" for to and "dus" for bus. If a teacher can't figure out that this was a kid's handwriting, they have issues...

Come on... do y'all really think an adult wrote this? 

The child has culpability for lying and leaving school...the school has it due to idiocy IMO. The fact that they could not tell the above was written by a 7 year old is baffling to me.. on top of allowing her to leave the premises. 

My kid would be in a world of trouble. She would be writing an apology note to the teacher and bus driver for lying, and would be in trouble for lying.

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)