Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not Doing Room Parent EVER AGAIN!

Posted by on May. 26, 2017 at 8:39 PM
  • 12 Replies

I have said this for 11 years now.  You would think I would have learned how to say no by now.  

Oof!

by on May. 26, 2017 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angela.barlow
by Member on May. 27, 2017 at 12:16 PM
I skipped her kindy year. But I still sent items and snacks.

I did more volunteer stuff for the teacher. Prepping projects and working on student profile notebooks.

Not sure about 17/18.

She'll be a fist grader and I'll have a kiddo in Special Ed pre-k.

My pre- k kid would probably freak if I were to be at school.

So I may be more hands on in class with dd this year.
1210maggie
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2017 at 3:58 PM

This is my 2nd and final time. The drama is unbelievable, I'm tired of it all, I'm  done. 

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2017 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, I took the year off. Been doing it for a long time and for 2 years was it for both kids at the same time (and both teachers were pregnant so I had to baby showers that year). DD asked me to be it this year but I just had to say no and walk away. I was burned out.
OhSara87
by Member on May. 27, 2017 at 4:02 PM
I'm going to be more involved with PTO this upcoming year.

We moved mid year to our new school district and love it. Looking forward to next school year.

I will have a 2nd grader, 3 yr old and a newborn come around Labor day
coleysmama
by Member on May. 27, 2017 at 4:06 PM
4 years in a row for me and I'm already down for next year.
Tiring but the one pro is that only the class parent is allowed at class celebrations and activities.
PrincessAsmommy
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2017 at 9:10 PM

Our teachers don't seen to use their classroom parents in quite the same way. All we have to do is help during events when they need extra hands in the classroom, chaperone field trips, and are responsible for the class basket in the Fun Night silent auction. Beyond that we arrange the year end class gift from the kids for the teacher (if we decide to do one). They've never asked us to help with grading or lesson and project prep unless we're a guest presenter for something.

Little.monkey8
by on May. 28, 2017 at 4:58 AM
1 mom liked this
No one could pay me enough to ever volunteer in my children's classes. Not because of my kids but because of other people's kids. I can't stand being around other people's children.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 29, 2017 at 4:09 PM

I spent a few years volunteering the classrooms. Luckily, it mostly involved hanging out in the workroom making copies or cutting out stuff. I enjoyed helping in the library much more.

LoriAnn87
by LoriAnn on May. 30, 2017 at 9:47 AM

For years I wasn't able to be room parent cause of my youngest son but once he started preschool I decide to sign up and be a room parent for my oldest son class since this his last year at this school. I was so excited to be able to join in and plan parties but that never happen at all because the other room parent decide to take over everything and not include anyone in any of the plans for the classroom. So next year when my oldest son goes to his new school I will not be signing up.

heybooboo
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2017 at 10:30 AM

This was my biggest issue this year.  But I didn't even have a co-room parent.  Most of the parents just did as they pleased, regardless of my efforts.  It was frustrating to put so much time and effort to keep things organized and functional, just for other parents to come in and do what they wanted regardless.

Quoting LoriAnn87:

For years I wasn't able to be room parent cause of my youngest son but once he started preschool I decide to sign up and be a room parent for my oldest son class since this his last year at this school. I was so excited to be able to join in and plan parties but that never happen at all because the other room parent decide to take over everything and not include anyone in any of the plans for the classroom. So next year when my oldest son goes to his new school I will not be signing up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)