• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IEP edit

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 5:36 PM
  • 7 Replies
My son is in kindergarten and just got an iep . Yes my son is having a hard time. I have never had a child with an iep so I don't know what to expect. Is there anything that I need to know that I am not asking? The IEP is for learning disabilities. He is not doing has well as the other kids. It doesn't help he has add/ADHD
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Make sure that you know his goals and his accommodations so that you can be sure he is making progress g given what he needs to succeed. 

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Services are given to a child with a disability.  Theses services can be given outside of the classroom or within the classroom.  Examples can include speech/language therapy or a plan to help a child with behavieral issues.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Some of it depends on what his IEP is for. My boys each had one for a while because they needed speech therapy. They were pulled out of class for about 30mins 2-3 times a week to work with the school's speech therapist.

Make sure you know what the goals are that they are going to work on with him.

While you usually have an IEP meeting once a year to go over what he's accomplished, what he still needs to work on, and to set new goals, you have the right to call a meeting at any time if you have concerns. Always put these requests in writing or copy yourself on the email so you have a record of it. Speak up in these meetings if you have a concern about your son that you feel isn't being addressed or if you feel they are focusing on the wrong things.

ESS81985
by Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a guidance / special ed supervisor, depends on your state but there is a book that is kind of like a cliffnotes version of the state code for special ed law.  Know the parental rights at least, but get familiar with the actual code. you are required to get a copy.  I have a lot of info and resources if you have any specific questions please let me now. 

RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it largely depends on what the IEP is for. My dd16 had one in third grade (I still hate third grade!). Hers had her taking tests away from the others facing the wall, she had to sit near the teacher at the front of the room and her homework was modified to only what she could accomplish in an hour. That went away after third grade because the rest of her teachers were just better at their jobs. 

My ds8 has a 504 which includes IEP type things. Before he can be tested they have to be sure his bloodsugar is between 80 and 150. He also sits near the front because high/low bloodsugar can cause vision issues. 

When I helped set one up for my nephew in fifth we included allowing him to wear headphones and listen to his ipod during independant work time and tests. He was allowed to pace quietly at the back of the class while the teacher was teaching. He also had an exercise ball he could sit on instead of a regular chair. 

ESS81985
by Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

One key thing to remember are specific modifications and PLAFF, not generic ones because most ieps are done on computer programs, its easy to just point click shoot.  Remember the key words of Least restrictive environment, as in are they meeting his needs with out restricting his potential to work at his ability.

Also, until he is 2nd grade, have 2 iep meetings a year. Do not worry about being annoying, its their job to communicate progress with you and twice a year is a huge advantage that most parents dont know they can ask for. there actually is not limit on how many meetings you can ask for, they call it an annual review, but do more. I would say one in October and May is ideal based on his needs.  Remember you are a member of a team, just because they are in the school and you are home, you know your child better and always will.

If they ask for any further evals, they ask for it, they pay for it, never pay out of pocket if they ask for it, you can also request  evals and they may have to pay for it, - if you dont ask-  you do not get.  I respect parents that are demanding, its better than the ones who dont seem to care.

ESS81985
by Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Does he have SLD, LLD, because that also makes a difference in what programming he gets. has he been to a neurodevelopmental Pediatrician?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)