Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IS this level of drama normal?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:20 PM
  • 8 Replies

So these year my kids are 6 and 7 and I have been experiencing drama almost every day for different reasons. my daughter and her friends ....my son and his misbehaviour in class (he was finally sent to a therapist because he cannot finish work and he cannot be quiet in school )

Now again my daughter is told of for not paying attention to the teachers in class....

My son will be in the 7th cloud and never do as told when we need him to do stuff...

I am so done with everything....everyday we have talks....warnings...punishments (or not)

we have tried praising them when they do good or giving them presents or benefits like cinema, tv or table ttime...

But there is ALWAYS drama....maybe it is me and my husband who are way too sensitive or something...we shouldnt pay that much attention...or idk'

How do other parents deal with all this?

I feel Im not helping my kids enough...I dont have the energy to do it....sometimes idk how...

I will go see if I can find my son a therapist...

I will see what I can do for my daughter....

I have been having fights with my husband because of this

for examle he blames me because he says I give too much attention to her friends problems ...I think it is aknoledge....and I dont think it would be ok to just ignore them....

so idk....guys...Im so dead...so tired....Im not living happily right now... seems like everything's black...add money problems to that.... and we have a combo

by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry I can't offer any real advice. The only one of my kids I have issues with is my teen. My ds9 can be a real drama queen but not like what you describe. With him little things, like being asked to put a jacket on to go outside, are the end of the world. Of course he also is a type 1 diabetic and jacked up sugars can cause him to be overly emotional. Sadly, I deal with 3 people in my house like that. 

When my littles have issues with peers they just walk away. If a friend isn't being very nice they just tell them they don't want to play with them if they are mean and find another friend or come home. Neither of my littles lets friend things bother them. 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

With my dd and the friend drama, I try to stay out of it now. I would step in when she was younger, but it was when she was about 7 that I started stepping back. I listen to her talk about, and may offer a little advice if I feel it's warranted, but mostly let her figure out how to deal with it on her own.

Have you considered having your son evaluated for ADHD? That makes it very difficult for kids to control their impulses (both movement and in talking) and to concentrate for long on things (unless they are really interested in what they are doing- then it can be hard to get their attention because they are super-focused).

All of the issues with both kids can take a toll on a marriage. Take the time to have a date night every now and then with your husband. Some couples have a weekly date nights, while others have one once a month or every couple of months.

happyonislands
by on Apr. 11, 2017 at 3:56 PM

I understand.  You love and care for your children and only wants the best for them.  It seems that the son is receiving help from the therapist and it will take time.  Continue to love and encourage him as well as your daughter.

Also, it's normal to feel overwhelmed, but hang in there.  This too shall pass.

I wish you all the best!

annieland
by Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 4:00 PM

Thank you guys, I have still to find a therapist for him...I am so desperate for my life to clear up a little of all this worries...I guess I just needed to vent...I dont really have any friends to go to, so thanks!

illneverbeold
by Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 4:51 PM

I remember you had another post about your DD's friend issues. It is okay to acknowledge her feelings and give her advice on how to handle the situation, but that's it.

When my DD6 (7 this month) pulls attitude or drama with me, I ignore her until she wants something. Then I tell her she can't have it because I don't like the way she spoke to me. 

annieland
by Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 8:59 PM

Quoting illneverbeold:

I remember you had another post about your DD's friend issues. It is okay to acknowledge her feelings and give her advice on how to handle the situation, but that's it.

When my DD6 (7 this month) pulls attitude or drama with me, I ignore her until she wants something. Then I tell her she can't have it because I don't like the way she spoke to me. 

but my daughter hasnt got any attitude problem towards me...she is just having friends problems at school and it makes me feel really down sometimes...I try not to pay attention to what is going on but I want her to think right, to be strong and sometimes it worries me that stronger girls will lead her to a bad path...

SeanandNoahsmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2017 at 2:07 AM
I am sorry you are struggling right now. I wanted to encourage you to have your son tested for ADHD, as that makes it difficult for him to control his impulses, and be focused, like another mom replied above. Good luck!
illneverbeold
by Member on Apr. 12, 2017 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this

You need to allow her to deal with the issues and just give her advice on the best steps to take. If you get involved, her skin will never thicken and she won't develop those skills to deal with difficult situations.

Quoting annieland:

Quoting illneverbeold:

but my daughter hasnt got any attitude problem towards me...she is just having friends problems at school and it makes me feel really down sometimes...I try not to pay attention to what is going on but I want her to think right, to be strong and sometimes it worries me that stronger girls will lead her to a bad path...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)