Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Son not himself

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:43 PM
  • 28 Replies
My 6 year old has ADHD and it's managed with Ritalin. He's been on it since September and only at school. He used to be his happy, bubbly self then a week and a half ago he's become withdrawn at school. His teacher said he won't raise his hand, won't talk to other kids, plays by himself etc. My daughter said when they get on the bus to go to school he becomes quiet but when they come home he's himself again.

I've asked him and tried to talk to him about what's going on but he refuses to talk about school. The school counselor has talked to him and nada.

Also for some reason the past week he's been obsessed with death. He's worried about dying and wants to know if we come back after dying. I'm like what?? That's never been a topic in our house.

I called his behavioral therapist today and we have an appointment next Thursday for him.

Any ideas on how to figure out what's going on?
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 3:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I wonder if he is being bullied with threats of death.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 3:07 PM

My first thought was that he may be getting bullied at school.

Bluecalm
by Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 3:29 PM
It could be a side effect of the medication. Which one is he taking?
Mommato5kids
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this
He was bullied by some first graders last year. He's redoing kindergarten because he was a young 5 last year and it was hard for him because the other kids were 6 years old.

I've asked him if anyone is threatening him or hurting him and he said "I don't want to say". I ask about his day and it's "I don't want to say".

I'm like how can I get you to open up? He knows that you don't keep secrets from mom or dad.

Quoting RaeMarie:

I wonder if he is being bullied with threats of death.

raczac
by Cindi on Jan. 18, 2017 at 3:53 PM
What medication is he on. Last year my son who is adhd was on concerta was threating to kill himself at 8 years old. We took him off that med he is just now starting back on meds and is on tenex it is a non stimulant med to help with adhd.
Mommato5kids
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 3:54 PM
He was bullied by some first graders last year. He's redoing kindergarten because he was a young 5 last year and it was hard for him because the other kids were 6 years old.

I've asked him if anyone is threatening him or hurting him and he said "I don't want to say". I ask about his day and it's "I don't want to say".

I'm like how can I get you to open up? He knows that you don't keep secrets from mom or dad.

Quoting Bluecalm: It could be a side effect of the medication. Which one is he taking?
Mommato5kids
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 3:55 PM
5 mg of Ritalin at 7 am and 12 pm

Quoting Bluecalm: It could be a side effect of the medication. Which one is he taking?
Mommato5kids
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 3:56 PM
Ritalin. That's so scary about your son!

Quoting raczac: What medication is he on. Last year my son who is adhd was on concerta was threating to kill himself at 8 years old. We took him off that med he is just now starting back on meds and is on tenex it is a non stimulant med to help with adhd.
raczac
by Cindi on Jan. 18, 2017 at 4:05 PM
It really is. Have you called his doctor to let him know that your son is not acting like himself? If not, i would if I were you. Hope you can figure out what is going on with your son.

Quoting Mommato5kids: Ritalin. That's so scary about your son!

Quoting raczac: What medication is he on. Last year my son who is adhd was on concerta was threating to kill himself at 8 years old. We took him off that med he is just now starting back on meds and is on tenex it is a non stimulant med to help with adhd.
mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 4:07 PM

Try to get him to talk to you.  He needs to share his feelings (good, bad or indifferent) with you.  Maybe he needs to attend a different school. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)