Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cell phones

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 3:49 PM
  • 26 Replies
Anyones kiddos have cell phones? 📱
by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
huskermom98
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:08 PM

Starting to think about one for my 7th grader, but my 4th grader has no need for one any time soon. 

RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:14 PM

My little kids 8 & 9 have these. They can only call and receive calls from the 4 numbers I program in. Gives me a lot of peace of mind. 

ahawkins
by Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:14 PM
My 10 year old has one because she is always at the gym or the ballet studio so she can get a hold of me if she needs to. My 8 year old has a restricted one.
MariannLws
by Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this
No, my 12 year old does not have a cellphone. She doesn’t need one. Like her older siblings she’ll probably get her 1st phone while in high school.
PrincessAsmommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:27 PM

No. At 9 and 11 they have no need for one. Maybe when they change schools after gr 6 and have a much longer bus ride and then it'll only be a very basic, calls only, phone with certain numbers programmed in that they can call or text.

2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:28 PM

No, I don't think it is necessary

mcginnisc
by Claire on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope. We don't allow them until they can do one of 3 things- pay for the phone and bill on their own monthly, have a job or are driving.. the only exception would be if Dh and I decided they absolutely *needed* one and I don't forsee that happening until they are driving. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 7:58 PM

Dd has one that she takes to school only if she's staying after for Drama Club. She also takes it to friends' houses, out on bike rides, and to restaurants to have something to do while waiting for food. She is 11 and in 6th gr.

Until this past Jan, dd and ds2 shared a phone- whoever was staying after school got to take it. That shared one became ds2's when dd got her own for her 11th birthday.

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:02 PM
My four older kids have phones - my two tweens and my two teens. My nine year old doesn't have service on his phone. He watches Netflix, Hulu, Nickelodeon and plays games. He also texts and does FaceTime. My twelve year old watches YouTube, texts, and plays games on his phone.
My teenagers talk, text, and watch videos on their phones.
anotherandree
by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:05 PM
We didn't get the older kids cell phones until they were in middle school. Elementary school is pretty structured with only one teacher, no leaving the building, and such. My elementary schooler used Google Home to call grandparents and such. It's really fun for him!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)