Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I could never be an elementary teacher and this is why.

Posted by   + Show Post

The struggle of learning to read is REAL y'all. Last night my 7yo daughter asked what makes a "CH" sound and of course I said C and H together make that sound and she accepted that and wrote her word.

This morning my daughter asks how to spell Christmas, well obviously Christmas is spelled with a CH but pronounced as a "K" sound and she gives me a confused look and asks why for other words it's pronounced CH and for other words it makes a Kuh sound.

Well hot damn, I don't actually bloody know. Have you all heard of SIGHT WORDS? Yeah, they're all the really confusing words that are spelled the same but have different sounds and the question my daughter asked me this morning is the same question X26 that her teacher at school gets, maybe more because the parents of THOSE kids don't know either.

And that, my friends, is why we give our kids teacher gifts because the english language makes no fucking sense.

by on Dec. 28, 2017 at 4:11 PM
Replies (21-23):
midjet117
by Member on Jan. 31, 2018 at 11:41 AM

lol Christmas has a K sound because in italian CH makes a K sound. English gets its words from many different languages. That's why there are so many exceptions to the rules. And I have heard of sight words. They're basically words that kids have to memorize in stead of learning how to sound out. Not the best way to teach but the people who write these standards aren't geniuses either.

midjet117
by Member on Jan. 31, 2018 at 11:44 AM

German is a difficult one too

Quoting aetrom: I gaurantee this is not true! There are much harder languages. Romanian is simple to read and write but it is extremely complicated from a grammar standpoint. I hear hungarian is hard on both counts. English has a very simple grammar, while the writing is complicated it is by far the hardest. ;)
Quoting emarin77:

English is the hardest language to learn.

littlesippycup
by Member on Feb. 1, 2018 at 2:24 PM
Last year I volunteered a lot at Dds school. This year, not so much. Good luck with your kiddo. We did a lot of ABC Mouse before DD started school and in kindergarten...I let them teach her that stuff while I sat there and clapped and said things like “oh I get it”
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)