Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Veterans day programs?

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:36 AM
  • 5 Replies

My kiddos school is doing some sort of program for veterans today. Not sure what since this is the first year we are at this school. I do know that dd7 teacher just called me though and requested that I accompany my father since he is in a wheelchair. Not gonna lie, I was going to skip this one. Oh well, if that is what would make them feel more comfortable then that is what I will do I guess. 

by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
stykir
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:38 AM
My kids had theirs on Wednesday. Not sure why they always do it earlier. My father in law went because he's a veteran and mil went with him. They don't really invite parents though. The kids sing songs and recite poems then the veterans get to go visit the classrooms of the kids who brought them. They tell about their experiences, then the school has a luncheon for them.
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids' school had a flag ceremony yesterday since they're off today. Works out well since the Marine Corps birthday was yesterday.

RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:44 AM

Our old school had a smart PTA. They scheduled grandparents day for that week as well as the book fair! Of course a part of it was the whole no child left out idea. Not all kids have grandparents alive or near and not all kids know a veteran who is alive or near. This way all the kids have a better opportunity to bring someone special to school AND the pta made a killing at the bookfair! 

LoriAnn87
by LoriAnn on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:34 AM

The schools around me honor the vets on Wed cause they had off yestrday and today.

canadianmom1974
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Schools are closed here today, every Remembrance Day, so they do their services on the 10th. Remembrance Day is a more solemn occasion than Veterans Day, you'd never wish someone a happy Remembrance Day.

Generally services at school involve singing Oh Canada, playing The Last Post and Reville separated by two minutes of silence, a recitation of In Flanders Fields, laying of wreaths, and often closed with the singing of God Save the Queen. In some smaller towns they also read the names of military members who have died in various wars/conflicts.

This year at my school they included a slide show highlighting the role of indigenous peoples in our military.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)