Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2017 at 11:29 AM
  • 22 Replies
Today is my daughters 10th birthday, I didn't even think about starting her period anytime soon because I was 14 when I started mine. but after reading on here the ages of some of your daughters I want to prepare her for what's to come.

I need advice on how to talk to her and get her ready for when we do start seeing signs of her period. What is the best was to approach it? Thank in advance:)
by on Sep. 18, 2017 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2017 at 11:48 AM
Happy birthday to your daughter!!

My daughter also turns 10 this year.

I have checked out books from the library. They have books along the lines of "caring for you" and the period book is another.
Not the exact titles...but they have been so helpful!!

She just asked me to check them out again for her.

So crazy to think that this cpuld be around the corner soon😲😲😲
Reese2010727
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2017 at 12:34 PM
Happy birthday to her!

Here's a bump for you because I have no clue!
MadeFlawless
by Member on Sep. 18, 2017 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I used books with my oldest daughter. I found a really good one at FiveBelow. My youngest turns 10 next month. I plan on buying her the same book, if it's still there. They make My First Period kits that you can buy. I just bought a box of smaller pads and kept them in the bathroom closet, just in case. I tell them to come to me with any questions about their changing bodies.

BTW Happy 10th Birthday to your daughter!
mcginnisc
by Claire on Sep. 18, 2017 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Awww.. Happy Birthday to her! 

I talked to my almost 12 year old when she was 7.5. I bought The Body Book and we went through it together. I wanted her to be prepared as she is adopted and I had nothing to go by as far as when she might start. She didn't start until a year ago after she turned 11. She was well prepared. She did come to me when she started and told me she wanted different pads so we went to the store. My youngest is 9 and has not started her period although she has started puberty. We have discussed periods so she is prepared as well. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2017 at 5:38 PM

I used to be a bookseller. Hands down the best book you can get for her is "the care and keeping of you" which is part of the American Girls books. I think I paid $12.95 for ours. My youngest has already shown some interest in the book since my oldest left it on the bookshelf. Great way to break the ice on that topic.

PrincessAsmommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2017 at 7:32 PM

Happy Birthday to your dd!!

We started talking about body stuff a while ago with both kids so as they've grown up the conversations have changed to answering questions and giving facts at the level they are at and then just being really consistant in my responses and just being there for them. I love the American Girl books that they made specifically for tweens! The Care and Keeping of You (1 and 2). The Feelings Book, and the AMA's book Girl's Guide to becoming A Teen are excellent and are all written for the tween set. I also use www.KidsHealth.org as an online tool. It's a great site that split up for use by parents, kids and teens and answers pretty close to any question you can come up with.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 18, 2017 at 8:35 PM

I gave dd the American Girl book The Care and Keeping of You for her 7th birthday, but we had been having period talks starting when she was 4. She had followed me into the bathroom when I had to change a tampon and asked why my pee was red. I gave her an extremely basic explanation then, and have given her more detailed info as she has gotten older.

2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 3:15 PM

We also have been discussing it all along and DD has read the care and keeping of you book. I don't think dd, also 10, will start any time soon though.

MissyB2275
by Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 3:37 PM

My DD and I have discussed the period issue and her changing body for years now.  I was 10 1/2 yrs old when I got my 1st period so I have been preparing my daughter with what to expect and all of that for awhile now.  I am hoping she doesn't start as early as I did but we are prepared if she were to.  When I started I didn't know what was going on as my mother never talked to me or mentioned anything about it at all and they didn't have the school nurse do the puberty talk with the girls at school until the 6th grade and I started in the 5th grade so I was scared when I first got mine.  My mom got embarrassed or whatever talking about those types of things.  Thank God my Aunt was amazing.  She took me to the store and we bought pads and I stayed overnight with her and she talked with me. 

mom22Feb
by on Sep. 19, 2017 at 11:29 PM

My young adult daughters confirmed with me that indeed "The Care and Keeping Of You" is a great book to explain about puberty. Keep the communication open and relaxed and celebrate her entrance into being a young woman when it happens.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)