Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Montessori Schools???

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 1:57 PM
  • 23 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hello! I am curently trying to decide where I want to send my daughter to school next year for Kindergarten. She is currently in a private school for Pre-K. I'm torrn between a public school, charter, or montessori. Does anyone have kids that attend (or previously attended) a montessori school? I have friends/family that have kids in public and in charter, but I don't know anyone personally with montessori experience.

Did you like it? Hate it? Was there really much difference at all? Any feedback is helpful!! Thanks :)

by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
monkeydavis05
by Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:27 PM

BUMP!

RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:33 PM
2 moms liked this

I worked in one before I had kids. I swore I would never send my kids to one. I felt it was a little unorganized and chaotic. The kids I dealt with had little discipline as far as getting on task and staying focused on task. I was in a 3-6yr old classroom. I was one of 4 teachers in there. For our room it was mostly ABC's, 123's, colors, shapes and fine motor skills. Normally kids can start traditional school at age 5. At age 5 they are learning to read, math concepts (like adding and subtracting), spelling etc. A 6 yr old in montessori is behind his peers as far as I am concerned. This is just my experience working in one for a year and only at the 3-6 age group. 

As parents we discussed private, public, homeschooling and virtual schooling for our kids. We ended up with them in public for elem and pulled out oldest out to virtual school for 7-9th grade. She is back in traditional school for now. She excelled in virtual but struggles in traditional due to distractions. 

monkeydavis05
by Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:58 PM
Thank you! Very helpful

Quoting RaeMarie:

I worked in one before I had kids. I swore I would never send my kids to one. I felt it was a little unorganized and chaotic. The kids I dealt with had little discipline as far as getting on task and staying focused on task. I was in a 3-6yr old classroom. I was one of 4 teachers in there. For our room it was mostly ABC's, 123's, colors, shapes and fine motor skills. Normally kids can start traditional school at age 5. At age 5 they are learning to read, math concepts (like adding and subtracting), spelling etc. A 6 yr old in montessori is behind his peers as far as I am concerned. This is just my experience working in one for a year and only at the 3-6 age group. 

As parents we discussed private, public, homeschooling and virtual schooling for our kids. We ended up with them in public for elem and pulled out oldest out to virtual school for 7-9th grade. She is back in traditional school for now. She excelled in virtual but struggles in traditional due to distractions. 

Marti123
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2017 at 6:29 AM
3 moms liked this
Montessori schools from my research can be about as diverse as public or charter schools. Great ones, horrible ones and somewhere in between. It is just one theory that an be implemented in a variety of degrees. You really have to look at the individual school, imo.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2017 at 7:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I  agree with this. It's not a method I ever wanted for my kids so I would never choose it, but I would ask your neighbors.

Quoting Marti123: Montessori schools from my research can be about as diverse as public or charter schools. Great ones, horrible ones and somewhere in between. It is just one theory that an be implemented in a variety of degrees. You really have to look at the individual school, imo.

Jadegirl1819
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2017 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I only know of one kid that went to montessori.  He went there for prek, k, and first grade.  At the end of first grade he still couldn't read at all.  The school didn't think it was a big deal.  The mom pulled him and put him in private school and he had to repeat first grade.  He is doing well now.

monkeydavis05
by Member on Jan. 19, 2017 at 9:47 AM
Good point. Thanks for responding!

Quoting Marti123: Montessori schools from my research can be about as diverse as public or charter schools. Great ones, horrible ones and somewhere in between. It is just one theory that an be implemented in a variety of degrees. You really have to look at the individual school, imo.
monkeydavis05
by Member on Jan. 19, 2017 at 9:48 AM
That's horrible 😑. Thanks for responding!

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

I only know of one kid that went to montessori.  He went there for prek, k, and first grade.  At the end of first grade he still couldn't read at all.  The school didn't think it was a big deal.  The mom pulled him and put him in private school and he had to repeat first grade.  He is doing well now.

artemisa3001
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2017 at 10:27 AM
2 moms liked this
As said there are good and bad like any system and method.

I like the Montessori method and we visited 3 before deciding.

One. I wanted to run the opposite way, the kids were watching tv, snacks were animal crackers and apple juice every day and it was just bad.

The other 2 were great.

Dd started when she was 2 and began reading at 3, and learning multiplication at 5.

When she finished K on Montessori she was ready to start second grade in a public school.

Most of the kids that were in her class were ahead of their peers when they began 1st grade in public schools and all are doing great. They also learnt to be organized and to clean up after themselves.

When it's properly done it's a great method, but you have to find a good one.

Not all children thrive in this system, I know neither dh nor I would since we needed a more structure system but dd and dh's sister did great in it. Dh's sister is a federal judge now.
Lynette
by on Jan. 19, 2017 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I have heard wonderful things about the one in my area. I know a little about their philosophy and method. It sounds good. If I wasn't homeschooling I would have looked into it for my children.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)