Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Detention notification

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 1:33 PM
  • 20 Replies

My son is in the 6th grade.  His school is next to the high school where I work.  Four days a week he walks over to my classroom after school and one day his sister will pick him up because it's early out and teachers have meetings.  

One day, he didn't show when he was supposed to.  He has ADHD and he will act on an impulse and walk for whatever reason.  I thought he did.  So, I left and went looking for him.  I didn't find him so I came back to the school, and sure enough, I saw him walking to the high school.  He couldn't hear me yell because the cross country team was outside.  I had to hurry in (which is a task now since I was in an accident two weeks ago and hurt my knee).  When asked, he said he had detention.  So I emailed his teachers the next day asking them to email me when he has detention.  I work another job and there are some days I have to be there at 4 so I make other arrangements if my daughter can't pick him up as she has a job too.  If his ride doesn't have to be there till 15 or 30 minutes later, then I like to tell them that.  Also helps me know if I need to wait around or go looking for him.  I had a read receipt and all his teachers had read it.  Well, Friday, he doesn't show.  I have errands to get done and have to be at the football field by 5 to take tickets for the game.  I also need to get off my leg and put it up.  I start to take off and just as I'm coming out of the parking lot between the schools, I see him.   He said he had detention for his Social Studies class.  

Why is it so hard to do what a parent requests?  As a teacher myself, I make sure I do what the parents ask, I respond to emails right away whereas some others don't.  I think it's just more professional when one does.  The teacher knew when he had my son in class that morning that he was going to have detention so it wasn't like it happened right before school got out.  And even so, it takes 2 minutes to send an email and probably less than that.

Am I wrong to send another email to this teacher?  Not a mad one, not bringing up the incident, just to make sure he knew that I had requested an email when my son gets detention?

by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PrincessAsmommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:38 PM

I would go and talk to him in person since your email didn't seem to make a diference to him. With your schools next to each other it shouldn't be a big deal to take a few minutes at lunch or during a spare period and get it cleared up. But yeah you need to get things cleared up with his teachers and make sure you are all on the same page in regards to detention notifications.

TheMommyTaxi
by Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 7:10 PM

Shouldn't it be your son's responsibility to tell you he has a detention?  The school where I work doesn't assign same day detentions, they are either afterschool on Wednesdays or Thursday morning ams, so parents can work stuff like this out..

anotherandree
by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know what grade you teach but my husband is a MS/HS media teacher and he has 180 kids (30 students x 6 classes a day) that rotate in and out all day. I know that he makes a point to email but sometimes if detention is given at the beginning of class, he may assign it in the computer and move on with his day.

However, as a parent of a 7th and 9th grader, I would expect HER/HIM to tell me, not the teacher. In fact, I'd be furious to find out from the teacher before my child. At 12, I feel kids are old enough to start taking responsibility for their own actions bc they are going to be in the real world soon.

Short answer, no, do not email the teacher anymore.
aetrom
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 12:55 AM
Why not get him a cheap burner phone and have himmessage you?
STVUstudent
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 10:12 AM
2 moms liked this

the bigger issue is that your son keeps getting detention.  Is this same day detention or is it assigned in advance?  Our school could not do same day detentions because of transportation- they do lunch detentions and recess detentions.

Khooks
by Jessica on Sep. 26, 2017 at 12:05 PM
If these are same day detentions you need to talk to the school. I’ve only heard of assigned detentions and lunch/free period detentions.
RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 12:21 PM

I am surprised you aren't notified of detention. Every school I have ever dealt with not only notifies the parents (so parents are aware and can follow up) but they also never schedule it for the same day. I would be ticked as a parent if I didn't know where my child was or why they were late coming home. What if I needed to run errands or something? 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

This.  In my opinion you are concerned about the wrong thing.

Quoting STVUstudent:

the bigger issue is that your son keeps getting detention.  Is this same day detention or is it assigned in advance?  Our school could not do same day detentions because of transportation- they do lunch detentions and recess detentions.

soymujer
by Mikki on Sep. 26, 2017 at 12:53 PM

They have blue folders and if a teacher writes in them, then they get detention for that day.  They don't have the kids contact the parents as the blue folders aren't allowed home.

Quoting TheMommyTaxi:

Shouldn't it be your son's responsibility to tell you he has a detention?  The school where I work doesn't assign same day detentions, they are either afterschool on Wednesdays or Thursday morning ams, so parents can work stuff like this out..

soymujer
by Mikki on Sep. 26, 2017 at 12:55 PM

Which is my point.  

Quoting RaeMarie:

What if I needed to run errands or something? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)