• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When you get the call

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:57 AM
  • 54 Replies

What time do they call you in the morning if they end up cancelling school for the day?

Every time they cancel school here they are calling me at 4:42am.

by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsniebo
by Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:22 AM
We found out around 8:30 last night that school is delayed today due to ice. We haven't had a snow day in the time DD has been in school, so I don't know about cancelations.
emkirkley
by Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:49 AM

here it's generally around 6am, sometimes a little earlier....sometimes they close early and let you know around 9 that they have to be picked up by xx:xx time (a couple friday's ago they let the kids out at 1230pm because freezing rain was supposed to start by 130ish, we were notified around 9am via notification in our app and an all call on the phones)

ljmom24
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 12:32 PM
We usually find out the night before
soymujer
by Mikki on Jan. 18, 2017 at 12:33 PM

6 am which is I'm up and showered already!

MomInANutHouse
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
About 5. The high school starts before elementary and they have to get word out before the buses have to go out.
1210maggie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 1:08 PM

Hasn't happened at our new school yet. Our old school they would text and post online at 745 am if school is closed or delayed opening. Regular start time for school is 8:05 am, it was so annoying.

1210maggie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 1:19 PM

Hasn't happened at our new school yet. Our old school they would text and post online at 745 am if school is closed or delayed opening. Regular start time for school is 8:05 am, it was so annoying.

my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Jan. 18, 2017 at 1:47 PM

Normally by 5:30 or 6am.  High school here starts at 7:15 the latest so some kids are on busses before 6am.

Momof5Boys610
by Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 1:50 PM
There is no set time when they call where we live. It's just kind of whenever the superintendent makes the call. I hate it because sometimes it's not much notice.

Yesterday it was a 2 hour delay the night before, then at about 7:50 a.m. they did the call, text, email for a cancellation.
huskermom98
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:51 PM

Whenever they make the call to cancel/delay, sometimes it's the night before while other times its early in the morning.  I thought there was a "by ____am" time, but I can't find it anymore--most of the middle schools and high schools start at 7:40am, but since our son's bus's pickup time is 6:35am I would assume they have to make a decision on later than 6.   We get phone calls on all phone numbers listed, plus texts and emails so it's very annoying!  But it also very rarely happens because its no small deal to delay/cancel for a district with 30K students.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)