Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is a snake a dangerous pet?

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:39 AM
  • 28 Replies

After many years of pushing back I decided to let my 11 year old son get a ball python.  We adopted him from a shelter so he is full grown and very used to being handled.  I posted a picture on Facebook and got a lot of comments about it being cool and a few about people being scared of snakes, but one 'friend' in particular had a real issue with it and made some not so nice comments, accusing me of giving in to whatever my child wanted (comparing it to him wanting 100 chocolate bars which you wouldn't let him have because it's not good for him) and then comparing it to letting my child play with a butcher knife.  I thought she was being ridiculous and I defended myself in the comments, and other friends of mine also saw she was attacking me and came to my defense.  Then I got a message from that person saying she unfriended me.  She brought up prior posts I had made about my son's behavior as examples of how he is not responsible enough to have such a dangerous animal and implied that I am putting my children at risk.  This is a non-venomous snake and he is full grown at under 4 feet long.  Yes he can contstrict but he is never handled without permission and supervision and I know I could overpower him if it came down to it.  I just think it is silly to unfriend someone over this.  She has always been one of those better than everyone moms though so I suppose I should be surprised it didn't happen sooner.  Basically we all do what we think is best for our children and none of us are in a position to judge someone else's choices.  My son loves this snake and is happy as can be and that's really all I care about.

Meet Ivan :)

by on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I would never have a dangerous animal as a "pet", but it's your house and your kid.  Be prepared, however, for kids to not be allowed to visit your home because of the python.  You may think it's not dangerous, but that's not how a rather large portion of the population feels.

lwalker270
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't have a snake in my house as a pet, but not everyone is me.

inmybizz
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:54 AM

One of the reason I don't mess around with face book too much drama. If you are confident with your decision to get your child a snake don't worry about what others have to say- they don't pay bills in your house and you don't own anyone an explanation or provide a defense. Besides, it's a ball python not a cobra.

Curlymom234
by Meg on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:57 AM
I don't see a big deal with it. We'd never have a snake because DH is afraid of them. 🙄
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 12:02 PM

As a fellow ball python owner, that person is a dipshit and you're better off without someone that stupid in your life. Be thankful they got rid of themselves. Snakes are awesome.

That snake is less dangerous than most pets. Yes it's a constrictor variety snake but even full grown it's not a threat to anything in your house that is larger than a rat.  I love pets and think everyone should have pets, all of them carry some inherent risks but only snakes ever seem to get any shit for it. IMO a hamster is a more dangerous pet, those little bastards bite constantly, those bites can get infected. Hell a couple years back in this area some kid was bit by his pet rat and DIED, no one is freaking out about the dangers of owning rodents though. :-P

Tell him to enjoy his cool pet!

Here's my danger noodle Nagini, he's full grown at 3 1/2ft long. :) 

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 12:18 PM

So you don't have any pets right? Any pet can be dangerous, and the more common pets that everyone is cool with tend to have bigger risks.

Dogs and cats can bite and scratch. Cats can carry and transmit cat scratch fever and toxoplasmosis. Dogs can knock a kid over and injure them or drag them while being walked. Hell people die from dog bites every year but you wouldn't think twice before sending your kid into a house with a dog. You can get Rat Bite Fever from rodents (not just rats) that can be fatal. Turtles, amphibians, and lizards can carry and transmit salmonella. There's even some pretty nasty crap in fish tanks.

If I listed all my pets in order from most dangerous to least, the snake would be at the bottom of that list. I've also never had any problem with someone letting their kid come to my house. Usually parent drops kid off and goes "OMG YOU HAVE A SNAKE!?!?!?? That's so cool!!!!" And then they spend an extra 20 minutes there holding said snake and talking to him in baby voice. Even people that are scared of snakes are at least interested in seeing him out of his tank while me, DH, or one of the kids hold him.

The dangerous pet snakes are the big ass Burmese Pythons that gets to over 100lbs. A ball python gets nowhere near that. Mine is full grown 3 1/2ft long, weighs 10lbs, and at his thickest is maybe 8" around. He's not a threat to anything that isn't a frozen mouse. He's not a threat to my pet mouse.

Quoting mjande4:

I would never have a dangerous animal as a "pet", but it's your house and your kid.  Be prepared, however, for kids to not be allowed to visit your home because of the python.  You may think it's not dangerous, but that's not how a rather large portion of the population feels.

mandalyn74
by Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 12:41 PM

Ours is named Ivan and he is about the same size.  I added pictures to my original post :)

Quoting mom2jessnky:

As a fellow ball python owner, that person is a dipshit and you're better off without someone that stupid in your life. Be thankful they got rid of themselves. Snakes are awesome.

That snake is less dangerous than most pets. Yes it's a constrictor variety snake but even full grown it's not a threat to anything in your house that is larger than a rat.  I love pets and think everyone should have pets, all of them carry some inherent risks but only snakes ever seem to get any shit for it. IMO a hamster is a more dangerous pet, those little bastards bite constantly, those bites can get infected. Hell a couple years back in this area some kid was bit by his pet rat and DIED, no one is freaking out about the dangers of owning rodents though. :-P

Tell him to enjoy his cool pet!

Here's my danger noodle Nagin, he's full grown at 3 1/2ft long. :) 

2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 12:56 PM

EH, live is too short to associate with people like that. DD has always realy wanted a snake but I don't care for repitles. Not because I think they are dangerous just because I like fur. LOL

I am sure your family will love it.

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh good God, my worst fear in life.  It would be me or the snake no way in hell would I have one in my home and still be sane.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 1:28 PM

What's your problem!? The OP asked if we thought it was a dangerous pet and I answered. I also said it was her house to have said "pet" in.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

So you don't have any pets right? Any pet can be dangerous, and the more common pets that everyone is cool with tend to have bigger risks.

Dogs and cats can bite and scratch. Cats can carry and transmit cat scratch fever and toxoplasmosis. Dogs can knock a kid over and injure them or drag them while being walked. Hell people die from dog bites every year but you wouldn't think twice before sending your kid into a house with a dog. You can get Rat Bite Fever from rodents (not just rats) that can be fatal. Turtles, amphibians, and lizards can carry and transmit salmonella. There's even some pretty nasty crap in fish tanks.

If I listed all my pets in order from most dangerous to least, the snake would be at the bottom of that list. I've also never had any problem with someone letting their kid come to my house. Usually parent drops kid off and goes "OMG YOU HAVE A SNAKE!?!?!?? That's so cool!!!!" And then they spend an extra 20 minutes there holding said snake and talking to him in baby voice. Even people that are scared of snakes are at least interested in seeing him out of his tank while me, DH, or one of the kids hold him.

The dangerous pet snakes are the big ass Burmese Pythons that gets to over 100lbs. A ball python gets nowhere near that. Mine is full grown 3 1/2ft long, weighs 10lbs, and at his thickest is maybe 8" around. He's not a threat to anything that isn't a frozen mouse. He's not a threat to my pet mouse.

Quoting mjande4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)