Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DD teacher

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 9:00 PM
  • 12 Replies

DD7 is in second grade. This morning her teacher calls me to ask if it is ok if she gives her some almonds from her own lunch. DD said her tummy hurt and that she had run out of time to eat breakfast. This is the second such time the teacher has done this. The first was to ask if she could give dd a cough drop. I think the teacher is going above and beyond. I think it is sweet but not necessary. Then she texted me later that dd needed watercolors (for whatever reason they were not on the supply list and I hadn't had time to get them since the note came home Monday) adn that she just bought dd some from the school store. I am sending in the $1.50 to reimburse her tomorrow. 

As for today, I told her not to feed dd but rather send her to the nurse to get a snack from her brothers low sugar stash of snacks. I told her that should this happen again, or if dd forgets her afternoon snack at home, that she can always raid this stash. 

by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LovlyRita
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like a passive aggressive way to remind mom to make sure she is getting enough to eat and school supplies. That shit would annoy me too.
RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 10:52 PM

If it had been ds teacher I would have taken it that way. DD teacher is truly sweet. DS teacher is afraid of me because we didn't start out on the right foot and  you just don't mess with my kid. 

Quoting LovlyRita: Sounds like a passive aggressive way to remind mom to make sure she is getting enough to eat and school supplies. That shit would annoy me too.

Sydel
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 9:20 AM

I personally wouldn't take offensive. I don't believe they are allowed to just give your child a cough drop without consent. So that makes sense. The almonds are a nut. Rather than going down to the office and pulling her medical record it seems texting would just be easier. I would say something to my dd about going to her teacher and asking for things. But I wouldn't feel any type of way towards the teacher. Or the water colors. As you said the note came home Monday. You haven't gotten them. They kids probably started their project or whatever and she didnt' want your kid to feel left out.

I just read your reply where you said the teacher is sweet. So what's the issue. I feel like maybe you are feeling some kind of way and projecting your feelings onto the teacher. JMO

lenashark
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 9:26 AM
Personally, I would say no to all of the above. If my child runs out of time eating breakfast, that's on them. They can wait for lunch. And I wouldn't want the teacher giving my children cough medicine, that isn't allowed at all at our school.
coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 9:35 AM
I agree. The teacher seems to be helpful and caring. JMO but I would save the low sugar snacks for the child who needs them and make sure DD was eating enough. DS needs the snacks more and it's more disruptive to send DD to the nurse for food.

Quoting Sydel:

I personally wouldn't take offensive. I don't believe they are allowed to just give your child a cough drop without consent. So that makes sense. The almonds are a nut. Rather than going down to the office and pulling her medical record it seems texting would just be easier. I would say something to my dd about going to her teacher and asking for things. But I wouldn't feel any type of way towards the teacher. Or the water colors. As you said the note came home Monday. You haven't gotten them. They kids probably started their project or whatever and she didnt' want your kid to feel left out.

I just read your reply where you said the teacher is sweet. So what's the issue. I feel like maybe you are feeling some kind of way and projecting your feelings onto the teacher. JMO

RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 10:39 AM

I have no problem with the teacher. I said she went above and beyond, not that she overstepped or crossed boundaries. I think it is very sweet of her to go the extra mile with her students. She is a very good teacher and I like her alot. My ds teacher not so much. 

RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 10:44 AM

There are more than enough snacks for my ds should he have a low sugar AND enough to share with his sister occassionally. In his pack are pb crackers, applesauce pouches, granola bars, skittles, fruit snacks, juice boxes and goldfish crackers plus regular glucose tabs. When he runs low on any one item she sends a text adn I replenish that week. Besides, if there were an emergency with sugar and he had nothing available the school will provide whatever is needed. I always send in bulk. I think the applesauce pouches come in boxes of 12, pb come in packs of 8 (with 6 crackers per pack), fruit snacks I believe are 32, granola bars are 18. So sharing is no issue. They just won't let her have the skittles or fruit snacks because they don't deem those as "healthy" which I don't either. 

Quoting coolmommy2x: I agree. The teacher seems to be helpful and caring. JMO but I would save the low sugar snacks for the child who needs them and make sure DD was eating enough. DS needs the snacks more and it's more disruptive to send DD to the nurse for food.
Quoting Sydel:

PrincessAsmommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 2:34 PM

Gotta love when your kid gets a teacher that loves them as much as they love her! She does sound like a sweetheart but I'd keep an eye your dd and make sure she's not trying to take advantage of her teacher's willingness to take that extra step for her kids. 

Grade 2 is when our kids started helping us make the weekly menu (it includes lunches). This way they can help us be sure they have the food they will eat and enough for snacks. They are in grades 3 (8) and 4 (10) now and are also responsible for making sure that they are up and ready in time to eat a proper breakfast before they have to get ready for the bus. Maybe your dd would like to try her hand at pacing her mornings and helping with a menu. Some basic responsibilities to get her jazzed about being a big kid smile mini

RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 4:56 PM

My little kids thankfully are never a problem getting up. Now my dd16? If I don't wake her at least 3 times each morning she isn't getting. My dad and dh are just as bad. Makes me crazy! Little kids will sometimes get up early and just start doing what they need to. Plus the little goof ball did have time for breakfast, she had a bowl of cereal. She also has time to eat breakfast at school if she chooses, which she often does. 

Quoting PrincessAsmommy:

Gotta love when your kid gets a teacher that loves them as much as they love her! She does sound like a sweetheart but I'd keep an eye your dd and make sure she's not trying to take advantage of her teacher's willingness to take that extra step for her kids. 

Grade 2 is when our kids started helping us make the weekly menu (it includes lunches). This way they can help us be sure they have the food they will eat and enough for snacks. They are in grades 3 (8) and 4 (10) now and are also responsible for making sure that they are up and ready in time to eat a proper breakfast before they have to get ready for the bus. Maybe your dd would like to try her hand at pacing her mornings and helping with a menu. Some basic responsibilities to get her jazzed about being a big kid smile mini

PrincessAsmommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 7:32 PM

LOL our 10yr old is a pill about getting up too!  Sounds like you have a crafty young lady on your hands. Maybe just remind her that her teacher does this because she loves her students and that it's not a good thing to lie just so she'll get special favours.

Quoting RaeMarie:

My little kids thankfully are never a problem getting up. Now my dd16? If I don't wake her at least 3 times each morning she isn't getting. My dad and dh are just as bad. Makes me crazy! Little kids will sometimes get up early and just start doing what they need to. Plus the little goof ball did have time for breakfast, she had a bowl of cereal. She also has time to eat breakfast at school if she chooses, which she often does. 

Quoting PrincessAsmommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)