Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher Supplies

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 12:03 PM
  • 11 Replies

This is the first year that the kids school supply list has not included any supplies for the teacher. Normally there are red pens, highlighters, copy paper, post-its and sharpies. The usually kleenex, hand sanitizer, clorox wipes, and ziploc bags are on there for the class use. TBH I never buy those items. I send in other stuff like card stock throughout the year instead. I think the teachers have to spend way too much out of pocket for the classroom. 

by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 2:35 PM

I buy what the list askes for and will send in other stuff though out the year as needed

blapier
by Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:09 PM
My daughter will be going into 1st grade and the list they gave out isn't "mandatory" but you can buy if you choose. There's only maybe 7 items on it, which are all pretty basic (pencil box, 24 count crayons, dry erase markers, etc) so we will be buying them just to help the teacher out. I have a couple friends who are teachers so I know how hard it is for them.
inmybizz
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:13 PM
I buy everything on the list and extra.
RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 8:51 PM

My husband used to be a janitor. At the end of the year there were always dozens and dozens of of kleenex, hand sanitizer, hand wipes and clorox wipes left over. At our current school I know that each class gives one of each to every specialty class like gym and remedial reading. I always sent in the teacher supplies like the red pens. 

Quoting othermom:

I buy what the list askes for and will send in other stuff though out the year as needed

mommy31210
by Member on Aug. 5, 2017 at 1:38 AM
You are lucky then. At the school I went to growing up there was never enough of these items sadly. :/ It is always amazing to me the differances between diff schools.

Quoting RaeMarie:

My husband used to be a janitor. At the end of the year there were always dozens and dozens of of kleenex, hand sanitizer, hand wipes and clorox wipes left over. At our current school I know that each class gives one of each to every specialty class like gym and remedial reading. I always sent in the teacher supplies like the red pens. 

Quoting othermom:

PrincessAsmommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2017 at 6:54 PM

Our school has never asked the parents to but supplies for the teacher/classroom. Each teacher sets their own class lists and will so far I've only ever seen extra kleenex that goes into the cupboard for the class (2 or 3 boxes from each kid supplie thru the year). Anything that the teacher needs to buy for their class or their own supplies is reimbursed to them by the district or supplied by the school.

countrymomma81
by Member on Aug. 5, 2017 at 7:48 PM

Red pens, highlighters and dry erase markers were always things my children used, not the teachers. 

And copy paper is for your child. Do you think the teachers just make copies of things for themselves? No. It's for the children....

RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2017 at 9:38 AM

My kids are younger. They did not use the red pens, post its, highlighters  etc. The school gives each class an allowence of white paper which is why I always send in colored cardstock throughout the year. The kids are always bringing home booklets and such with colored paper the teacher has to buy out of pocket. Our schools tend to use workbooks rather than copies for work so that is already paid for. I also volunteer in both of my kids classes and have decent communication with them so I know what they have plenty of and what they are buying out of pocket. Last year I did not purchase the clorox wipes. When one of my kids teachers sent a text via remind that they were running low I sent in 5. At the beginning of the year they have a gazillion to store and space is limited. So I wait and see if they need some. So far the only things they have ever needed more of was glue sticks and dry erase. I always buy about a 100 glue sticks at back to school to have on hand in case. I also purchase each kids supply list times 3 to have extra on hand for later in the year. 

Quoting countrymomma81:

Red pens, highlighters and dry erase markers were always things my children used, not the teachers. 

And copy paper is for your child. Do you think the teachers just make copies of things for themselves? No. It's for the children....

countrymomma81
by Member on Aug. 6, 2017 at 1:59 PM

That's fantastic that you do all of that. I'm sure it goes a long way towards showing your children's teacher that you apprecaite them. 

Starting from 1st grade our children used red pens to grade their test papers so I understand why they were needed. I've never had to buy Post It notes but I do have to buy plenty of highlighters. Mostly because my son goes to a private school so the books he gets are his to keep so he can write and highlight in them. 

Our schools almost never use colored paper, only white.

Quoting RaeMarie:

My kids are younger. They did not use the red pens, post its, highlighters  etc. The school gives each class an allowence of white paper which is why I always send in colored cardstock throughout the year. The kids are always bringing home booklets and such with colored paper the teacher has to buy out of pocket. Our schools tend to use workbooks rather than copies for work so that is already paid for. I also volunteer in both of my kids classes and have decent communication with them so I know what they have plenty of and what they are buying out of pocket. Last year I did not purchase the clorox wipes. When one of my kids teachers sent a text via remind that they were running low I sent in 5. At the beginning of the year they have a gazillion to store and space is limited. So I wait and see if they need some. So far the only things they have ever needed more of was glue sticks and dry erase. I always buy about a 100 glue sticks at back to school to have on hand in case. I also purchase each kids supply list times 3 to have extra on hand for later in the year. 

Quoting countrymomma81:

awelling
by Member on Aug. 6, 2017 at 2:01 PM
I buy exactly what the list says.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)