Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you consider yourself strict?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 4:48 PM
  • 30 Replies

I thought that I was strict until I joined this page. After reading the responses of others I've realized that I'm incredibly relaxed.

I have certian expectations for my girls and I let it be known. But that's pretty much it.

by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
midjet117
by Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 4:51 PM

no, I know I'm not strict. 

mcginnisc
by Claire on Sep. 7, 2016 at 4:53 PM

Yes.. yes, I am pretty strict. They know my expectations and know what the consequences are for not following the rules. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:01 PM

I don't think so, not in general. I have my expectations of my kids obviously, but nothing unreasonable or crazy.

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:02 PM
2 moms liked this
No. I am only strict about our early bedtime. Mama needs her rest!!
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:07 PM

I have a few little things I'm strict on, like how long they stay in booster seats (ds2 and dd just got let out of theirs recently- ds2 back in the spring, and dd about 2 weeks ago), and the number of cookies or pieces of candy I let them have per day, or how often I let ds1 and ds2 have anything with caffeine in it. I do sort of restrict what they watch tv/movie wise, but it's based on what I think they can handle, not necessarily on what the given rating is. Otherwise, I'm not all that strict. We have certain expectations, but we can be flexible with most of those.

We expect the kids to do their best in school. We realize not every kid is made to be a straight A student. Ds1 is a smart kid; he just does not do well on tests. No anxiety, just does not do well- he's like me in that he knows stuff, but if you ask him point-blank, his mind goes "Um. . . ." I always feel bad for kids who are expected to get A's in every subject; some day they are going to come across something they just don't grasp as well, not get an A, and feel terrible about it when they should feel good for doing their best.

My kids do not have much in the way of set chores. What they do have is the expectation that they do whatever it is we ask of them to help out around the house.

Yes, my kids have had the run of the neighborhood for a while now; both boys since they were 7 and dd since she was about 8.5-9 y/o. They had/have to take a walkie talkie with them (ds1 takes his phone now, and ds2 takes a phone half the time now). If they say they are going to friend A's house, then move to friend B's, they have to let us know that.

Now that ds1 drives to school sometimes, he has to call and let us know if he is not coming straight home. If ds2 stops at a friend's house to shoot hoops in the driveway walking home from the bus stop, he needs to call and let me know (he got himself into trouble one day last spring by doing that and not letting me know).

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:36 PM
Yes and no.

Compared to many on CM I am not in what I allow them to do.

However, I have extremely high expectations for their behaviour and level of personal responsibility. Which is why they are allowed to do more than other kids.
BonitaM
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 7:22 PM
I'm fairly strict but I also give her room to grow. Best way to learn is through mistakes.
emarin77
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:51 PM

My husband and I have rules for the house but our son can express himself and do some things on his own. Not strict. Age 8.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:02 PM
I would say that I have a strong foundation but with flexibility of how it's used. :)
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:05 PM
No I'm not strict.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)