Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8 yo googling inappropriate content

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2018 at 4:38 PM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hey guys, 

So- I recently found out that my 8 year old has been googling inappropriate stuff.  He's super low tech, doesn't play video games, do much online, but in school they recently learned how to use Google Image Search (totally not blaming school- just giving reference).  About a week ago, I had noticed that he *might* have (totally did) found and looked at an old Playboy magazine of my husbands, you know that one I should have hid ages ago that was among about 50 other appropriate magazines in our spare bathroom??  So, since he'd been spending more time online with his newfound "I know how to Google!" skill, I decided to look at our history- and now here I am.

Among the things he googled, there was "wemmen showing nakid parts"  "nakid wemmen" "naked"  and a few others, on about 5 separate days over the past 2 months.

Obviously I feel like a complete moron for not locking up our computers, and making sure Safe Search was on, and I'm completely kicking myself for it.

Please tell me this is 'normal'.. I mean, curiousity is normal- I don't want to (and didn't) shame him for being curious about naked bodies, or even thinking it was something he wanted to see.  The more of my mom friends I talk to, they're pretty split on "oh god, totally normal.. my kid did that once..." to "Holy SHIT, why would he even THINK to google something like THAT, I am SO sorry".

We had a long talk, I tried to find some balance between telling him it's ok to be curious, but not ok to google this stuff.  1 day later, google search ( and he KNOWS I can see what he searches now), "naked monsters".  Confronted him on that, all I get is "I don't know.. ".

Talk to me :(

by on Jan. 19, 2018 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 5:22 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't think it's that big of deal.  He's curious.  He's 8, not 8 months.  Keep the lines of communication open and keep tabs on the computer searches.  

.namaste.
by New Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mjande4:

I don't think it's that big of deal.  He's curious.  He's 8, not 8 months.  Keep the lines of communication open and keep tabs on the computer searches.  

Thank you :)  

terpmama
by Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 5:25 PM
4 moms liked this
I agree with pp... the more “no” you make it the sneakier he’s gonna get... I’d throw some parental locks up and have open conversations about it
VintageToker
by New Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 6:11 PM
2 moms liked this
I don’t find it to be a big deal and my child did that around 8 years old also and at a friends house. They were actually on YouTube and found a video that talked about sex and positions and decided to find more answers to their curious minds. We sat them down and talked about a lot of different things and made sure they understood how inappropriate it is for kids and we covered topics of how it’s against the law to take pictures of themselves naked or other people etc.. huge discussion!

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2018 at 4:13 PM
3 moms liked this

In addition to the talks you've already had with him, I'd tell him that while it's normal to be curious, not everything on the internet is true or accurate, so he should, and can, come to you with questions so you know he's getting correct information.

Keep the computer in a space where you can see what he's doing on it.

Limit his screen time, and make it a house rule that he has to ask before getting on the computer.

Marti123
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2018 at 4:30 PM
2 moms liked this
Our computers are only out in the open, and tablets should be locked for child appropriate topics.

My DH tells the story about how he remembers trying to cut off the clothes , from sears catalog “girls” because he was very curious what was under their clothes really, really young, I think it is super weird, but DH seems to be a stable healthy person, Lol. It will be OK & totally normal, you got it locked down now.
SissyAnn141
by Member on Jan. 24, 2018 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

He is normal, and I would keep your computer in  a common room.

I found out my son was doing it also but only when my computer got a BAD BUG.

Make sure you have Web Root on your computer.

Shy_Dia
by Member on Jan. 24, 2018 at 10:45 PM
3 moms liked this
Nakid wemmen. I love it! It wasn't me mom, i swear, it must've been dad.

Ds' started out innocently. YouTube for sonic cartoons, which suggested other videos, then some more videos. I never knew tails was a girl! YouTube sonic gets around. Lol
aetrom
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2018 at 5:56 AM
2 moms liked this
I would say it is very normal. However I would be trying to explain why you think it is not a good idea. It is aslippery slope.
MomInANutHouse
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2018 at 9:13 PM
2 moms liked this
My 7yr old did the same thing on my phone. We told him it was ok to be curious but not appropriate and such. Then I saw he did it again and he lost his screen privileges for a while, then he had to be in the same room as me when he was using it (he would watch movies so I’d let him go in his room). He hasn’t tried in a long time though and now he has a kindle fire that I set on the kid mode so I don’t have to worry about it again for a while.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)