Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would You Babysit a Kid Your Child Doesn't Like??

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:55 AM
  • 22 Replies

The other kid is not mean. My dd just doesn't click with her. They have tried playing many times and they just bump heads. I think they are too much alike. They will start out fine but after an hour or so they find something to argue about.

The mom has a date and offered $100 to keep her dd overnight. I don't believe in forcing your children to play with kids they don't like.

Have not responded to the mom yet.

Thoughts?

by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 9:26 AM

I might. Depends on how close I am with the mom/family. IF I did I would make sure I had things planned ahead. Since she is giving you $100 maybe take the girls to a movie (they won't have to interact) or skating (where there is a group of people) or something like that. If going out isn't an option perhaps a movie marathon at home? Or interact with them with board games or something so they aren't one on one. All else fails, let them have all the screen time they want! LOL 

In my house kids who are over don't always stay together. It is not unusual for me to have kids in various rooms by themselves. DD has been known to just lock herself in her room when she has had enough of her friends and they just carry on without her until she cares to join them again. Makes my father crazy but it works here. 

Khooks
by Jessica on Feb. 15, 2017 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I used to babysit in my home. My kids were not obligated to do any of the activities or play with the kids. It's technically a job. For $100 I'd probably do it but since they don't get along I'd know I'd be in charge of the entertainment.
MomInANutHouse
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this
This I babysit and my kids don't have to play with the kids I watch, they do however have to be nice and learn to get along.
With that said I did stop watching a little boy because he couldn't be nice and was hitting my kids and sneaking their toys home in his pockets.

Quoting Khooks: I used to babysit in my home. My kids were not obligated to do any of the activities or play with the kids. It's technically a job. For $100 I'd probably do it but since they don't get along I'd know I'd be in charge of the entertainment.
othermom
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 10:32 AM

Yes for a one night thing I would. I would find things for them to do like watch a movie, board games, ect. Maybe have them bake something with you, you doio crafts with them, ect

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

The bigger factor to me would be do *I* like the kid. I wouldn't expect my kids to deal with someone I'm being paid to watch (they'd have to be polite obviously), but it's more a thing of I'm going to have to entertain that kid until they go to bed for the night and am I up for that.

I'm not sure $100 would be enough for me to watch & entertain other kid overnight. LOL.

STVUstudent
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I would talk to my child and tell them that they can suck it up and be nice for the night.  I don't force my kids to hang out with kids they don't like either, but last year when we lost a lot of school for snow me and my friend (whose kids my kids didn't like) swapped babysitting so neither of us lost too much work (we traded days).  I just told my kids that they needed to be nice because we were helping each other out.  It's not like it's a forced playdate, it is just an overnight babysitting.  they can watch a  movie and go to bed.

Sydel
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:13 PM

Honestly the little girl doesn't bother me. She was over last week and other than asking for me to make her sandwich she basically stayed out of my way. The girls play together but then they bump heads. I honestly just let them argue. I haven't overheard any reason for me to intervene yet.

When they get tired of each other they go their seperate ways for a while and then reunite for an hour or so then seperate again.  Dd is currently not happy with the girl over an argument that happened last Friday. But I wouldn't be surprised if she forgets about it once the girl comes over.

I will be gone most of Saturday chaperoning an orchestra contest so dh will be with the girls more than me. He is the one who is waivering on if we should say yes. He's watched the girl before and he doesn't like the arguing.But he tries to play peacemaker.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

The bigger factor to me would be do *I* like the kid. I wouldn't expect my kids to deal with someone I'm being paid to watch (they'd have to be polite obviously), but it's more a thing of I'm going to have to entertain that kid until they go to bed for the night and am I up for that.

I'm not sure $100 would be enough for me to watch & entertain other kid overnight. LOL.

cupcake_mom
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:15 PM
This

Quoting STVUstudent:

I would talk to my child and tell them that they can suck it up and be nice for the night.  I don't force my kids to hang out with kids they don't like either, but last year when we lost a lot of school for snow me and my friend (whose kids my kids didn't like) swapped babysitting so neither of us lost too much work (we traded days).  I just told my kids that they needed to be nice because we were helping each other out.  It's not like it's a forced playdate, it is just an overnight babysitting.  they can watch a  movie and go to bed.

RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:37 PM

Then I would leave it up to dh. 

Quoting Sydel:

Honestly the little girl doesn't bother me. She was over last week and other than asking for me to make her sandwich she basically stayed out of my way. The girls play together but then they bump heads. I honestly just let them argue. I haven't overheard any reason for me to intervene yet.

When they get tired of each other they go their seperate ways for a while and then reunite for an hour or so then seperate again.  Dd is currently not happy with the girl over an argument that happened last Friday. But I wouldn't be surprised if she forgets about it once the girl comes over.

I will be gone most of Saturday chaperoning an orchestra contest so dh will be with the girls more than me. He is the one who is waivering on if we should say yes. He's watched the girl before and he doesn't like the arguing.But he tries to play peacemaker.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:41 PM
Yes.
My children don't have to interact with the child.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)