Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Making friends outside of school

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2017 at 1:38 PM
  • 15 Replies

My daughter attends school in a different town than where we live, (her daddy is a teacher in the other town school district so we can choose where she goes, and they have a much better school system than the town we can afford to live in now). One of the drawbacks we have learned is that it is hard for her to maintain friendships in the summer and after school. She gives kids her number but she is 7 and I think they get them wrong sometimes or just don't pass on to their parents. 

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can help her get my name and number to their parents so we can plan to meet up?  Does that even work for most folks?

I appreciate any and all suggestions, I just want my daughter to have friends that she can play with.

by on Dec. 12, 2017 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2017 at 3:31 PM

Maybe put the info on a full sheet of paper and have your DD hand out? Does the school have a parent directory?

DD also does not go to out local school and we do not know the neighbor kids. Her friends are from girl scouts and karate and it is hard work to maintain the friendships and get together. Luckily my mom has before and after school and in the summer and is willing to have play dates.

Could you maybe throw some kind of party and invite her friends from school so you can meet some of the parents? Can her teacher pass along your contact info to some of the other moms? 

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2017 at 3:33 PM
2 moms liked this
Put her in local extracurriculars so she can make friends there.
mcginnisc
by Claire on Dec. 12, 2017 at 3:34 PM

Our girls have ipods and can communicate with their friends that way. My girls normally talk about things with their pals and then ask me and I say yes or no...

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2017 at 4:55 PM

This.  The best way is through sports or activities outside of school.

Quoting JasonsMom2007: Put her in local extracurriculars so she can make friends there.

Khooks
by Jessica on Dec. 12, 2017 at 7:21 PM
Our school pto put together a classroom directory this year that’s been great. Also we put him in extra curriculars and that’s been the best outlet.
dearg76
by New Member on Dec. 13, 2017 at 9:37 AM

Thank you all. She is currently in Ballet and making friends with one of the girls who is in that class, we will just have to work harder and I will have to step up and talk with the parents more.

no the school/teacher does not have a parent directory - boy that would be nice. I will fill out some index cards and have her give them to her friends, hopefully we can get that to work. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Curlymom234
by Meg on Dec. 13, 2017 at 1:13 PM

One thing you can do is write a note to the child's parents and have your DD give it to them. I've done that and explained that DS wants to hang out with little Jimmy. Please give me a call or shoot me a text at XXX-XXX-XXXX. 

As for dance, throw a party and invite the whole class. It could be Nutcracker themed or something cute like that. When I was a dancer, we'd do things like that to help build the bond of the dance company.

food_way
by on Dec. 13, 2017 at 5:01 PM

you can also consider the children of your (and your husband's) friends? my girls enjoy playing with our friends' kids

PrincessAsmommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2017 at 6:31 PM

Our kids go to a rural school so only a handfull of the kids are close to where we live. The school makes a directory with email and phone numbers but it's really up to the parents to maintain the contact. Does the school have any activities or events coming up where you can meet the parents and talk to them?  I found that when our kids were that age the best way to get info back and forth to parents was to at least start in person if you can. If you do give your dd the index cards to give to their friends then I'd just shoot the teacher a note and let her know what's up so they don't take the cards away. Lots of schools don't allow for the kids to arrange play dates, etc during school hours.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2017 at 9:39 PM

Before my daughter and her friends had phones, most of them had ipods and they'd communicate that way.  My daughter also has friends from dance so she sees them a lot.  I've looked up people on facebook and messaged them before if I needed to contact someone I didn't have a number for.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)