Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Walking over a mile to school?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2017 at 11:10 PM
  • 15 Replies
How far do you feel is too far to walk (accompanied with a parent) to school?

We live a little over 1.25 miles, so I was debating about walking with them when the weather allows. They are obviously not enthused with idea. I think it is a great way to get some exercise!
by on Aug. 17, 2017 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 7:02 AM
We live just under a mile from the school we go to now, and we discovered that walking to school in the morning wasn't for us. The children were tired and usually sweaty and irritable by the time we made it to school. We would walk home in the afternoon so they could burn off some energy and take a little break but I would drive them in the morning. If you decide to walk both morning and afternoon, make sure to time it with your kids. It only took me 15 minutes, casually walking, to make it to the school by myself, but add kids, and it was easy 25 minutes. Best of luck with what you decide!
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 8:05 AM
Ds is 12 and walks it by himself the days I can't drive him. The school is about a mile away
Marti123
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 8:42 AM
Yes, we have walked it several times this summer. It was a 30 minute walk to school about 20 minutes then back home for me.

I do worry they will be sweaty.

Quoting JulesFairy: We live just under a mile from the school we go to now, and we discovered that walking to school in the morning wasn't for us. The children were tired and usually sweaty and irritable by the time we made it to school. We would walk home in the afternoon so they could burn off some energy and take a little break but I would drive them in the morning. If you decide to walk both morning and afternoon, make sure to time it with your kids. It only took me 15 minutes, casually walking, to make it to the school by myself, but add kids, and it was easy 25 minutes. Best of luck with what you decide!
jamianne
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 10:48 AM

When we were in NY it was about .6 miles to the school.  I only drove when it was raining or extremely hot or cold; otherwise we walked every day.   

Where we are now it's about 1.3 miles just to the bus stop.  We're on a private road so if they want to walk we probably will.  DS can walk by himself.  I'll still go with dd.  

GwenMB
by Gwen on Aug. 18, 2017 at 1:06 PM

It would depend on whether the kids can get going early enough to walk that distance & be on time.

It would be a great way to get exercise!

2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 1:07 PM

We would definitely be walking weather permitting.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 3:48 PM

I lived .7 miles from one of the elementaries I attended, and my sister and I walked both to and from unless it was raining or too cold/nasty out (those times our mom drove us).

Marti123
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 4:50 PM
So this is almost double the distance.

Quoting wakymom:

I lived .7 miles from one of the elementaries I attended, and my sister and I walked both to and from unless it was raining or too cold/nasty out (those times our mom drove us).

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 4:51 PM

I do not think that is far. 

MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 5:02 PM
I used to walk my kids 1.5 milles to school when it wasn't super rainy and the sidewalks were clear in the winter. We just love walking though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)