Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yay Science

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:15 AM
  • 5 Replies

Dd was suppose to bring in something that could change matter from solid to liquid to gas. It didn't have to do all 3 just a combination of the two.

I told her that she could bring in saltine crackers. In my mind they can be crushed and if you add water they become all gooey.  At 10:30 pm I realized we didn't have crackers. She was upset as she didn't want to bring in crackers in the first place.

So we made a late night trip to Kroger and came home to make oobleck, moon sand, and playdough.

She was soo excited this morning to bring in her creations.

I am beyond greatful for Pinterest and my oldest for bailing me out of this mom fail.  She wants to make putty and slime tonight.

Any other Pinterest Project mamas in the group? What other items could we have brought that would have met the solid, liquid, gas requirements. I suck at science and hurt my brain just thinking of crackers!

by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MomInANutHouse
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:28 AM
Oobleck is fun, but messy. When I was babysitting last winter we read the book and made oobleck when my kids were in winter break.
We've made slime, and a few different play doughs. Last fall we made orange play dough and put pumpkin spice in it to smell like pumpkin pie, and for winter we made green and put mint essential oil in it.
We made "silk dough" with corn starch and conditioner.
This week we tried to make fluffy slime with shaving cream, glue and contact solution. I don't know if I had the wrong contact solution or what but I couldn't get it to work!

Once we even made bouncy balls, I should do that again I doubt my kids remember because it was a long time ago.
Sydel
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:35 AM

I had never even heard of oobleck until my oldest demanded that we make it. They had fun. It was nice to see them bond. Dh came home this morning and was not impressed with the mess I left. I tried cleaning it but didn't sweep the floor. LOL

Parent teacher conference is tonight. I'm excited to hear what other kids brought.

Quoting MomInANutHouse: Oobleck is fun, but messy. When I was babysitting last winter we read the book and made oobleck when my kids were in winter break. We've made slime, and a few different play doughs. Last fall we made orange play dough and put pumpkin spice in it to smell like pumpkin pie, and for winter we made green and put mint essential oil in it. We made "silk dough" with corn starch and conditioner. This week we tried to make fluffy slime with shaving cream, glue and contact solution. I don't know if I had the wrong contact solution or what but I couldn't get it to work! Once we even made bouncy balls, I should do that again I doubt my kids remember because it was a long time ago.

MomInANutHouse
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:50 AM
I wish our school did fun stuff. They do have a science fair in the spring, anyone can do their own project at home and bring it in and put it on a table in the gym.
Then at night it's open to all the kids and parents, but the kids who do projects don't stand by their stuff to explain it, kids run around unsupervised throwing slime and crap around, other experiments end up broken.

I think this summer I may do coke and mentos.

Quoting Sydel:

I had never even heard of oobleck until my oldest demanded that we make it. They had fun. It was nice to see them bond. Dh came home this morning and was not impressed with the mess I left. I tried cleaning it but didn't sweep the floor. LOL

Parent teacher conference is tonight. I'm excited to hear what other kids brought.

Quoting MomInANutHouse: Oobleck is fun, but messy. When I was babysitting last winter we read the book and made oobleck when my kids were in winter break.

We've made slime, and a few different play doughs. Last fall we made orange play dough and put pumpkin spice in it to smell like pumpkin pie, and for winter we made green and put mint essential oil in it.

We made "silk dough" with corn starch and conditioner.

This week we tried to make fluffy slime with shaving cream, glue and contact solution. I don't know if I had the wrong contact solution or what but I couldn't get it to work!

Once we even made bouncy balls, I should do that again I doubt my kids remember because it was a long time ago.

Sydel
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:15 AM

My cousin in Texas posted a video of her son doing coke and mentos. He got all wet! It was hilarous.

Our kids do two science fairs and a health fair. In 6th the kids do a group presentation. In 8th they do independant. Presenting is part of their grade. DD1 got 2nd place last year. She did a study on music and emotions. The winner literally made a model city that used alternative energy.

In 10th grade (she's not there yet) they will do a health presentation.

The little one is in a different district so I'm not sure what all to expect. This was just a class thing. Dd2 loves science and math or should I say MONEY.

Quoting MomInANutHouse: I wish our school did fun stuff. They do have a science fair in the spring, anyone can do their own project at home and bring it in and put it on a table in the gym. Then at night it's open to all the kids and parents, but the kids who do projects don't stand by their stuff to explain it, kids run around unsupervised throwing slime and crap around, other experiments end up broken. I think this summer I may do coke and mentos.
Quoting Sydel:

Quoting MomInANutHouse: Oobleck is fun, but messy. When I was babysitting last winter we read the book and made oobleck when my kids were in winter break. We've made slime, and a few different play doughs. Last fall we made orange play dough and put pumpkin spice in it to smell like pumpkin pie, and for winter we made green and put mint essential oil in it. We made "silk dough" with corn starch and conditioner. This week we tried to make fluffy slime with shaving cream, glue and contact solution. I don't know if I had the wrong contact solution or what but I couldn't get it to work! Once we even made bouncy balls, I should do that again I doubt my kids remember because it was a long time ago.

mrsniebo
by Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 5:26 PM
I love hearing what classes will do for science. My oldest is a kindergartener, so we've had fun doing some Pinterest science experiments at home.

Were the items for your DD's class supposed to change from one phase to another at a particular temperature? The kids and I made colored ice spheres (a solid) a few weeks ago when the temperature was under 5 degrees outside and left them on our deck. Now that it's warmer, we've been watching the spheres change to a liquid phase (melting into water) and a gas phase (evaporating into water vapor, leaving a dry deck).

Another idea for something that easily changes from a solid to a liquid is chocolate (like chocolate chips). The melting point of chocolate is around 100 degrees, which is why it will melt in someone's hand if it's held onto for too long.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)