Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

16 Classic Holiday TV Specials We Can't Wait to Watch With Our Kids

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:28 AM
  • 6 Replies

It's one of the greatest joys of being a parent during the holiday season: Introducing your kids to the TV specials we waited for all year long during our own childhoods. Not only are the shows themselves still as entertaining as they ever were, but it's almost equally entertaining to watch their faces as we explain how "back before Netflix," we didn't get to watch whatever we wanted whenever we wanted!

Even though some of these festive specials are now just a click away, that doesn't make watching them this time of year any less, well, special -- and we're not just being nostalgic. Get ready for some major holiday memories with these snippets!

What classic holiday shows are you looking forward to?

by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Linda_Runs
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:55 AM

I love my Christmas specials.  My kids do like many of the Christmas specials, even the ones I grew up with.  There are modern classics such as National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Christmas with the Kranks and so on.  No Christmas season is complete without Santa Claus is Coming to Town.

PrincessAsmommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 1:55 PM

That a great list and there's only a couple on it that I don't remember ever watching.

I spend days making a schedule of when the specials are on what channels. Sadly the networks are showing less and less of them every year. I remember when I was little you could sit down for an hour after supper and watch specials and movies. And now if they are on I have to cross my fingers that they're on when the kids are actually up!

Our must watch classics are Little Drummer Boy, Charlie Brown, Rudolph, Santa's Coming to Town, Year Without a Santa, Frosty, Grinch, and the Mickey Mouse specials. The more modern specials the HAVE to watch are the Prep and Landing shows, Elf, The Polar Express, and Shrek the Halls. I also have to watch It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Carol (the b/w one from 1951 with Alistair Sim), and the annual NBC live musical.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Nov. 28, 2016 at 2:10 PM
We watch The Grinch cartoon, Rudolph, Scrooged, Charlie Brown, and more.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 2:45 PM

My kids love National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. They've already watched it once this season.

They like the classic animated stuff.

They have not seen John Denver and the Muppets A Christmas Together, but they have heard the soundtrack to it- that is one of my fave's, and I still have my vinyl record of it.

Dd likes to watch White Christmas with me- the boys don't like that one : )

Our town hall has shown The Polar Express the past couple of years- they encourage kids to come in their pj's, and serve hot chocolate, water, and popcorn. If they do it again, we'll all go see that again.

Cafe MichelleP
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2016 at 11:24 AM

Charlie Brown, Rudolph ( which we already watched), Grinch, Polar Express, Frosty the Snowman, Home Alone and all the Mickey Mouse holiday shows we watch as a family. 

My DH and I watch Love Actually, National Lampoons Christmas Vacation and Die Hard ( yes it's a Christmas movie 😉) also.

Khooks
by Jessica on Nov. 29, 2016 at 4:22 PM
I like several on the list. Santa clause is coming to town, year without a santa clause and the old animated types like that. I like the new a Christmas carol, polar express, and my favorite is Arthur Christmas. I didn't really care for the grinch but it's grown on me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)