Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I could never be an elementary teacher and this is why.

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2017 at 4:11 PM
  • 23 Replies
3 moms liked this

The struggle of learning to read is REAL y'all. Last night my 7yo daughter asked what makes a "CH" sound and of course I said C and H together make that sound and she accepted that and wrote her word.

This morning my daughter asks how to spell Christmas, well obviously Christmas is spelled with a CH but pronounced as a "K" sound and she gives me a confused look and asks why for other words it's pronounced CH and for other words it makes a Kuh sound.

Well hot damn, I don't actually bloody know. Have you all heard of SIGHT WORDS? Yeah, they're all the really confusing words that are spelled the same but have different sounds and the question my daughter asked me this morning is the same question X26 that her teacher at school gets, maybe more because the parents of THOSE kids don't know either.

And that, my friends, is why we give our kids teacher gifts because the english language makes no fucking sense.

by on Dec. 28, 2017 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2017 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Then there  is the fact an elementary teacher has 25-30 ankle biters demanding his/her attention for 6-8 hours straight. Also, don't get me started on glitter glue and scissors. I teach high school seniors for a reason. No stupid art projects and only 54 minutes with them.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2017 at 11:33 AM

English is the hardest language to learn.

TheMommyTaxi
by Member on Dec. 29, 2017 at 2:07 PM

Those are the "blends" and they are taught differently than the sight words.  They go thru a list of the blend sounds...

flowerfunleah
by Member on Dec. 29, 2017 at 11:31 PM

I don't recall learning this in school and I was the kid that went to kinder at 4 just cause I was reading but I don't remember actually learning things like that and because I don't remember learning it I'm finding it difficult to help my kiddo with it. 

Quoting TheMommyTaxi:

Those are the "blends" and they are taught differently than the sight words.  They go thru a list of the blend sounds...

mommyof11050307
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2017 at 11:33 PM
From volunteering in my kids classrooms and dealing with some parents with their sports teams I would choke someone.
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Dec. 29, 2017 at 11:49 PM
Bump
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2017 at 11:59 PM

The problem is that so many digraphs (and even singles) have the "main rules," which apply at different times and are dependent on various factors, and then they have a million exceptions. And then you have times when the sounds do not obey any of the rules (or exceptions) given to them, and are "jail words" (disobedient words that follow no rules).

I'm not a teacher, for the record. Just a homeschooling mom. However, I'm in the middle of teaching my third child to read (and the first two kids who learned to read are dyslexic). I hate teaching phonics with a passion, for just the reasons the OP stated. My third and last kiddo learning to read is autistic (on the more severe end of the spectrum) and most of what he knows is scripted. When I tell him that a letter, a sound, a digraph, or whatever has rules it follows, and then the very next lesson we run across a word that gives the middle finger to the taught rules, it makes me want to toss it all out the window and just teach reading with whole language instruction instead of phonics. 

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

TheMommyTaxi
by Member on Dec. 30, 2017 at 10:03 AM
3 moms liked this

Here is one we use in my district

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2017 at 1:54 PM
Truth!
Marti123
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2017 at 8:05 PM

My DH makes this joke all the time. Especially when the "same" word, meaning identical pronunciations mean completely different things, he always asks our kids in a goofy voice--" why is it like this?" They retort, "because it's the English language & it makes no sense." LOL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)