Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You won't be "that" kid

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 7:52 AM
  • 20 Replies
The one who doesn't do any of the project work but gets credit because others in the group did the project.

Apparently DS is doing a group project in science at school. He whined to me this morning how there was no way he was going to read the book that got checked out for him. I gave him a lecture on it. Which yippee for doing at 6:30 this morning.

I told him that he needs to do his part and read the book. It is on hurricanes. Whoopee. Not a big deal. Read the book, do your part. Don't be "that" kid. Simple enough.

Sometimes he just gets on my nerves. BTW, he is 9.
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 7:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 26, 2017 at 7:57 AM
4 moms liked this

Group projects stink....

I agree with you though- don't be that person. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

bookaddict88
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:00 AM
I hated group projects too. But I still did my portion. He is in this really moody phase lately.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Group projects stink....

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting bookaddict88: I hated group projects too. But I still did my portion. He is in this really moody phase lately.
Quoting mcginnisc:

Group projects stink....

He's 9..most kids are moody at this age as they are starting puberty. It ends around 18..or so I'm told. LOL 

My oldest  daughter is 11 and has never been moody.. my 8 year old?? Oh good gracious...she could give lessons in moodiness. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

ESS81985
by Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

The stuggle is real, I had the same discussion with my 9year old step son. He has this way of thinking he can sell me on alternative truths that he participates by supporting the group members in what they do and write and that showing team spirit is good enough. I swear this kid is going to be selling bubble gum at a lock jaw unit.

RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I hate group projects. DS class does a small group activitie every day for their language block. Apparently ds has been regularly getting in trouble during this time for acting up. He says his part is done and he is bored so he does things to annoy the others. Ugh. I told him and his teacher to have him keep a book with him to read while others finish their part (they are writing books and different kids write and illustrate) to keep him from being bored. 

Sydel
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I was ALWAYS the leader of group projects are so was/is my oldest. We are horrible micro-managers. Dd had a girl in 6th grade who did nothing. Dd made notes/minutes of every group talk and took them to the teacher. She did not want to put the girl's name on the project.

I'm glad you told your son NOT to be that kid. My youngest is not a leader but she usually does her part.

STVUstudent
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

My 9 year old daughter is working on a group project- she is paired up with "that kid."  He refuses to do anything, he just goofs off while she does the work.  She is going to end up turning in half a project.

Hell, I dealt with that crap in grad school.  It sucks.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

While ds1 is lazy, he has put at least some effort into group projects.

Ds2 and dd are more motivated in school, so I've never had this problem with them.

I was border-line "that kid" once on a group assignment on Animal Farm in 12th gr English. No one in my group said anything to me, but I ended up feeling bad about not putting enough effort into it after we gave our presentation.

STVUstudent
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 1:15 PM
2 moms liked this

My 8 year old is starting puberty.  MOODY?  Can we say MOODY!!!!!  When we gave her the middle name of Grace, it was because, at 2, we already knew that she would need it if she was going to live to be 18... now, I am thinking that we should have given her a first name like "Serenity" or "Not-an-agent-of-the-devil"...

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting bookaddict88: I hated group projects too. But I still did my portion. He is in this really moody phase lately.
Quoting mcginnisc:

Group projects stink....

He's 9..most kids are moody at this age as they are starting puberty. It ends around 18..or so I'm told. LOL 

My oldest  daughter is 11 and has never been moody.. my 8 year old?? Oh good gracious...she could give lessons in moodiness. 

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 26, 2017 at 1:25 PM
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Quoting STVUstudent:

My 8 year old is starting puberty.  MOODY?  Can we say MOODY!!!!!  When we gave her the middle name of Grace, it was because, at 2, we already knew that she would need it if she was going to live to be 18... now, I am thinking that we should have given her a first name like "Serenity" or "Not-an-agent-of-the-devil"...

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Group projects stink....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)