Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Good tablet for a 1st grader?

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:55 AM
  • 22 Replies
Looking for a decent, not too pricey tablet for a 1st grader? His 7th bday is Dec 18th and we're leaving a few days after on vacation to the beach. Thought it would be a good thing to have for the long car ride.
Also, any good learning apps for his age that you recommend. I'd like to have everything downloaded and ready before he gets it.
by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AJsMom81507
by Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

we have the iPad and kindle for the kids... i wouldnt go for anything else, because your child really wont grow with them.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Both of mine have Nooks. My oldest has an older version, but it still has apps, internet, and she can read on it. My youngest has a Samsung Galaxy 4.0 tablet as her older one broke a mere 3 days before a 15 hour flight this summer. Ordinarily, we don't buy electronics, but since we had such a long trip ahead of us, I broke the rule and got her the same tablet I have. It's a great inexpensive tablet as it is $130.. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Crca2003
by Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:06 AM
My thought exactly, with such a long trip... 24 hour car ride (split up into three 8 hour days). I'm hoping between fun games, learning games and movies it should keep him busy for most the time.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Both of mine have Nooks. My oldest has an older version, but it still has apps, internet, and she can read on it. My youngest has a Samsung Galaxy 4.0 tablet as her older one broke a mere 3 days before a 15 hour flight this summer. Ordinarily, we don't buy electronics, but since we had such a long trip ahead of us, I broke the rule and got her the same tablet I have. It's a great inexpensive tablet as it is $130.. 

RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:10 AM

After some research it seems that what you want to look for is memory and operating system above all. You can go ipad or Nook but you can also go less expensive as long as you have decent memory (16gb is not enough) and a current operating system. We bought our kids tablets over the summer. I did not want to spend a fortune because A)I didn't know how much they would really use them B)they are only 7 adn 8, not really reliable to take care of something expensive and C)we were moving and knew they would get some wear and tear. We spend $60 on each at Walmart back to school sales. Kids love them and we have had no problems whatsoever. 

mcginnisc
by Claire on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:26 AM

I have to say, Karli ended up sleeping a lot on the long flight..although, she did use her ipod and tablet and watch movies on the plane as well. I was glad she slept as the last thing we wanted was a crabby 7 year old when we were already so tired ourselves. 

Quoting Crca2003: My thought exactly, with such a long trip... 24 hour car ride (split up into three 8 hour days). I'm hoping between fun games, learning games and movies it should keep him busy for most the time.
Quoting mcginnisc:

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Khooks
by Jessica on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:35 AM
My first grader has an iPad mini. My sister has been through like 3 cheap tablets and none of them work correctly or last. That being said I think a nice quality case is essential.
jamianne
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 12:23 PM

My kids (7 & 9) have iPads and Kindle Fires.  They've have the Kindles for I think 3 years now and the iPads for a little over a year.  

Whatever you get, get a *good* quality case for it.  We have OtterBox cases for everything.  They're pricey but definitely worth it. 

aetrom
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 12:36 PM
We got used ipads. Has worked well for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviaW.
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:05 PM

My kids have Kindle Fires. They are $50 and have expandable memories. Easy to add apps and you can lock them down so they can't buy anything on them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)