Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADD Questionnaire

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 10:54 AM
  • 13 Replies

Completed my questionnaire. It says Vanderbilt Assessment Scale. The school called me and said that the teachers had completed theirs as well. I'm picking them up tonight and dropping everything off at the peds tomorrow. Just got to get dh to do his tonight. There were more NEVER responses than anyything else.

The only thing often was her dislike or reluctance to engage in tasks that require substained mental effort.

However if I were filling this out for my teen the results would be a lot different. But I'm already aware of her anxiety.

My dd's ped asked me to come pick up three questionnaires for dd in regards to ruling out ADD. She said that myself, dh, and her teacher need to fill them out separately and return them to her. 

Has anyone ever filled one of these out? I'm curious how they can determine something like possible ADD from a questionnaire.

I'm going to pick it up after lunch as I have a client meeting before hand.

But my curiosity is peeked.

by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Mikki on Nov. 1, 2016 at 12:59 PM

I have.  Some of the questions ask like do they have trouble focusing on work and things like that.  They have all of you fill it out because parents may see one thing and a teacher another.

by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:18 PM

Yes. I remember some questions being about how they followed through with directions, how neat they kept their room etc. All questions are basically going to be signs of lack of focus, distractability, impulse control and such. My dd15 main symptom is impulse control. My ds didn't score as being an ADD candidate on his but yet the vyvanse completely turned around his first kindergarten year. 

by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:25 PM
Is this the Conner Scales? I filled out one for DS in 2nd grade (he's I. 11th now). I knew it would be inconclusive because most questions have always, sometimes and never as responses and in my experience,DS was mostly a sometimes kid. I told the school psychologist that I didn't think this would be helpful as I knew the teacher would say he was an always kid. She said it would be fine, blah, blah, blah. So I took the results to the pedi and guess what...he said it was inconclusive.

Don't get me wrong, I DS was (still can be) a handful but I didn't think he had anything other than boredom and a big mouth. His 3rd grade teacher was awesome and his issues greatly improved. I think the Scales are good when there is an obvious problem. They weren't that helpful in our case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:27 PM

I have. My youngest had to have it done. Its all about your observations of the child and their behavior and working abilities.

by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:29 PM

yes, if I remember correctly there are two different scales. We did one with the school. I did it and teacher did one and then the doctor reveiwed the responses. I forgot which one school gave us but our doctor's office usually used a different one but he was able to adjust.

They ask questions about behavior and conduct and habits. I made DH do it because at the time he though ADHD was a crock of BLEEP. He scored DS more ADHD than his teacher.

by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:33 PM

We just one with my 4yo daughter for ADHD and ODD. I have been filing them out for her every 6 months since she was 3yo because we have had concerns for a while but this was her first yr in school. Teacher just sent it home last week and it was crazy reading what he feels she is like, at school she is 1000x worse then at home :( he scored her a 3 and added +++ on a lot of the categories where 3 is the highest (exactly like the child) she had good comments on how she retains all new information but behaviour is just not where it should be... its nerve racking and I have been through this with my oldest dd. The do not formally diagnose here till age 6 unless its severe enough.

by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:35 PM
Yes i have its not just the questionnaire they do other tests on the child too but that helps them with things like how they act in school and home settings and what others see.
by Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 3:50 PM
I have a lot. I have Two with ADHD ( one of them has a genetic disorder and stuff) so I fill them out all the time
by Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 3:55 PM
I've only filled them out for myself, but I may have to for DS in the future.
by Jessica on Nov. 1, 2016 at 4:19 PM
I filled out the Vanderbilt questionnaire as well as the teacher
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)