Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hard Money Lesson

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2017 at 10:05 AM
  • 10 Replies

My 10 year old earned $40 from a family friend by babysitting a few weeks ago. I had encouraged her to put the money up until after Christmas so that she could use it when we go shopping on the 26th. She usually gets gift cards and money from family.

Yesterday her school hosted a Secret Santa Shop. According to my teen, the little one and dad went back and fourth over her taking her $40. In the end he let her take her money since she earned it but warned her that if she spends it all she has to go without when we (mom and dad) won't pay for extras.

So I get home from work and she is showing me everything she bought for herself. I asked if she bought any actual gifts for other people and she stated she bought her best friends matching gifts. (sequin pillows)

This morning she asked for lunch money. Both dh and I do not carry cash and did not have any to give her. We told her she had to pack. She looked devestated. Today is pizza day.

Tonight I am taking her and a friend to Cleveland to see the Shopkins Musical. No clue what it's about, but I know there will likely be souvenirs and goodies that she will want to buy and she won't have money.

My oldest has never been materialistic but this little one likes shopping and buying things. I imagine it's going to be difficult for her tonight.

by on Dec. 15, 2017 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2017 at 2:04 PM
2 moms liked this

What a great lesson though. DD is a cheapskate when it comes to her own money.

Linda_Runs
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2017 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

This was a good lesson.  DD12 had a similar lesson last year.  The thing is that it is so tempting to bail them out!

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Dec. 17, 2017 at 2:06 PM
How did it go at the musical when she couldn’t buy souvenirs?
WonTonFriedTofu
by Member on Dec. 17, 2017 at 2:08 PM
Good parenting right there. It's a teachable moment and she will remember it for many years.
Sydel
by Gold Member on Dec. 17, 2017 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

We took her friend C with us. C's mom runs a business and they are homestead type people. C is very money concious and immediatley announced $20 for a light up wand was incredibly overpriced. She also reminded dd that we ate McDonalds on the drive so there was no need to eat at the show. 

I love C. Dd actually did good, did not pout, did not ask for anything. They had shirts, backpacks, posters, and plushies but she walked passed it all with C.

Quoting diaperstodating: How did it go at the musical when she couldn’t buy souvenirs?

Sydel
by Gold Member on Dec. 17, 2017 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm proud of me! LOL 

Both dd and her friend walked right passed the vendors. Instead they were taken back by the beauty of the theatre and took selfies in front of the 12ft Christmas tree and other displays. Also we had balcony seats sonce once there they had no interest in going back down. 

Quoting Linda_Runs:

This was a good lesson.  DD12 had a similar lesson last year.  The thing is that it is so tempting to bail them out!

Linda_Runs
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2017 at 7:54 AM

You should be proud of yourself.  You are a very good mom!

Quoting Sydel:

I'm proud of me! LOL 

Both dd and her friend walked right passed the vendors. Instead they were taken back by the beauty of the theatre and took selfies in front of the 12ft Christmas tree and other displays. Also we had balcony seats sonce once there they had no interest in going back down. 

Quoting Linda_Runs:

mcginnisc
by Claire on Dec. 18, 2017 at 8:07 AM

Karli is 9 and is horrible at saving money! We are huge savers so when I pay the girls for the month (I'm too lazy to go to the bank every week) I split their money into thirds- spend, save, tithe/charity. They each have a 3 envelope binder to put their money/gift cards into. Karli has been dying for a lego set ( naturally), but I keep reminding her we are going on a cruise the first week of March and if she doesn't have money, too bad. She has over $100 right now..only because I put a buying freeze on them at the end of October until after Christmas. They are not allowed to buy anything until after Christmas so at the end of the year, they save more money since they aren't allowed to spend it. Lilly is saving up for a piccolo and needs $500+ more so she is refusing to spend any of her money. I have a feeling that Karli is going to be BROKE the day after Christmas though. She will learn that lesson yet again when we go on the cruise and she can't buy souvenirs in Haiti or Jamaica since she will have spent all of her money. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Khooks
by Jessica on Dec. 18, 2017 at 9:51 AM
My son announced he wanted to be a secret Santa and sneak gifts to people. I said it was a great idea but once I said he’d have to use his money to buy the gifts it was no longer appealing 😂.
RaeMarie
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2017 at 10:34 AM

My dd16 was awful with money at that age. If she didn't immediately spend it she would lose it. Now she is a tightwad and only spends it on solid things, like diapers. DS9 can't stand to have money and not spend it asap and when we shop he spends every last penny. DD8 is a saver. She likes to spend but if she has $90 and shops she will buy the first thing that she likes, even if it is only $5 and she is happy. She is the one who is going to support me in my old age! LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)