Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How soon is too soon to start developing?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2017 at 1:51 PM
  • 26 Replies

My DD1, (just turned 9 y/o) started gaining weight  about a year or 2 ago pretty rapidly. She's not "fat" by any means, but she's on the husky side. It started looking like she was developing little boobs. I took her to the doctor about a year ago to see if she was in fact developing, or if it was just weight. (Growing up, my brother went through phases of chunky, then he'd shoot up tall and get skinny and then he'd get chunky again before another growth spurt. I figured this is what she's going through but we're waiting or her to shoot up tall). The doc determined it was just her weight, and didn't stress it, but started mentioning eating healthy foods (which she does, but sometimes she's just a bottomless pit! Always hungry! Again, I figured just before a growth spurt!), and getting excercise. She HATES sports, but she loves to swim and jump on the trampoline. So we've been encouraging that. 

Anyway, since the doc said her little boobies was just her weight, I haven't worried too much about puberty starting. Then last week I  noticed she has sprouted her first armpit hair. Just one hair, about 1/4" long, and black despite her blond hair, and there's one in each armpit. Not sure what to make of this, but I know this is the beginning of SOMETHING.

She just got out of the shower, and she told me she is starting to see hair "down there". 

Uh oh. 

I checked and sure enough, there is some fuzz but definitely something more than fuzz going on, ever so slightly. She JUST turned 9 in May. I plan on calling the doc Monday, but is this normal?? I didn't start developing until I was about 11 or 12!

by on Jun. 17, 2017 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, it's perfectly normal. Some kids mature earlier than others. Even though she's sprouting hair in new places, doesn't mean she'll start her period anytime soon though. Just reinforce good hygiene habits.

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this
She is starting puberty. DS started at 10 but didn't really hit heavy puberty until about 13. DD hit it around 9 and it was much faster for her. Everyone is different and you can't do anything about it, just go along for the ride.
PrincessAsmommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Yup perfectly normal and time to make sure you're both ready for that first period and all that comes with puberty!  It may still take some time arriving but pubic hair is a definite sign it's impending. When did you start your period? Most girls start at the same age the other women in their family did (it's 11 in my family). But sometimes a girl starts early. As long as she's eating healthy, trying to be active and learning to care for her changing body she'll be ok.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jun. 17, 2017 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

First, take a deep breath and exhale. 

At 9, some girls are already having their periods. Growing hair in her pubic area and armpits is quite normal.. developing breasts at this age is also normal. 

My 11 year old started wearing sports bras when she was 8. She is wearing regular bras now, has her period, and shaves her legs. I don't know about any other hair as she has never told me. 

My 8 year old ( 9 in 6 weeks or so) is now wearing sports bras, shaving her legs at her request,  and growing pubic hair ( seen with my own eyes when she changed in front of me)...

I didn't start puberty until I was about 12 so I"m just going with the flow at this point. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 2:55 PM

Ds1 started getting underarm hair (his first sign of puberty) when he was not-quite-10.

Ds2 has hit puberty by starting with a broadening of his shoulders first (he was about 11 when dh noticed that).

Dd, now 11, started having to wear a sports bra when she was 9 1/2. Pubic hair started showing up when she was 10- 10 1/2, and underarm hair shortly after that hair started.

Kids start puberty at all different ages (but usually eariler than we did), and things happen in different orders. 9 is not too young for it to start.

ljmom24
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 3:33 PM
My sister was 8 and I was 11 when we started our periods. My neice was 10.
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 3:56 PM

My Dd is 11.5. She started budding between 9 and 10 and is now getting actual breasts, underarm and pubic hair. She is also growing rapidly so I am guessing we have about 3-6 months before her cycle starts. The women in my family all start between 11.5 and 12.5. 

othermom
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 5:29 PM

Yes it is normal to start around then for some kids. My oldest did. My youngest is only 7 and hasn't yet.

Joelskatysmom
by on Jun. 17, 2017 at 8:23 PM

Yeah, it seems like kids are developing younger and younger. My ds is 12, and it seems like the only thing growing on him is his feet! He's in a mens size 10 1/2 shoe. And he started having to wear deoderant in the 2nd grade. At first, I figured the deoderant thing was because of him being chuncky. But I found out a few month later that at least half the kids in his class needed deoderant. Then, along comes dd (who's now 9 and finished 3rd grade). She finished 2nd grade, and was showing no sign of needing deoderant yet. A few months into 3rd grade, she starts asking when she could start using deoderant...even though she wasn't stinky. I finally decided that it wouldn't hurt anything to let her get into the habit of using it. The only thing I won't give into is letting her shave. 

Khooks
by Jessica on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:50 PM
9 and after is normal. Our endo would give shots to delay puberty before 9.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)