Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2nd Grade Spelling...Not going well.

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:27 AM
  • 13 Replies

My daughter is 7 years old and in the second grade.  She loves her teacher, and is doing good in everything but spelling.  She was fine at first and now she is lucky to get 5 out of 15 right.  Her reading is great, and she can pick out the correct spelling but she is having a hard time spelling the word.  She was in speech therapy the last 3 years. she has come a long way and the therapist was more than impressed with her progress.  She did express the concern that my daughter may lag behind in some areas due to her speech and spelling was one of those.  She also has ear infections a lot, we have an appointment to day to have the pressure checked to make sure she is hearing the teacher sound out the word correctly.  Any suggestions on how to help her study spelling words?  I have tried sounding it out, we sing the words before writing, even give her multiple choice!

by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawncs
by Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:42 AM

Have you thought of another method to help her learn to spell since the method that the teacher is using is failing her? Does she like computer or video games? There are some free computer games on the internet that can help with academics in a variety of different subjects and grades.

Dawn
Asperger Syndrome Published Author and Blogger
Asperger Syndrome diagnosed May 1997 as an adult
My Author Blog 
My Author Website

AugustMomma
by Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:48 AM
Kahn academy & ABC mouse are great options. Repetition & spelling things in every day life. You pass a post office, ask her to spell it. You're shopping in a grocery store and pick up a gallon of milk, ask her to spell it. Make a game of it.
PinkButterfly66
by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Kidsspell.com  let you load your child's spelling words into their spelling games.  That might be an option.  Does the teacher do sentences or definitions after saying the word?  If she doesn't then  I would suggest to her that she do that so your daughter will have a better chance deciphering what she is saying.  I would also suggest that the teacher let her sit next to the teacher's desk or that the teacher stand next to her desk so she hear the word more clearly. 

And maybe when you get the spelling words at the beginning of the week, break the list in half.   Work only on 7 for 3 days and work on those words multiple times before school, after school, after dinner, etc.  Then when she masters some words, drop those (except for refresher) and add new ones.  Maybe you can get the new list from the teacher on Friday afternoon so you have the weekend to get a jump start.  

RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:06 AM

My second graders don't do traditional spelling so it is hard to help them study. When my oldest had spellign words she really enjoyed spelling city.com. Another site you plug their words into and play games with. 

My children use something like FUNdemental spelling. They teach how to spell the sounds (like IKE, AND, IST) instead of words using those sounds. 

Fayanne
by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:09 AM

some people just aren't good at spelling.

pick the most important words. See if her teacher will decrease the number of words.

I'd rather my kid spell high frequency words correctly, than a bunch of BS words she'd hardly ever use.

hopefully her list includes spelling patterns... ought, thought, sought, fought, etc, ... but honestly, many kids study for the test, and don't remember to spell the words correctly after.

help her read more, so she sees the words in print more often.

help her use them in context in writing, not just in isolation

try some tactile opportunities... spell the words out with her finger in sand, etc

help her recognize common roots and endings, and build on what she already knows to be familiar words she can spell correctly

15 words sounds like a lot for a 2nd grader.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like she has Auditory Processing Disorder because of the need for speech therapy and has spelling difficulties.  I had the same difficulties too in school and have Auditory Processing Disorder.  I used flash cards and writing spelling words 5 times each to help with my memory of how to write and sound out words correctly.  I also received speech/language therapy and was diagnosed with expression language disorder.  She might have difficulties with math as she gets older.  I did. See a Dr. audiologist to evaluate for APD.  It is great that she is receiving speech/language therapy in school.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this

spellingcity.com- plug in the words and it uses them in games

rainbow spelling- have her write each word 3 times, each time in a different color

Scrabble- dump out the tiles and have her use those to spell her words

roll or bounce a ball back and forth as you take turns saying the letters in each word (ex- for "dog", you roll the ball to her saying "d", she rolls it back saying "o", you roll it back saying "g")

She can do the same as the ball idea while jumping rope or doing jumping jacks, saying one letter per jump.

put flour or shaving cream in a shallow baking dish and have her write her words in it with her finger or a straw

Getting her hearing tested is a great idea- ds1 had a speech delay, and his hearing was one of the things they tested. Luckily, his hearing is fine. I do, however, know a kid who was struggling in school, and improved after having his hearing tested and getting a hearing aid.

JanetteA
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:23 PM

OK, my son had/has a severe speech issue and I am VERY familiar with the spelling thing!

I have a lot of tips and tricks, but the very first thing you need to do is to see if she can discriminate between the sounds in words.  Give her a piece of paper and pronounce maybe 10 simple nonsense words (like BISH or NUR) and see how she spells them.  This task is so easy for most kids this age that it's not even really taught-- but it's a skill you absolutely need to spell.  And kids with speech and ear issues can't trust the sounds that come out of their mouths.

You also need to check to see if she can rhyme.  Don't assume-- give her a simple word like CAR and ask her to give you three words that rhyme.    (I know even as late as fifth grade, my son thought CAT and NAP rhymed.)  

And last, you need to see if she can manipulate sounds in words.  If you have alphabet blocks that spell out TIP, and you take away the T, can she tell you what "word" is left?  If you put the T back, and replace the P with an N, can she tell you what word you have then?

If a second grader  can't do all three things VERY VERY easily,  almost without thinking, spelling becomes sheer memorization-- and that doesn't benefit anybody.  

Ash52507
by New Member on Nov. 15, 2016 at 11:53 AM

Thank you all so much for the advice.  I will be trying these for this weeks words.  Last week she only missed one and she was so happy!! 

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2016 at 9:05 AM

Have her practice in different ways.

When my youngest was still doing spelling tests she had options: Write each word 3 times, make a word train (write each word with no gap, but use a different color for each so: ballhallmallcall). Use the words in sentences "I went to the mall for a ball."  Make flashcards of the words to study. Things like that.

Doing things differently each time helped her retain the spelling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)