Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christmas eve

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2017 at 11:01 PM
  • 14 Replies
Do you let your kids open a special gift on Christmas Eve?
When I was little I always got pjs Christmas Eve. I continued that tradition for a while, but my son doesn’t wear pjs anymore.

A few years ago I switched to giving them a Christmas book and movie, and then a few snacks for the movie.
But I’m not sure I want to keep adding to the dvds we have.
Since Christmas Eve is a Sunday this year and we will be home all day I thought about getting them a board game, and maybe a gingerbread house to make, something to keep them busy, then I would still probably do a book.

Just wondering what everyone else does, maybe it will give me some better ideas.
by on Nov. 23, 2017 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2017 at 11:13 PM
We’re usually at a family gathering on Christmas Eve, so they are opening up gifts from relatives.

A board game sounds like a good idea.
dolphingurl1286
by Member on Nov. 23, 2017 at 11:15 PM
One time my daughter and I did crafts most of the day on Christ eve. She loved it. She got to make a couple of ornaments and a door hanger.
Khooks
by Jessica on Nov. 24, 2017 at 8:16 AM
We do Christmas Eve gift but it’s different every year. I’ve never done the pjs/movie set because we do that all season. I do like the get them a Christmas ornament that has relevance to their year. This year my daughter is going to get a troll ornament and my oldest a creeper ornament. Then usually a non toy gift. Last year my oldest got the first two illustrated edition Harry Potter books. Previous years he’s gotten a dearth Vader stuffed animal, a handmade blanket, and a cool night light. Haven’t ironed out this year all the way but it could be the Minecraft bedset he’s been wanting or some Bluetooth speakers for his room. My youngest will probably get a talking stuffed animal. I do like the board game idea I might add that in.
mcginnisc
by Claire on Nov. 24, 2017 at 8:20 AM

I started a pj box several years ago for them to open on CE...My mom and husband get a box too. In the box for the girls I normally put pjs, a treat and a movie. My oldest streams now so I'm not putting a movie in her box. I'm going to put a book, a small bag of gourmet popcorn from the popcorn place, pjs and maybe hot chocolate. In my youngests' box I'm putting the pjs, popcorn, pjs and hot chocolate.  Dh and mom will just get the pjs. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 10:34 AM

We don't do much. We typically go to church with my dad. Before bed we read 2 books "The Candymakers Gift" and "Twas the Night Before Christmas." 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2017 at 4:36 PM

We've never given a gift on Christmas Eve. We spend Christmas Eve day finishing wrapping presents and relaxing. We go to Christmas Eve Mass (dd sings in the Christmas choir), then hang stockings and put Baby Jesus in the managers in a couple of our Nativity sets. Dh pulls up the NORAD Santa Tracker and we keep an eye on that for a bit, then the kids are kicked into bed.

inmybizz
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2017 at 4:38 PM

No, everything is opened Christmas day.

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2017 at 4:46 PM
My kids get an ornament ever Christmas Eve to hang on the tree. Sometimes pjs too, depends if I find something I like.
Razzle_Dazzle1
by Member on Nov. 25, 2017 at 5:02 PM

I started something my friend posted where you wrap up 24 books and put them under the tree and then let the kids unwrap one every day in December until Christmas Eve, when we read The Night Before Christmas. They also unwrap their Christmas Eve gifts, which is pajamas and a stuffed animal. We used to include the book before we started doing the books every day. They usually get a movie on Christmas day to watch in between presents and leaving for Grandma's, to keep things busy while I'm cooking breakfast and daddy is opening and putting together toys. Last year, I started giving the two older girls hot chocolate mugs. 

PrincessAsmommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2017 at 6:23 PM

Dh is Danish and one of the Danish Traditions that we have is opening a gift on Christmas Eve (in DK the open all their gifts on Christmas Eve). We did this when I was growing up, here in Canada, too. Usually it's their Christmas jammies but as they grow up we change it up to match their interests and if we're travelling or at home. Last year we were home and they got pjs with a book for dd and a pair of slippers for ds. Haven't decided about this year yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)