Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How was your Labor Day Weekend?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:49 PM
  • 14 Replies

Had a rather weird Labor Day weekend. We tried to leave on Fri, after the farmers market we had that evening. Started to head out about 11 pm (planned on sleeping at "Camp Walmart" on the way to our destination), but the 2011 Suburban decided to overheat just a mile or so outside our subdivision. Ok, head home and switch everything over to the 2006 Suburban. By that time, it was almost 1 a.m, so we went to bed and headed out about 11:30 a.m on Saturday. As we're relaxing that night around the campfire, we see a couple of cop cars go by (our site was near the main road of the campground), then a couple of fire trucks, and an amulance- all headed to one of the boat ramps (campground's on a lake). Then DNR partially blocks off the road and we hear them talking about making sure the grassy area between us and the road is a clear and fairly flat space (and we saw a helicopter with a search light on go overhead). DNR briefly stopped one boater on their way out, we saw the ambulance go out with no lights/sirens, but the interior light was on, then another ambulance came in. That one eventually came out the same way- no lights/sirens, but interior light on. Then the fire trucks left, and DNR unblocked the road. We did not see the police cars leave, but we may have just missed seeing them. Dh checked the local news online the next morning- there apparently was a boat collision. No details on how many boats involved, people injured, etc. Then, on the way back on Monday, we apparently dropped a brake pad- the kids and I started hearing a grinding noise when we were about 45 mins from home. Get home safely, get unpacked, dh goes to start the Suburban to move it so it's not totally blocking the driveway, and it takes him several tries to get it started. Luckily, he replaced the starter just a couple years ago, so it's still under warrantee.

At least our visit to the National Corvette Museum was uneventful, as was the time the kids spent swimming in the lake.

Definitely one of our more odd trips, though.

by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
huskermom98
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:11 PM

We had a pretty good weekend--got to see my brother and his family, hung out with my Mom on Saturday, watched Nebraska win, hung out with my Dad and more of my siblings on Sunday, and had a nice quiet drive home on Monday...until 10 freakin' minutes from our house we heard a loud noise and it felt like we had run over something, but didn't see anything in the mirrors...not sure what we drove over, but whatever it was put a 2 inch gash in one of our rear tires!  DH pulled over (right by the exit where we get off the freeway) and had to change the tire...fun.

mischele
by Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:15 PM
We all got sick Friday and ended up being home all weekend
Khooks
by Jessica on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:40 PM
That's really crazy!! Hope the cars get fixed easily. Dh took Friday and Tuesday off so he had a 5 day weekend. Did some yard work we haven't had time to do since we just moved in and then had a hurricane which wasn't much here just rough water and wind. Sunday we cooked steaks and burned the limbs we trimmed and Monday we went to the pool and the water was freezing so no one enjoyed it except me lol. They did give out free slushies since it was the last day though so that made it worth it for ds.
Raeann11
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 7:36 PM

It sucked. We were suppose to go out of town to hubby's Uncles wedding. Instead we were home. I was sick and found out on Sunday I had bronchitis and hubby was sick to but not as sick as me. I will say the kids were awesome and very helpful.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 7:39 PM
I see a theme here. Dh had a 4 day weekend and we were supposed to go camping but he got the stomach flu and ds had a cold. Poor dd got hit by both on Monday! She was a coughing, sneezing, congested, puking mess. It was terrible!
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 7:59 PM

Dang! Glad that happened somewhere where you could pull over easily.

Quoting huskermom98:

We had a pretty good weekend--got to see my brother and his family, hung out with my Mom on Saturday, watched Nebraska win, hung out with my Dad and more of my siblings on Sunday, and had a nice quiet drive home on Monday...until 10 freakin' minutes from our house we heard a loud noise and it felt like we had run over something, but didn't see anything in the mirrors...not sure what we drove over, but whatever it was put a 2 inch gash in one of our rear tires!  DH pulled over (right by the exit where we get off the freeway) and had to change the tire...fun.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:00 PM

Bummer. Hope everyone is feeling better by now.

Quoting mischele: We all got sick Friday and ended up being home all weekend

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:01 PM

Boo! Glad the kids cooperated and were helpful. Hope you both are feeling better now.

Quoting Raeann11:

It sucked. We were suppose to go out of town to hubby's Uncles wedding. Instead we were home. I was sick and found out on Sunday I had bronchitis and hubby was sick to but not as sick as me. I will say the kids were awesome and very helpful.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:02 PM

Yuck =P  Hope everyone is feeling better now, and no one shared with you!

Quoting JasonsMom2007: I see a theme here. Dh had a 4 day weekend and we were supposed to go camping but he got the stomach flu and ds had a cold. Poor dd got hit by both on Monday! She was a coughing, sneezing, congested, puking mess. It was terrible!

mischele
by Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:02 PM
Thx all 4 kids got sick now we are down to 1

Quoting wakymom:

Bummer. Hope everyone is feeling better by now.

Quoting mischele: We all got sick Friday and ended up being home all weekend

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)