• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rough Night

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:23 AM
  • 13 Replies

So last night was a rough one. DH did not make sure ds checked his blood sugar before dinner. Then he didn't count or figure carbs. He simply guessed. He gave ds 6 units of insulin when he only needed 2! About an hour later we began the race of keeping his sugar above 80. That much of an insulin overdose could have killed my son. Thankfully dd16 was there to help. When dh makes such stupid decisions she gets really mad and protective of him. She actually slept with him last night to monitor him, which she didn't ahve to do. Around midnight things evened out but it was stressful for everyone. 

by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomInANutHouse
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 12:35 PM
I would not be with someone who was so careless with my child's health.
wife-4-life
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 12:56 PM
Wow. I'm sorry.

I don't understand how that happened?? Is this just a new process and he's not used to doing it? Or that he couldn't be bothered to do it??
Rhiannon1980
by Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 1:24 PM
That would be scary. Glad everything is good now.
my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Jan. 18, 2017 at 1:53 PM

Is it possible for you to get a dog?  Some breeds are able to tell the drop in blood sugar naturally.  My friend has diabetes and she had a husky.  The dog would wake her up if she dropped to a dangerous level.  He never had training on it.

Hopefully your son will be able to manage on his own but what your husband did was very stupid.

Handsup4
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 1:57 PM
I hope your husband isn't really that irresponsible when it comes to your child's life. I have nothing nice to say, so I better just stop now.
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:00 PM

I'm glad that everything worked out okay. It is truly awesome that your dd is so protective of her little brother. 

What did your husband have to say for himself? It was completely irresponsible and he could have killed his child by being so negligent. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:20 PM

Every single one of you that has something to say about dh is right. <sigh> DH just didn't want to be bothered with getting up to go get the info and do the calculations. This is why I rarely let him deal with the diabetes. He doesn't care about his own diabetes. This is the third time in 2.5 yrs.

Here is what he needed to do. He made a frozen pizza for dinner. The serving size was 1/8 of a pizza. He cut the pizza into something like 20 pieces. What he needed to do was take carbs times 8 to get the total pie then divide by how many pieces he actually cut it into. That gives you how much each piece is. Then you multiply that by how many pieces he actually ate. DS also ate pineapple. He didn't know the carbs and didn't want to go look it up on the computer. He also didn't monitor how much ds ate of the pineapple. 

This is my fault for not micromanaging the whole thing. 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 3:29 PM

How scary! Glad your ds is ok. That's great that his sister took such good care of him.

While I normally try to avoid confrontation, I would've been giving dh an earful for that. Not properly monitoring his diabetes is one thing, but being that careless/lazy with his son is quite another.

RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 4:46 PM

Oh, believe me, we had a conversation. Some real intense fellowship was going on over that. It finally clicked for him that I wasn't just being a crazy controlling witch when I marched our crying son in to talk to him. I told my son to tell his dad why he was crying. He told he was scared. Scared he would die. Scared he would go low and not wake up. Scared he would have to go to the hospital. That got dh in the feels alright. 

Quoting wakymom:

How scary! Glad your ds is ok. That's great that his sister took such good care of him.

While I normally try to avoid confrontation, I would've been giving dh an earful for that. Not properly monitoring his diabetes is one thing, but being that careless/lazy with his son is quite another.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:06 PM

I'm sorry ds is/was scared like that, but glad that got through to your dh.

Quoting RaeMarie:

Oh, believe me, we had a conversation. Some real intense fellowship was going on over that. It finally clicked for him that I wasn't just being a crazy controlling witch when I marched our crying son in to talk to him. I told my son to tell his dad why he was crying. He told he was scared. Scared he would die. Scared he would go low and not wake up. Scared he would have to go to the hospital. That got dh in the feels alright. 

Quoting wakymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)