Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grading System

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 6:02 PM
  • 19 Replies

WTH kind of freaking grading system uses only the letters H, S, M for second grade???? Good news, both my kids have straight H's but wth? No clue what the random letters stand for if anything. H is 89.9 or better, S is 59.5-89 and M is below 59. So to convert to normal grading, a H=an A, a S=B,C,D and a M=an F. 

The longer we are in this school system the more I hate it. This is a kindergarten grading system for crying out loud! 

by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 6:05 PM

I'm going to guess that the "S" is for Satisfactory or average since that is what the letter grades B, C, and D represent.  "H" is mostly likely honors since they are doing above average work.  No clue on the "M" though.

We use a typical A - F grading scale.  There was talk of switching it up to A for advanced, B for basic, and BB for below basic.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Nov. 1, 2016 at 6:10 PM

That is odd.. I've never heard of a system like that one before. I use just a standard system for my girls. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 6:21 PM

Well, my son who needs all this crazy intevention is clearly not stuggling if he is getting all H's. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 6:30 PM

Unfortunately kids need interventions for things other than academics.  So getting all "H"s doesn't necessarily mean that a child doesn't need some help.  Both of my boys were in speech when they were younger and both got all "A"s.  My oldest son receives a lot of interventions and has an IEP, yet has never had a grade lower than a "B".

Quoting RaeMarie:

Well, my son who needs all this crazy intevention is clearly not stuggling if he is getting all H's. 

RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 6:38 PM

I know. My son needs interventions for his diabetes. He needs to test when sugar is in range, even if that means at a different time than the rest of the class. He needs more time to complete things because he misses class to go to the nurse for highs/lows. His stupid school has unfortunately placed him in true special ed and has those interventions simply because he is a diabetic. Fixing that on Thur. My comment was really just my further frustration of his schools ridiculous policy. He could be breezing by with H's simply because his workload is below standard second grade curriculum. If he weren't getting high marks I would be concerned given the nonchallenging material. Once I get him working on grade level his marks may not be so high. 

Quoting steelcrazy:

Unfortunately kids need interventions for things other than academics.  So getting all "H"s doesn't necessarily mean that a child doesn't need some help.  Both of my boys were in speech when they were younger and both got all "A"s.  My oldest son receives a lot of interventions and has an IEP, yet has never had a grade lower than a "B".

Quoting RaeMarie:

ljmom24
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 6:50 PM
We have s for secure p for progressing and h for having difficulty. There is also a number scale for individual topics under each subject. So say math he gets an s,p or h but then say like numbers recongnotion, adding, subtracting and so on go 1-5 so you can be progress overall but still struggling and then conduct grades too.
canadianmom1974
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 6:54 PM
None of my kids have ever seen the A, B, C, D, F system on a report card (my oldest graduated in June). They used to have MANE (Meeting expectations, Approaching expectations, Needs improvement, Exceeding expectations). Then they moved to a 1, 2, 3, 4 system with 1 being exceptional and 4 failing.

That's K through grade 6, in 7&8 they use the same system but also include the subject average percentage.

In high school they simply provide the actual number grade (for example my 14 yo 9th grader currently has 98.57 in science).

The new report cards for K-8 also include a separate section for behaviour.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 7:24 PM

My kids don't get letter grades until 4th/5th grade. They have E for exceeding end of grade expectations, M for mastery of end of grade level expectations, P progressing towards mastery and L for limited needs lots of assistance. In 4th they show up us as real grades in the system but are converted to the letters with 80 and up being M, 60-79 being P and 59 and below being an L. E's are harder to get the older that they get. My Ds will have mostly M's, some E's a few P's and probably and L in some of his character scores i.e. Being organized, persevering in tasks, etc. He has an iep and slightly different goals for things like writing since he is dysgraphic.

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 7:30 PM
We don't have regular letter grades until 3rd grade and for the last 2 years we didn't have any regular grades for any grades but the parents threw a hissy so the board caves and now we're back to grades.

Not having traditional grades is great for kids who struggle IMO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 8:25 PM

What was wrong with the old way? 

I can see from a self esteem point of view the much more vague system of grading could be good. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)