Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are these normal 1st grade words?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:03 PM
  • 117 Replies
My so hasn't been doing spelling tests all year they started maybe 5weeks ago. They never did spelling in kindergarten. Every time we get a new list I'm surprised by how long the words are. This week they are working on words that end with "ed" but they've never learned how to spell the root word.

Some of the words are
Sounded
Grinned
Tripped
Pointed
Parked
These are the ones he seems to have a hard time with since parked isn't said park-ed he keeps wanting to put a 't' at the end.
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cpmommy
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this

My son is in first grade, and most of his words are between 4 and 6 letters.  So, if you just look at letter count, your son's words do seem a little long.  But, if you work on the root words, then tell him to just add -ed, that will work in *most* of the cases.  For the ones like "tripped" and "grinned", he will just have to try to remember to double the last letter of the root word.

All that aside, maybe ask the teacher why the words are so long?  It's possible that they did work on those root words before, but you just aren't aware of it.

RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Those are what my kids are learning in second grade. In first grade those kind of words would be on the challenge list. In kinder my kids only had sight words that don't follow rules. 

MomInANutHouse
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't know I've never seen spelling papers before. This is only his 3rd or 4th spelling test. I just don't under stand why such complicated words. I feel like if they started the first few weeks ago with small words the bigger ones would be easier. We went from not having to study spelling, to having to memorize 7-8 letter words, I think if he got used to practicing 3 letter words and we worked up it would be better.

Quoting cpmommy:

My son is in first grade, and most of his words are between 4 and 6 letters.  So, if you just look at letter count, your son's words do seem a little long.  But, if you work on the root words, then tell him to just add -ed, that will work in *most* of the cases.  For the ones like "tripped" and "grinned", he will just have to try to remember to double the last letter of the root word.

All that aside, maybe ask the teacher why the words are so long?  It's possible that they did work on those root words before, but you just aren't aware of it.

MomInANutHouse
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
His challenge word is have!
They have what they call rainbow words. They have red, orange, yellow etc words and for each color there is a group of words. The whol class isn't even done learning those words, I feel like they should be spelling them before we get into 7-8 letter words.

I just feel bad, he's practicing every night and still can't remember all the letters. I got a spelling app, and I went and bought some sticky notes, I think I'm going to write a letter on each note and have him put them in order.
I just wish the words would come home on Friday so we could study over the weekend. He's in school for 6hrs he doesn't want to study for hours at night too, we have to go over his rainbow words, practice writing, do math flash cards, and now spelling. I try to get as much in at night as I can but some times he's just sick of sitting at school and wants to vegg out at home or play outside not sit and study more.

Quoting RaeMarie:

Those are what my kids are learning in second grade. In first grade those kind of words would be on the challenge list. In kinder my kids only had sight words that don't follow rules. 

AmaliaD
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this
No without learning the root word that isn't a normal list. Good schools don't teach spelling in first anyways.
MomInANutHouse
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

I just checked my email and got his news letter, this was on the bottom. Doesn't look like they practice much in school.

They also have to know all their planets by the 30th! I don't even know all the planets by sight and I don't remember doing that with my 5th grader.
Sometimes I wonder if this teacher knows what grade she's teaching. I totally understand why my son is having such a hard time.
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 27, 2017 at 10:21 AM

Quoting AmaliaD: No without learning the root word that isn't a normal list. Good schools don't teach spelling in first anyways.

You're kidding, right? 

Every school around here- private included teach spelling in first grade.. even in Kindergarten they have their sight words as spelling words. 

My girls have been having spelling words since K and they were in private school for several years. We homeschool now and even in 1st grade they had spelling words. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

lenashark
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 10:24 AM

Yes, those are normal for first graders. 

MomInANutHouse
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Well everyone else I've talked to says no, and everything I've googled for 1st grade words are way smaller. The teacher even said they don't practice them in school, she sends the list home and expects them to be memorized at home....after 6hrs in school.
You just like to judge me and want to disagree for the hell of it.
You should seek help.

Quoting lenashark:

lenashark
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 10:55 AM

Woah, lay off the crazy pills. Me saying that I think those are average words because that's whats being taught at our local schools means I need help? Why do you ask the question if you are going to freak out when someone doesn't agree and start insulting them? How the heck am I judging you? I don't like to judge you, I don't even recognize your screenname or know who you are. I just gave an honest perspective. 

Quoting MomInANutHouse: Well everyone else I've talked to says no, and everything I've googled for 1st grade words are way smaller. The teacher even said they don't practice them in school, she sends the list home and expects them to be memorized at home....after 6hrs in school. You just like to judge me and want to disagree for the hell of it. You should seek help.
Quoting lenashark:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)