Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2017 at 12:37 PM
Meg
  • 32 Replies

Did you allow your kids to go to the bus stop without you? Ours is at the end of the driveway and DS asks me all the time to stay in the house. He's in first grade and we're the first house in the neighborhood.... so I don't feel super comfortable with that considering we live off a busy street. 

Or if your kids don't ride the bus, why not? 

by on Sep. 13, 2017 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emarin77
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

My son starts this year in 4th grade.  The bus will be right in front of the apartment we live in.

sarahfire
by Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

We live 3 blocks from the Elementary, Middle, and High School so buses do not run this close to the schools. I usually drop all 3 kids off in the morning and the older 2 walk home, I pick up my 1st Grader. (Can't let a 6 yr old walk home alone)

mrsniebo
by Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this
My almost 7 year old walks 1/4 mile to the bus stop. I walked with her (and her younger siblings) all of the last school year and feel she understands how to get to and from the bus safely.
Khooks
by Jessica on Sep. 13, 2017 at 4:31 PM
Our school requires you to be in second grade. My son is in second but I still go. Maybe third or fourth.

And I drive him in the mornings because the extra 20mins of sleep does make a difference lol.
Jesser215
by New Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 4:37 PM
It's just right outside your house? I'd let my son wait without me in kindergarten if he wanted me to stay in. My son is in 4th and will walk to and from school by himself a couple times a wk. Goes to the gas station with his friends on bikes etc. I don't see an issue unless u live on a very busy Rd or scary neighborhood
Domermom2026
by Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 4:45 PM

Our bus stop is at the end of our cul-de-sac. My kids have been going down to the bus stop by themselves for a couple of years now (they are in 3rd and 4th). I can stand in my driveway and see them through my neighbors trees. I usually go down with them in the mornings but if I don't they are ok. I never go down after school. They walk up to the house and that's never been an issue.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 6:32 PM

The bus stop has always been on the corner, one house down from us. Ds1 was in either 2nd or 3rd gr when I started letting him go alone. With ds2 and dd, the elementary driver was awesome and picked them up in front of our house since it was so close to the official stop, so they got to go out alone in 1st gr, with me watching from the window.

LaughCryLive
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 6:34 PM
I'd allow my child to walk down to the end of the drive without me.
belle2780
by Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 6:35 PM
The bus stops right in front of our house. I still wait with my daughter because her bus is at 7 and in winter it's dark out still. She is 3rd grade. My 4th grader goes at 8 am and sometimes he will ask me to wait but I still watch from the door even on the days he wants to wait alone.
Journey2themoon
by Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 6:47 PM
My son is in grade one, first time taking the bus. I don't know when I would. Our bus stops on the main street off the cul de sac and we are in the back part of it. We will see how this yr goes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)