Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Please. First Time in School

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 1:57 PM
  • 13 Replies
We homeschooled ds7 for the first two and a half academic school years. Due to having a baby in December and me just being overwhelmed in general with three kids, we enrolled ds7 in the second semester of second grade. Yesterday was his first day; his teacher was very nice and super helpful and he came home very happy about school.

In his "take home" folder there was a TMEI score sheet that showed he was performing poorly in three of the five math topics. I've already emailed the teacher to see what we can do to help him catch up in class but I feel bad; he's performing poorly because of me and I am second guessing my myself. I had planned on homeschoooling my second as well but now I don't know. I am still worried about how eldest boy will fare and I feel like I have hindered his academic progress overall and maybe he will never catch up (I know that's irrational). It makes me not want to even attempt to homeschool my second or third kid.

I guess I just want some words of advice and wisdom from women who may have been in a similar situation where their child was behind or enrolling them in the middle of the year or enrolling them after homeschooling. Anything helps. Thanks.
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sydel
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never homeschooled but my SIL does online learning and I have a friend who is doing unschooling.

Personally I would not let a few scores on his first day shake you or your confidence. The beauty of homeschool from what I understand is your child can work at their own pace. It shouldn't matter if he's a little behind. He will catch up just as he would have if you had continued to homeschool him.

Follow up on your email to the teacher and relax. Some kids just don't test well but know the material. This could be the case with your son. Let him settle in and go from there.

RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

It will all even out. Just give him time. If you choose to continue  homeschooling I suggest you look into virtual schooling like K12. Their curriculum is more at the pace of the school system but still offers the ability to work at their own pace. Our school district even offers a virtual program. Many (like K12 or Connections) are free even. 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 3:23 PM

I wouldn't worry about his being behind just yet. We moved into a new district when ds1 was going into 2nd gr, and he ended up being a bit behind- his new class started out the year reviewing stuff he had not been taught yet. He had an awesome teacher, though, and she worked hard with him to get him caught up.

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 3:36 PM
It's so easy to second guess and doubt yourself. Give him time to adjust and settle in. IMO, as long as you and the teacher work as a team, your son will be fine.
mollypop29
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 3:39 PM
Thank you ladies for the advice. I do feel a bit better and I know that the first few weeks are going to be an adjustment period and that he will be fine, but it's so easy to let your thoughts overwhelm you. I am just gonna try to keep on top of what's going on in class so we can work at home to help cement the subjects they are studying. Again thank you all for the advice.
ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 7:50 PM
My daughter hasn't been homeschooled, but we moved two weeks ago. My daughter just finished her first week. At her old school, she was learning double digit multiplication and division. At her new school, she walked into the middle of a unit on fractions.

My husband talked to her teacher today because she's struggling to grasp the new concept, and we want to see what we can do to help her. However, the teacher told us not to worry. Despite the current challenges, she can tell that this is temporary, and she'll grasp it soon.

Be patient. He's new to the environment. Give him a chance to settle in.
yoga_mom912
by Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:41 PM
He could have also been nervous taking a formal test for the first time. I wouldn't beat yourself up. Just do what you're doing by reaching out to the teacher to see what you can do on your end to get him to where he should be 🤗
aetrom
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2017 at 4:04 PM
I certainly do not think scores on his first day in that setting is a sign for worry. Gove it a couple weeks and then talk to the teacher about progress.

Also, in homeschooling you are able to cater to strengths and some of the harder can be left for a bit later. There is nothing wrong with that! It is just different and will affect the adjustment period.
gramabrenda
by New Member on Jan. 25, 2017 at 12:53 PM

You sound like a great mom who is really trying to do what is best for her children. I hope you enjoyed the really good advice you have rec'd and that is helping you to put things in perspective. As a teacher anytime we had a student move in the middle of the year they were always ahead or behind in one or more subjects. Not every classroom moves at the same pace everywhere.

I know when we would change school situations with my children I had to just do the best I could and trust God with the rest. I am praying for you and your family. 

Quoting mollypop29: Thank you ladies for the advice. I do feel a bit better and I know that the first few weeks are going to be an adjustment period and that he will be fine, but it's so easy to let your thoughts overwhelm you. I am just gonna try to keep on top of what's going on in class so we can work at home to help cement the subjects they are studying. Again thank you all for the advice.

PinkButterfly66
by on Jan. 25, 2017 at 2:05 PM

Time4learning.com is a really good website.  And touchmath.com has some really good worksheets to teach math.  I used their workbooks for my daughter for 3rd grade.  They have free worksheets you can print out and you can buy workbooks without buying the whole program which is like $300.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)