Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Xmas plans

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2017 at 6:30 AM
  • 9 Replies
Hello Ladie
What are your plans for xmas?

It's been a rough year but I still want my 9 yr old to enjoy xmas.
I don't want him feel isolated and down
Any ideas I can borrow

by on Dec. 10, 2017 at 6:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
by Claire on Dec. 10, 2017 at 6:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I can tell you some of our traditions. 

We go get our tree the day after we come home from spending Thanksgiving in FL at my mom and inlaws'. We turn on Christmas music and drink coffee or hot chocolate while we decorate the tree and the outside of the house. 

We also have band and choir concerts for the girls that we have to attend every year for music school. 

We go see the Christmas lights at Callaway Gardens outside of Atlanta. It's about 1.5 hours away from us. We've only missed a few years over the last 15 years of going. 

My mom and inlaws come up every year. My mom stays at our house and my inlaws' stay at my BIL's house a few houses away. On Christmas Eve, we go to my BIL's house and have dinner, read from Luke in the Bible and open gifts ( adults draw names and the kids get their gifts from their aunt/uncle and grandparents). Once we come home, the girls get a PJs box to open every year. It has pjs, a couple of small treats and normally a book or movie..I also got my mom and DH a pair this year too. 

On Christmas morning, the evil minions come running into our room shaking bells and yelling Merry Christmas. Dh and I stumble into the kitchen and make coffee before the gift opening begins. After gifts, we get dressed and go to Waffle House for breakfast so we can leave a card with $150 in it for our server. We come home and relax for the rest of the day. 

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

by Jessica on Dec. 10, 2017 at 8:52 AM

Mobile Photo

I like to do a lot of crafts to get in the xmas spirit. Today we’re going to make salt dough ornaments and paint them and give them to a few close family members. It’s pretty cheap and easy. You just need flour salt and water, and if you don’t have paint they sell them for 50¢ each at Walmart. And I lost my cookie cutters this year so I bought a bag for $1. Another craft we’re doing for gifts this year is a little more pricey but it’s nice is homemade coasters. I went to Home Depot and bought tiles for 11¢ each. I got 24 for under $3. Then I went to hobby lobby and got scrapbook paper in different patterns for the people I wanted to give them to and Walmart for mod Podge and pray sealant. These are the ones for his teacher and grandpa. We also get an advent calendar so they can have a piece of chocolate each night counting down to xmas. They have them at aldi for $2. Lots of hot chocolate, candy canes and xmas music. My son likes dubstep music and I found a bunch of dubstep Christmas music on YouTube, he loves it. It really is the little things. Drive around and find tacky lights, try a new recipe, bake Santa cookies, watch movies, be a secret Santa for someone.
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2017 at 10:29 AM

DH just went back to work after being laid off 3 months ago. We are broke. We did some free or near free things this year. Went to see lights, couple of farms have free visit with Santa and his reindeer. We go to local Dickens festival, parade, couple Church’s have Santa and live nativity with hot chocolate and cookies. We do a lot of free stuff or close to free. Make cookies, ginger bread house ($3 from 5 below). 

We try to make it about the experience. 

by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2017 at 6:27 PM

We keep it pretty low-key. We go to church on Christmas Eve. On Christmas morning, the kids do their stockings, we have breakfast, open presents under the tree, and my parents come over for dinner.

by LoriAnn on Dec. 11, 2017 at 9:04 AM

Not sure what we have planned for Christams eve or Christmas day.

by Angel on Dec. 11, 2017 at 2:12 PM
not sure yet.
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2017 at 2:46 PM

We spend every Christmas with my parents. We couldn't afford the trip to their place this year so this year they're surprising the kids and coming to our place.

We start decorating the first days of Dec and the kids get to decorate their own small tree (it was my dad's). On the 1st we start the Advent candle and caledar. Up to this year we had little count down bags that hung on a twine clothes line on the wall that I'd put a treat or activity (written on a piece of paper) in. We've also been doing Elf on the shelf with them so their elf returns on the 1st and hosts a North Pole Breakfast for the kids (this year we ate it for supper since it was a school day). Every Sunday of Advent Alexander (the elf) leaves the kids a little gift in a special basket and we have a family day with a specially planned outing or activity. This year the kids made their own Advent calendar that we fashioned after a pic we saw on Pinterest.

During the month we have the school Christmas concert, the band Christmas concert, dh's union Christmas party (for the families), and a special social at the church. We also like to drive around and check out the different light displays (the paper always has a list of homes and neighbourhoods to see), go to a big display that fills the whole park at our zoo presented by different businesses in the city ,, it's called The Enchanted Forest, go caroling with friends, make crafts, bake and just enjoy lots of time with our friends and family.

Christmas Eve we have a Danish Christmas meal, then we go to church. After church we come home and the kids get to open 1 gift. It's usually their Christmas jammies with a movie or a book and after they change was snuggle by the tree and enjoy hot chocolate and read the book or watch a favorite movie. Then we read the Christmas story from their kids' Bible and they put out their goodies for Santa and the reindeer, say goodbye to Alexander and his pal Pixie and head to bed.

Christmas morning I'm usually the first one up. While I wait for the crazy to decend I light the Advent candle, turn on the tree lights and some music, make coffee and just relax in the glow. After the chaos of gifts the kids return to bed (if they got up early) for a bit. Around mid-morning dh and 1 of the kids make brunch. After that is cleaned up I get the bird in the oven and the kitchen is officially closed to anyone not helping to cook the meal or make a dessert. We eat our feast for supper and while the pots and pans soak we settle in with our coffee and hot chocolate and eat treats while we play a game or watch a movie or just hang out.

Boxing Day is usually another day of fun (if it's not a travel day) on the toboggan hills or we go to a movie at the theatre. Those brave enough will go shopping. 

by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2017 at 5:22 PM

We do an advent calender ($3) and the elf on the shelf (we have 3 total 2 came from Wish). We have family Christmas parties on the 23rd and 24th. On the 25th I host a breakfast for the kids, my mom, and brother.

On Christmas day we are going to see Star Wars and go bowling in the evening.

by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2017 at 11:51 AM

This year we are going to a ski resort with an attached indoor water park for christmas. It will be our family and a friends family.

We will be doing Christmas with the rest of our family on saturday the 30th.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)