Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Truancy??

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2018 at 6:50 PM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this

My son is 8 in 2nd grade. He has missed 7 days of school. All for illnesses. (Strep throat twice, a severe sinus infection, and stomach flu). I just got a letter in the mail saying if he misses 2 more days the school will be contacting a truancy officer... O.o What do I do if he gets sick again? He has 3 months of school left... What will trauncy officer do?

by on Feb. 14, 2018 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HotJerZMama
by on Feb. 14, 2018 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Bring a doctors note. Would they rather you send him in sick and infect everyone?
Nicholy10
by Member on Feb. 14, 2018 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I've sent doctor's notes every single time he was sick

Quoting HotJerZMama: Bring a doctors note. Would they rather you send him in sick and infect everyone?

PinkButterfly66
by on Feb. 14, 2018 at 6:53 PM

Does the child have a doctor's note for the missed days?

UpSheRises
by Member on Feb. 14, 2018 at 6:54 PM
Maybe it’s related to state attendance requirements.

What are the laws in your state?
Nicholy10
by Member on Feb. 14, 2018 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, every single one

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Nicholy10
by Member on Feb. 14, 2018 at 6:55 PM

I'm not really sure..

Quoting UpSheRises: Maybe it’s related to state attendance requirements. What are the laws in your state?

PinkButterfly66
by on Feb. 14, 2018 at 6:57 PM
3 moms liked this

Then I would be contacting the school and demanding to know why you were sent the letter.  I'd throw the ball back in their court.  Someone is being lazy and not doing their job and sending the letter out to all homes whether the absences were excused or not.  

Quoting Nicholy10:

Yes, every single one

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

UpSheRises
by Member on Feb. 14, 2018 at 8:42 PM
I bet the school has mandatory minimums to maintain compliance with funding requirements.

They’ve gotta have a process to follow to cover their ass. After X amount of absences Y happens. Then step 2, then 3 and so on. This allows them to show they’ve taken approprIte measures to ensure compliant attendance.

Quoting Nicholy10:

Yes, every single one

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

PrincessAsmommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2018 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. Give it back to the school and make them explain why they haven't excused each absence that had a dr's note. I could understand if you didn't have one and you were closing in on the district's limit but this doesn't make sense.

Our schools don't have an absence limit. I'm sure that after a while they will to be sure that everything's ok but I've never heard of a truancy officer getting involved. I know there used to be one in one of the high schools I attended back in the 80s but they aren't there anymore.

SissyAnn141
by Member on Feb. 14, 2018 at 9:47 PM
2 moms liked this

You need a copy of every note for your records.

Call the Doctor office and explain and ask for copies make sure your butt is covered.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)